MK3 Air-Con in a MK2

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Cian, Jul 17, 2013.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you need a mk3 1.8-2.0 pas pump, ac and non-ac are the same they all need to be a bit deeper to clear the fatter ribbed belts, or you could have a look for a dished pas pulley that might work you find them on late 16v and I think G60 but not sure if they're the right offset?

mk3 a/c models would have 90a as standard as will the diesel ones so not hard to fine, even better though mk4 golf alternators fit right on the mk3 self-tensioner pulley brackets so you have a massive selection of cars to choose from. Mine has a beefy 140a off a PD mk4. not because I need 14a, but because it was the right price :lol:

AndyBa likes this.
  2. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Jon. A couple of queries though.

Does the MK3 PAS pump have the same input/output fittings as my MK2? Looks like it from the pics on ebay.

Just put the MK3 ribbed belt tensioner bracket against where it will fit and noticed that the PAS "swivel" mount is shorter. Does this mean the MK3 PAS adjuster is completely different so also needs swapping over?
    ...edit....This YouTube vid seems to indicate I need swap the adjuster too! ..skip to 6mins in

Do I need to swap the associated wiring for the higher output alternator?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  3. rubjonny

you can fit a mk2 pas pipe to a mk3 pump no problem, if you can get the mk3 pas pipe then go for it as it has a better design banjo bolt but I've been using a mk2 pipe on my abf pump for years.

yes you need to swap everything to mk3 golf, dont need the mk3 alternator cable but I would get one as then you'll have the right plug on it for the charge wire and just need to adapt the car end. I splice the nice mk3 plug and wire to the mk2 spade but thats just me

AndyBa likes this.
  4. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks yet again Jon.
    And there was me thinking I'd be able to get away with minimal changes. How wrong I was !
    The MK3 PAS adjuster looks like the MK2 alternator adjuster and more reliable than the MK2 PAS adjuster.
    Found the required spares just need some decent weather to help progress.

5. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

So recently I got a MK3 PAS pump, bracket adjuster and a 90AMP alternator. All off the same seller so he kindly charged me the cost of sending in one parcel which made a nice saving. Nothing has happened since then until today. Some welcome sunshine to help proceedings!
    I took the standard MK2 radiator off and trial fitted the MK3 condenser I originally got with the HVAC and other bits. It's gonna be a tight fit and I will have to mod the slam panel to cater for the compressor connection. I want to mount the condenser as low as possible but the cross member is restricting my options.
    I'm hoping I can use my existing single fan set-up, can anyone confirm?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  6. rubjonny

the ac models had a beefier fan but its the same fit as your standard one, so that is easily swapped later if need be see how the existing fan works out

7. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Just seen this...Thanks Jon.

Today I took the opportunity to swap the crank aux belt pulley over and dismantle the existing alternator and PAS setup.
    However when I came to fit the MK3 alternator/compressor/PAS bracket one of the "webs" on the back is fouling one of the waterpump bolts. Is this normal....As I type this I'm just wondering if I've put too long a bolt in the waterpump which didn't matter before??..
    edit...looked on You Tube and that might be the case will check later today.
    It also looks like the "S" shape water pipe might need the top shortening by an inch or so to stop it fouling the bracket.
    I'm hoping the PAS connections swap over OK without leaks 'cos I want to return the car to drivable condition asap.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  8. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Sussed it with fresh eyes this morning.
    The errant bolt needs to be put the other way round with the nut on the outside hence no fouling of the casting.

9. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Yesterday I tried to fit the ribbed crank/alternator/compressor belt however the one I have is too short 6PK1148. It was tantilising close. I've done a few searches on the T'internet and it's showing that it should be 6PK1153. Not sure the extra 5mm is enough though (I believe the number relates to circumference of the belt). Can anyone confirm?

10. davidut5 Forum Member

I have 1120, but to fit i have to remove one alternator bolt. If i fit a longer one the tensioner does not work well so i have some parts not compatible. [:D]
    Etka lists 1153 for petrol engines, 1145 diesel.

11. rubjonny

1148 is correct for mk3+aircon, are you sure you have the right set of pulleys? maybe the tensioner wheel spring mech is playing up I've seen them seize up

12. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks David and Jon. So far as I'm aware the pulleys are all of a MK3 Golf but not sure which model!
    There isn't much clearance to get a spanner on the end of the adjuster so I've used a long bar instead and appear to have full adjustment and it gradually returns. There is a little tab on the chassis rail which it scrapes against so I will need to mod that with the hammer.
    I'll take David's advice and remove one of the alternator bolts and se if that does the biz.

13. rubjonny

you say gradually returns, the spring pack should be very strong and will flip straight back as soon as you let go. so does sound like its trashed to me.

the way I do it is get a big adjustable spanner and hook it over the pulley arm, heave it downwards

14. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Ah you mean over the bar not the nut...got it.
    I think it's tensioned OK because I'm using a bar in excess of a metre an a half! My 40cm bar doesn't give me enough leverage but I'm doing it againt the roller.
    I've taken one of the alternator bolts out and still can't get the belt over. I'm going to get a slightly longer belt.

15. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

I got a belt which is 1155mm and I still needed to take one of the alternator bolts out to get it to fit - sorted!
    I now need to get the correct PAS v belt since the one I have is too short.

16. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Last week I received the aircon rad from Latvia. It came well packed and was undamaged.
    I also bought the correct bottom hose. It looks like I'll need the correct top hose and longer tubing for the return back to the expansion tank too!.
    I fitted the PAS / Waterpump V belt and rigged-up the original rad since I want to flush the cooling system before installing the new rad. I've also made some metal strips so I can fit the Lupo condensor and original fan cowling to the new rad.
    The down-turn in weather has briefly halted procedings!

17. rubjonny

When I fitted my G60 aircon rad I used a mk2 16v and early 1.3 hose with a MK4 upper hose flange inserted, this saves having the long thin hose draped all the way over. Might help you figure your routing out as well. my rad doesnt have the nipple on it anyway, since G60 top rad hoses have the thin hose in, but you can block yours off with a short length of hose.

The random bit of hose cable tied to it is just to stop any chance of rubbing on the shroud, the factory G60 has a metal hook clamp to hold the hose steady but theres not much chance I'll find one of those :lol:
    20190703_145036.jpg

18. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Interesting.
    The bottom and top rad hoses route the same way as my standard 8v rad. ie alternator side of the engine bay. I think the existing top hose would work as a temp solution but I've ordered the "real deal" from the same guys who supplied the rad in Latvia (£18 as opposed to circa £30 from a UK supplier) - should have done that in the first place!
    I've also ordered the expansion tank return pipe since mine is probably 5cms too short!
    Nice tidy HT guides Jon [:D]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  19. rubjonny

I do have a little of the old HT OCD. Though now you mention it I've noticed lead #2 isnt quite right so I'll have to adjust :lol:

20. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Over the weekend I installed the new larger rad. I've "stretched" the original top hose until I recieve the correct one and filled up with antifreeze mix.
    The bottom hose is getting hot so coolant is circulating but whereas the fan would cut in within 5mins of the thermostat opening (old rad when the car remains static) that didn't happen today. The guage has only got just over half way and no more, but then I lose my bottle....I've overheated it a couple of times before!
    I guess it might be because its a bit cooler this week or perhaps the rad is more efficient? I still expected the fan to kick in tho. The fan works using a paper clip across the contacts. The rad temp sensor is the same one from the old rad.
    Any thoughts? Maybe I just let it run longer and only worry when the guage is over 3/4?