Mk3 GTI AGG timing belt change

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Goosenatormk3gti, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Goosenatormk3gti New Member

Don't know if it's just worthwhile changing the complete dizzy cos you can't buy the sensor on it's own.well I don't think you can anyway.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you can if its a bosch dizzy, bit of a git to swap on the agg as you need to remove a circlip then lever the trigger wheel off which isnt easy to do without damage on agg/ady since it only has 1 window. its either that or remove dizzy and strip it down completly. if you keep em peeled genuine/bosch dizzys come up on ebay quite often, just make sure its AGG/ADY and not 2E code

3. Goosenatormk3gti New Member

Just got the sensor off eBay!I phoned volksparts a week ago and they told me you couldn't replace it but when I phoned VW this morning they quoted me 76 quid so I had a look and got the same one for 36 .not bad !!is there any guides on here about stripping the old sensor out.I've got a bentley manual.might be in that but I'd need to have a look later.

4. rubjonny

its in the bentley, but as i say the problem is you onbly have 1 trigger window in your dizzy so you cant lever it out so easily without damage. so that means stripping the dizzy off knock out the punch pin for the gear and fully strip the thing

5. Goosenatormk3gti New Member

just an update!!!went to the scrappys n got a new plug that goes into the hall sender as the 2 of them wer a bit cracked.got home and bared each wire and soldered each wire individually.cleared the code and started engine.ran fine so i turned it off and left a few minutes.turned it back on and guess what???still got the same problem!!!!LOL.

genuine hall sender arrived today so il strip it out dizzy from block tomoro afternoon and take it into work on monday.will update when i get it back together on monday night.still the cam position error so heres hoping the sender should cure it!!!!

6. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

Rubbish! does it missfire on idle? going by what john is saying is the crank sensor int he dizzy?
    Shouldve pocketed the dizzy while you was at the scrappy!?

7. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

Crank sensor is on the block under the dizzy and goes into the bellhousing to pick up the signal from the flywheel. It's not unusual for the wires to break, so have a good look at them

8. Goosenatormk3gti New Member

would the crank sensor throw up the cam position sensor like?

9. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

Depends what you're using to read it with

10. Goosenatormk3gti New Member

just down loaded vag com tonight so il try that tomoro mornin.got vag diagnostic reader.

11. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

Not 100% sure, but don't thing it has a cam sensor. Will confirm on monday when start stripping mine down

12. Goosenatormk3gti New Member

no but cam sensor fault means hall sender according to everyone else no??

13. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

As neo saids it depends on your reader but could try crank sensor.
    Still working out whats wrong with my one aswell ***

14. rubjonny

cam sender will mean the hall sender, the crank sensor is identified as engine speed sensor on most readers. the fact that clearing the cam sensor fault makes car run ok for a bit proves its not the crank sensor. your ecu is going into limp because its not getting the right signal from the dizzy

like i said earlier, if crank sensor or wiring was faulty the car wouldn't run at all so dont worry about it for now.

15. Goosenatormk3gti New Member

Well got the hall sender swapped over and it's still the same!sometimes when the car heats rite up it runs fine and doesn't stop revving at 5000rpm!strange one.dunno what to try next!

16. Goosenatormk3gti New Member

[​IMG]

finally got vag com workin and it came up with this.dont think the figures are right are they?

17. Goosenatormk3gti New Member

WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!

problem finally taken care of with the help of rubjonny!!!!cheers mate!!!!Finally got round to havin another shot of vag com.plugged it back in and got to the measuring block setting.the first zone was 5 and the second was at 12.let the engine get right up to temperature then slackened the bolt on the dizzy.turned the body of dizzy a couple of mm clockwise firstly and checked it and the data was showing 6 on zone 1 and 13 on zone 2 so i knew i had to turn it anti clockwise so gradually turned it anti clockwise until it was 1 on zone 1 and 8 on zone 2.bobs yer uncle!!!!tightened down the dizzy.JOB DONE!!!DELETED THE CAM POSITION CODE AND TOOK FOR A BLAST.WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!LIKE A NEW CAR!!!!PROB NEVER HAD TO CHANGE THE HALL SENDER IN THE FIRST PLACE BUT HEY HO.GO THERE IN THE END!!!!

[​IMG]

THATS THE WAY IT SHOULD LOOK IF YOU HAVE IT RIGHT .THE BOX WITH 1.0 IS ZONE 1 AND THE BOX WITH 8.0 IS ZONE 2 JUST TO BE CLEAR.

CHEERS GUYS IM AWAY FOR A BLAST!!