Mk2 windscreens

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by jmsheahan, Sep 13, 2010.

1. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Following on from this thread ( http://clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222036 ) I have yet another crack, less than a week after having the other repaired:thumbd: Seriously fuming at the councils incompetance.

[​IMG]

A few queries that I'd appreciate some advice on:

I'm hoping VW still sell the tinted windscreen I need. Does anyone happen to know what type of glass 90 spec mk2 GTI's came with from the factory? I don't think it's green glass, just looks darker than clear and is stamped 'tinted'.

Will I need to replace the windscreen seal or can I get away with reusing the old one?

Also, if anyone has any advice as to whether I can try to get any form of compensation from the council that would be great. Having the damn road finished would be a superb start! I doubt it somehow but it's very annoying, not to mention costly, that I've had one chip repaired, a cracked headlight and now this all from that one road that wasn't finished properly.

Thanks

2. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

No one know? I've found that BBT do clear and green but I don't think that's what I'm after.

3. Fray16v Forum Member

had a look on vagcat and they only list a blue 191845101E or green 191845101H tint on 90 spec windsceens.

4. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Superb thankyou :thumbup:

That narrows it down to two types. BBT sell clear and green tint. No mention of blue. Will be trying VW tomorrow but I'm betting the glass is obsolete. Best pic I have of the glass - looks greeny in this pic?

[​IMG]

5. thegave Forum Member

"Green glass" isn't green, well not unless you look really hard anyway. It's just darker than standard glass and it looks like what you have.

I have a feeling the blue tint Fray16v listed refers to the green glass windscreen with the blue top tint.
    Like this:
    [​IMG]

6. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Ah ha, thankyou! Must be the green style then :thumbup:

On a side note I've just spotted this in the classifieds which refers to a blue tint ( http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222290 ) and it's definitely not that blue.

Thanks guys, now to see if it's still available from VW tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  7. thegave Forum Member

Wow wtf that's cool. I've never seen blue glass before.

Good luck, practically nothing is available anymore *grumble mumble*

8. Fray16v Forum Member

window glasses, seals
    1 191845101
    windshield glass (laminated)
    /
    (1) 191845101A
    green /
    (1) 191845101H
    windshield glass (laminated) with tinted zone
    green /
    (1) 191845101E
    blue /
    2 165845011A
    windshield glass (laminated) / (with moldings)
    green / G60
    (2) 191845011D
    windshield glass (laminated) / (with moldings)
    clear glass / G60

i just relayed what's on vagcat.

just had another look and it list's the side and rear windows with green or blue. and the side's and rear don't have tinted sunstrips????

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  9. Fray16v Forum Member

and this has tinted printed on it too 4th pic.

see i'm not going daft![:D]

10. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

Hold a piece of white paper inside the screen and look at it from the outside to get an idea of the colour.

The windscreen people had me do this a while ago when I didn't know what colour tint I had, its not just my daft idea!

11. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Thanks for the help everyone.

Got one from national windscreens in the end. 70 fitted. Bargain.

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

Why is it the council's fault? There's always stones and debris on the road. Maybe you were too close to the car in front?

13. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Well it's sods law at the end of the day but it's mainly the local council's incompetance due to them resurfacing the road recently, by not putting the final finishing tarmac surface down so the road was left FULL of loose stone chips. This is also the same council that refused to paint a section of road due to a dead badger being in the way recently :thumbd:

I was not tailgating the car in front ;)

Like I say sods law, no proof, you only have my word I wasn't tailgating yada yada etc etc, however two smashes and a headlight in one week is a bit of a joke to say the least. I bet I'm not the only victim from that stretch either..

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  14. Fray16v Forum Member

take another route then and save you'r wallet getting lighter:lol:

it's usually pot hole's up here and they never fix them. but that's the councils for you scr*w the motorist.

15. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Get onto the council. Some years ago I had a split tyre. The tyre place gave me a letter saying it was not standard damage but due to pothole damage on a side wall. I wrote to the council and told them I had an economy tyre fitted as I was about to sell the car and was not being greedy, they paid up. I think you should give it a try and if they attempt to wriggle out of it keep on at them until they get fed up. Dripping tap syndrome usually works, don't budge. If my wheels had been damaged I would make them replace them or take them to court. They will pay up 10 minutes before the case is due to be heard.