MotoMeter cluster MFA repair [Fix found]

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by NateS2, May 3, 2019.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hello there, Nathan doesnt come aroudn here any more it seems and his email address no longer works either unfortunately :(

The only thing I can see is a reference on page 2 for 'Panasonic low ESR "Gold" capacitors' and 'the B1 part is BC846 NPN', apart from that you probably know more than me :lol:

however if its only those 3 things that dont work, chances are the main board is fine. the issue is probably the speed sensor on the back of the cluster, or a break in the copper traces that feed it, so potentially an easy fix :)

2. Gti1990xyz New Member

Hi Jonny,

thanks for that, I found the LS70 transistor he mentioned as what he used to get it going but then discussed a more robust transistor.

I will go with your suggestions and order these cheap parts prior to removal. I have a spare binnacle supplied with car so I will have a 'plan B' should anything go wrong.

I had thought about other ways to replace the required 5 volts, a 12volt cigarette lighter USB port delivers 5 volts, I was going to use that supply as I don't have a 5 volts bench supply.

If I do get to this stage I will make a small video and list of parts for the forum.

Cheers,
    Garry

3. daNpy Forum Member

Why not use a 7805 to make the stable 5 V?
    Some resistors and capacitors also necessary I guess but it will work.

4. Gti1990xyz New Member

Hi Danpy,

thanks for this.

I am still looking into Rubjonnys suggestion of the speed sensor on the back of the cluster, I have not taken cluster out yet, I intend to find all parts, order then pull apart. Hall sensor 321907345B is expensive though, so not sure, I have a spare binnacle, I may see if the hall sensor on that works first, if anything like the hall sensor in the distributor then they can be function tested.

Cheers,
    Garry

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Gti1990xyz likes this.