MK3 Air-Con in a MK2

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Cian, Jul 17, 2013.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. yes
    2-3. all depends on how you want it to look
    4. depends how you want it all to be controlled

for a/c you need a simple on/off switch, can find a mk2 dash mounted one or mount up a switch like I linked to above inside the mk2 slider housing to be pressed when you move it over to fully cold. likewise with recirculation switch either mk2 dash mounted or rig something up to direction slider to be pressed at the relevant positions :)

choose either mk3 or mk4 fan control modul to run it all, then need matching car loom to go with it. can use either to run a basic mk4 a/c setup, mk3 recirculation switch controls a vacuum solenoid, mk4 it triggers an electric motor direct. either way its just a simple on/off switch. mk4 is probably the easiest option since more likely to find it all, just note the mk4 has no fuses on the FCM so you need to put one inline with the wiring to battery. mk3 fcm has fuses mounted into the top of the unit

2. Ozgti New Member

Thank you

3. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

I've started fitting the mk3 aircon and have some posts on the mk2 golf forum.
    I found a few issues depending upon which route you go.
    MK3 heater flap box. When I connected my MK2 slider controls I found the slider worked in reverse and because of that I'm using the MK2 heater box with the MK2 slider controls.
    The MK3 aircon box is obviously larger than the MK2. When I tried fitting the mK2 flap unit mated to the MK3 aircon box the fresh air opening in the plenum chamber was about 40mm out. I needed to chop a section out of the bulkhead and make a 40mm deep box (35mm would have been better!) that has been welded in to allow the fresh air opening to line-up. Thankfully my trusty mobile welder has done the biz. It now needs a bit of fettling to tidy it up.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  4. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Update...
    I pm'd davidut5 since he makes no mention on bulkhead mods. That is because his car is LHD and the bulkhead moulding is more favourable!
    Others doing the same on RHD cars will need to mod the bulkhead to make the MK3 HVAC fit!

5. rubjonny

looking forward to pics of the affected area :)

6. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

7. rubjonny

looking at those pics it seems like the mk4 ac box fits in a mk2 better than the mk3 one, looking at the pics of my mk4 airbox it doesnt poke out as far as your mk3 one compared to mk2...

the mk3 fan just has live and earth on it, the blower resistor is mounted separately same as the mk4 golf one and to use it you would have to adapt the mk3 slider wiring. for an easy life just mount the mk2 fan resistor on the mk3 fan/box and put the mk3 fan live and earth to the 2 spades on the inside of the mk2 resistor

8. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

So perhaps using the MK4 box is the way to go.......for "late adopters"
    I'll take a another look at the MK2 for where the resistor is located and do as you suggest. Thanks.

9. davidut5 Forum Member

The mk2 blower switch has only 3 positions, the mk3 had 4. If you use the mk2 resistor it will be a pair, but i dont know how it will do with a higher power blower, maybe John knows. If you use the mk3 resistor wont work nice, you would have speed 1 2 then 4, or 1 3 and 4. Its a big step if you jump one. Anyway 4 speed positions its much better than 3, but mk2 only have 3.
    I used a climatronit blower module as it was what i had, and used 3 resistor to have 3 blower speeds.

10. rubjonny

from what I've seen yes it looks like it goes more directly to the bulkhead, but dont take my word for it till I actually get mine in :lol: have seen a few pics out there though and they just seem to drill the required holes and its almost in?

good point about the power requirements, would be the switch which is the issue I expect rather than the resistor though. on the mk2 golf the fastest speed is powered by the aircon relay. might be better to use the mk3 resistor also as its fitted to the blower housing so it gets cooled by the airflow and may end up neater too:
    Clipboard01.jpg

if you want 4 speed you can use an early corrado blower switch, the mk2 plug will fit it just need to add a wire for the extra speed to the empty socket.

erreesse likes this.
  11. davidut5 Forum Member

I had some trouble with the fuse melting for the blower. It was a few days very hot and ran on max speed, the original fuse is crap engineered and melted. On my climatronic blower module there is no load on the switch. The power to module for tr 1,2,3 comes from 0.25w resistors.

Yeah, i opened my switch and it had provisions for one more speed and one missing pin in the plug. I will look for a new corrado switch if they are out there. Used ones would be even harder to get locally. Thanks.

12. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Jon electrics isn't my strong point :)....I haven't located the MK2 blower resistors so will no doubt have to trace the blower wiring....and there was me hoping they'd have identical connectors!
    So it looks like I need 4 speed fan switch from an early Corrado which is exactly the same fitment as my MK2? Seems like Dubstock can sort me out with that.

13. davidut5 Forum Member

The resistor is on the motor housing, its the metal plate i believe.
    It has 4 pins on it, one is ground the others are positive for speed 1 2 and 3 coming from the switch.
    On the mk3, the resistor pack has 4 wires all of them come from the switch for speed 1 2 3 and 4 all positive, ground goes directly to the blower motor.
    On the back of the switch is noted + positive from fusebox and the speeds, I II etc go to the resistor pack, simple enough.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  14. rubjonny

dont have to get a corrado switch, just means you'll have to skip one of the speeds. can always run the wiring for all speeds then just plug corrado switch in later and just have 1,2 and 4 or whatever

15. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

OK, thanks David and Jon. Let me see if I can suss it out. As noted before electrics aren't my forte....still trying to work out what...(edit is....what!)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  16. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Can someone tell me how to remove the resistor cover on the MK3 blower housing...it isn't obvious!

Thanks in advance.

17. davidut5 Forum Member

Does it look like this? One bolt and lift up.

18. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

I wish it did, It isn't that obvious - I'll try to upload a pic!
    The blower housing has a plastic cover where the cables route from the connector which I can move but not remove. There is also a glued oblong plastic panel with VALEO written on it.

19. davidut5 Forum Member

On the mk3 its not on the blower motor housing, its on the vaporizer upper housing.

Attached Files:

20. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks David. Located it....
    Am I just over thinking this?
    I've taken a second look at the HVAC unit and the cabling and controls that came with it....
    Perhaps I can just remove the MK3 connectors from the MK3 blower switch connector and put them directly on the MK2 blower switch? Then All I'd need to do was to find the correct live feed?
    ...realise I perhaps didn't mention I'd got all the MK3 wiring!!!!