mk6 gti or Focus RS

Discussion in 'Mk6' started by M7R, Jun 15, 2009.

1. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I am serously considering having a 1/4 life crisis and getting rid of the mk1 and the Audi and just having a quick daily driver, and I will be honest here, I love the look of the new RS!! and for only 25k its silly peformance but useable every day too...

or do I go a little less in your face and get a mk6 GTi?

I prefer the look of the RS but i know the mk6 might be the more sensable bet, but I just cant grow to love the shape...might be better in 3 door though, and im not a massive fan of the newer interiors in vws..[:$]

they both get good reviews

http://www.channel4.com/4car/rt/ford/focus/28600/2

http://www.channel4.com/4car/rt/volkswagen/golf+gti/29341/2

and both would be ideal for the odd trackday too as im not giving them up...

hmm choices [:s]

2. James_mk2 Forum Member

Is the RS only a limited run? in which case are there any still available?

3. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Both fit the bill. Get down the dealers for a test drive.

4. craggsy Forum Member

New RS for me every day mate

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

if they did the RS in a less 'look at me, im a chav with money' colour then i would have that, but they don't so mk6 gti, understated (in comparison) and something to be proud of not embarrised about

6. James_mk2 Forum Member

Did see a green RS the other day and it didn't look nearly as good in the flesh as i was expecting/hoping but i'm sure they're an absolute weapon. What's the performance of the Mk6 like in comparison?

7. craggsy Forum Member

The blue is a great colour

8. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

not sure, the RS is going to be quicker if what the reviews say is true. But its a daily, you have to take your missus to places in it - i would feel a lot better doing it in a new mk6 gti

9. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

The RS is supost to be quicker and more of a drivers car, which is what I want, plus its nearly 100 horses more at 305.

on the point of taking the better half some where.... there is no better half, so thats that sorted :lol:

on the chav with money, that doesnt bother me, tbh I love the look and I like a car that stands out, but it will 100% be white that I have if I get one, I have seen both a mk6 gti in white round my way and ive seen 1 RS which was also white on a trailer on the motorway and by miles the RS looked the part, the mk6 just doesnt look enough.

According to fords website I can still order a RS, and they are built on the normal focus production line. but Ill ask at the dealers and find out :thumbup:

10. James_mk2 Forum Member

If you can get it in white then RS all the way, reckon they could hold their value better too if the original is anything to go by compared to the mk3/4 GTI (whichever was current at the time)
    Although that's possibly not a fair comparison :lol:

11. micky1 Forum Member

Neither! Keep your money and stay with an older car.

12. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

thats my point, if i was taking a hot girl out on a date, the mk6 is still civilised. She would think - this guys got a few bob and a nice car and doesn't seem like a boy racer. An RS would be different.

Its like an EVO, guys bloody love em but girls hate them, its all wings and spoilers and arches and they can't tell the difference between a chav 106 with kits all over it and a proper performance car.

Either way, they are both great. But im single, and i want a hot girl in my life, so am thinking of one thing only atm :lol: :lol:

13. Claypole Forum Junkie

Think I'd stick with an older car tbh:

[​IMG]

Or:

[​IMG]

:lol:

14. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

If it was me who had the choice id go for the RS in white, just looking at a picture of one now and it does look ace but are you not tempted to wait for a second hand one to come up? I know it might take a while but what you save you could keep the mk1 with the money you save and at least have something to mechanicaly play with.

15. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Focus RS is nice and lairy, but id take the Mk6 GTI every day. Cheaper to run, service, buy, insure and far more subtle. Less likely to have your front door pounded down by 5 meat heads stealing cars to order.

16. G-Man Forum Junkie

Focus RS - more exclusive, based on a good car, will still hold its value probably better than a mk6 gti given less will be bought and stands out more.

Not knowing from experience but how much better is the mk6 gti over the mk5?

Now my mate owned a mk1 Focus RS and for starters it seems the mk2 Focus RS has come some way since that. I loved the Mk1 Focus RS even though people didn't rate it.

17. G-Man Forum Junkie

Can I suggest something...Megane R26-R? :lol:

18. G-Man Forum Junkie

One of my ex's I still chat to a lot laugh's at the mk2 Golf but adores the mk4 gti as its got full leathers etc and even people at work and friends think the mk4 is ace :lol:

19. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Top Gear magazine did a good group test between the RS, Mk6 GTI, Abarth SS, and MiniJCW (June issue)

It was billed as `Who needs a 911`. Meaning if you are `downgrading` in the current climate, what`s your next best option (between 25-30k)

The Mini and Abarth quickly fall by the wayside, with the main fight coming down to the RS and Mk6.

They plump for the Mk6 in the end, because of it`s all round ability as opposed to the Focus`s more one-dimensional feel.

Couple of quotes;

EVO and other magazines have similar opinions; while the Focus is undoubtedly the faster/more powerful car, the Mk6 is better allround.

I haven`t driven either yet, but I`d love a go in an RS. However, if it`s as brutal as all the journos say it is then I can imagine it could get tiring on a day-to-day basis.

The general consensus seems to be that the Mk6 is great for commuting (as you`d expect), but is more than capable if you just want to go for a weekend blast.

I know where my money will be going... ;)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  20. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I went to ford today and my local place have had 1 RS which was a order one, so thats gone but their demo ones will be here in a month to 6 weeks, so I have already got my name down for a drive.

on a side note a friend did throw the cat among the pidgeons so to speak and suggested the roccro R20 which is due Sept / Oct time. (The dealer was vague on the dealivery time for a RS saying about 6 - 9 months...depends, but to be fair he didnt know that much about them and hadn't even see one yet) the Rocco is said to cost around the same and is nearly as quick... so Im off to hassle the dealers on thursday for info and waiting list times etc.