MPG figure good/bad?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by YAZZ, Jul 4, 2006.

1. dubst16v Forum Member

mine is just as bad but ive had my Warm up regulator tweaked by stealth and i have got a heavy right foot lol

2. Drew21 Forum Member

you want to check the source of that petrol smell as a high pressure fuel leak in an engine bay translates very easily to kaboom. It could also be the cause of your poor mpg.

have a look at your plugs to see if there's any obvious mixture problems, sooting etc.

3. YAZZ Forum Member

thanks mate

4. theboymike Forum Junkie

Methinks that part of your problem lies with your procedure. The most accurate way to do it is:

Fill the tank and reset the odometer.
    Run the car until it's nearly empty.
    Refill the tank, and divide the mileage by (litres put in/4.54).

You're assuming the tank is empty when you fill up, which isn't the case. Even running the valver down so the needle was below the red, I still only managed to cram 50 litres in, meaning that providing it's filling to full capacity there's still 5 litres left in the tank.
    MPG worked out from 50 litres gave me a figure of 33mpg, assuming it was 55 drops it to 30mpg.

As long as you're doing a constant, sensible speed on the motorway (say 60-70) you should be getting good figures. Town driving will kill them, however.
    Saying that, I did 10 miles on my ahem, private test track the other day at a consistant 100-110mph, and still had the MFA reading about 26mpg.

I'd expect my style of driving to use a bit less fuel as it's mainly A roads with little urban, although it does regularly see the redline [:D] But then again, I'd expect an 8v under these conditions to be returning 35-40mpg.

Sounds like it could be running rich or has a leak. Worth working the mpg out properly first, though.

Might be worth having it set up.. a good tune never hurts ;)

5. dubst16v Forum Member

Id never do that....ran my car down to the dreggs once pefore and f*cked it right up.
    anyone else ever had that happen??

6. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    nah i always go from full to empty, sometimes i can hear the fuel pump drawing air in.....

my mum always does it with her diesel - now i wouldn`t do it with one of those

7. YAZZ Forum Member

just an update

just done 19 miles at 36 mph for an mpg of 42.5

8. jasonsingh Forum Member

i get 27 average on my mk3 8v and i drive like a granny most of the time lol

9. toddygti Forum Member

Digi

My Digi gives me a good 38mpg's on the Motorway and about 30 round the town.... must be really frugal but it does shift so no problem with performance.

10. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    just filled up and this 3 week period i`ve had 344 miles to 45 litres so 34.4 mpg - reasonable to me - mfa reads 32.6

11. bula_82 Forum Junkie

My MPG on the A3 is 35.2 [:$] [:D]

It was 35.8 when I got it [:s]