mk3 golf aBF - fitting crank sensor

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Icy, Apr 21, 2008.

1. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Picked the CPS up this morning.....€189!!! It's warm now, but it's going to be nice and dry tomorrow, so i'll do it then...

Just as well i picked it up today, it refuses to start now, unless i give it a load of throttle...and then threatens to stall on me constantly....GRR! I will beat it into submission!

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

basically a lack of CPS will mean you wont get a spark. its worth checking to see if youre getting a spark whilst its cranking but not starting

3. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Checked, and its not sparking right whilst cranking, once started, its erratic until fully warmed up and revved a bit. Once thats done, it's 'fine' but still stalls out more often than it was, which i thought was physically impossible.

I've replaced everything else, bar the ECU, so if this doesn't fix it, i'll become rapidly hairless :p

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

well that ought to do the trick, in theory

5. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Had to take it to a damn garage after all, filter and the sump plug were seized and i nearly broke two fingers trying to get them loose. Sensor is swapped out....but still being a b'stard and stalling out/hesitating - i've replaced EVERYTHING. New Coil, new dizzy, new CPS, ECU Relay - WHAT MORE IS THERE?!

Coolant Temperature Sensor likely to do that?

6. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Yup that's what happnes when you overtighten the sump plug- It seizes! It can be a ballache of an exercise to free it off too.

Can't rememebr the torque setting off the top of my head but I'm sure someone will know.

Er coolant sensor is a possilbitliy as is perhaps the ECU and fuel pump relays.

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

40nm yo

8. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

And as if by magic someone comes along... :lol: Cheerz Matt :o)

9. KAI

Kai Forum Member

All the Relays are NEW.

Excuse the dimness, but, could someone explain why the coolant temperature sensor has such an effect? :)

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the coolant sensor tells the ecu how cold it is. on a cold morning it stuffs more fuel in, but once its hot it leans off

stick a multi meter across the sensor and measure the resistance... measure the voltage across the wiring too

do you have vagcom?

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

12. KAI

Kai Forum Member

After reading a couple of posts, i have an idea of where it is, and that it is indeed the problem thats been holding me back! Oh well, at least i have a nice shiny new ignition system :p

When its a little lighter than it is at the moment, i'll go check the resistance.

What should the voltage across the wiring be?

Don't have VAGCOM, although there were no codes to be read yesterday, they bunged a Bosch KTS650 on it.

Although, that brings up another slightly tangential topic - what do i need to do VAGCOM, just a laptop and adapter/software?

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i think the wiring should be 10v or 11v

either way it should be bang on 10.0v or 11.0v

its on the side of the head, the gearbox side. its a white plug, 2 pin

for vagcom yuo need a pc and a cable. the cable costs 15. the software is free

14. KAI

Kai Forum Member

Aaaha - located the sensor, its bloody cold out there!

Voltage across the terminals is 4.98v and the resistance in this temperature, which is -2*c, is 3400ohms....

15. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

looking at the table it seems as if it cld be faulty. unless you have your temperatures wrong. resistance should be nearer 7000 ohms at that temp.

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i got my crank sensor out today and the cable was detaching from the back. i was only planning to get it out and change the seal but i needed a new one and it was 1320! gsf had one and closed at 1400. i had to borrow my mums car to get there.

then i realised something... the old one only had one rubber seal, the new one had two, so i would have never known and it would have still leaked

i put the new one in, in theory its fixed. i then finished off my breather system. the catch tank now goes back to the inlet which should give many benefits, including a crank case vacuum, which should (amongst other things) help keep the oil in as it wont blow past seals

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it fell apart. there is only 1 seal, there should be 2. might explain the leaking hopefully!

18. Sid Millions New Member

Hi I am a newby on here and it looks very good. Tons of info.
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to find the free Vag Com and the 15 lead mentioned above?
    Thanks guys.

Simon
    1996 8v Colour Concept

19. KAI

Kai Forum Member

It's all fixed! Woohoo!! Turned out to be the Coolant Temperature Sensor all along. Once replaced, all was right with the world [:D]

Now i just have to repair the damage a tractor did to my front end -_-

20. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Glad it's sorted dude - I burned the **** out my fingers when changing mine last year! I forgot that hot coolant is well... hot :lol:

Meant to add for Matt - Just checked it the other day in WinELSA:
    ABF with aluminium sump torque is 20NM. So get thr breaker bar out :lol: as apparently its 40NM for the sheet metal sump.