my mk1 Track Car (03 - present) - (now road legal!!)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by infinity, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Breadfan83 Forum Member

Just read through the entire thread.
    You've done a great job at an awesome racer.

And I just love the sound of that engine!!! Just sick!

2. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Looking and sounding great G nice work.

3. 16valver Forum Member

That sounds too good.

So the whole intake system are the only mods to the ABF? How much has it gained over a stock ABF?

4. infinity

infinity Forum Member

intake and exhaust are the mods, part of a bigger picture of future mods planned. ball park figure is in the region of 170-180hp. could ease a bit more out of it but the exhaust and intake is a little large for this engine [8(]

The good thing is its making power to the redline 7700 rpm, which is nice with a short box:thumbup:

5. madasafish100

madasafish100 Forum Member

This is a great build thread mate, just read the whole thing, im just starting on a very similar project, although not as much tube work. Get loads inspiration from the work you have done!

Just out of interest, how come you are still using the 020 gearbox, and does the extended shifter you have give it a really long throw? as im thinking of using an 020 for my build.

Also what do you mean by "3 mount" set up for the engine mounting? is it a custom configuration with custom mounts, or literally just binned the front mount and use a solid rear gearbox mount?

loving the work :thumbup:

sam

6. 16valver Forum Member

I am sure the extent of the engine plans and the design itself will be very impressive. Well done on the ITB/injector/airbox setup - looks (and sounds) the biz.

7. G-Man Forum Junkie

That video is great...but in real life its a whole different level! Brings back memories of some amazing engine noise!

8. infinity

infinity Forum Member

Hi Sam! Thanks for the kind words :thumbup:

I'm still using the 020 for several reasons, 1. to keep the weight down 2. parts are readily available 3. the box has ideal ratios for track work 4. The shift is much nicer than any other cable change box i've driven, 5. And of course as the motor is NA there is no gearbox killing torque around.

The extended shifter does have a fairly long throw, but i'm gonna re-fettle the linkage to make it a bit more slick, It feels great to drive with the shifter so close to the steering wheel.[:D]

There's nothing special about the 3 mount setup, i've binned the front panel so the front mount went too. I've added a torque damper style mount which attaches the rocker cover to the roll cage.

Picture courtesy of Chris Eyre

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  9. infinity

infinity Forum Member

:thumbup:

Sorry about the fuel spray, that was some weird stuff going on with the fan.... good thing no one was smoking:lol:

10. madasafish100

I think i will definitely consider the 020 for mine too then as it saves having to buy stupidly priced conversion mounts! Do you run yours with an LSD or have strengthened diff rivets? i was always led to believe the 020 wasnt up to much over 150 BHP.

This is a truly awesome build, thread and car!! will deff keep an eye on it :thumbup:

Keep up the good work, and keep the updates coming [:d]

11. romaingirardlamamy

romaingirardlamamy Forum Member

Yes this car really rock
    exhaust manifold is a real beauty and what a sound
    Loved the small details all the nice fitting and the double ramp fitting
    This fan didn't do lots of goods
    Romain

12. geordiegar Forum Member

Awesome car, can't wait to see it running an uprated engine on that inlet/outlet. :thumbup:

13. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Looking fantastic G. Nice work :clap:

Bet your grinning like a Cheshire Cat to sit in it again.

Is the front end cover complete? And will you be at Bedford in it? [:D]

Gurds

14. mk2sp Forum Member

Great job there my friend :thumbup: . I loved the sound on the dyno.. 180bhp sounds promising for the future. Go on :clap: .

I run my 20VT Mk2 on chipped k03 with a 020 box for 4 years with considerable hard track use on it. Only damaged after hard acceleration on a really bumpy greek road...[8(]

Would love to see the car on full spec and racing condition G. Video(s) also...[:*:]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  15. infinity

infinity Forum Member

I run mine with a Quaife diff with ARP diff bolts, and good quality oil changed every year!! Have you got a build thread??

16. infinity

infinity Forum Member

Thanks, what do you mean by double ramp fitting :thumbup:

Thanks, Engine is being developed behind the scenes but it may take some time yet;)

Thanks Gurds!

Loving it man!! I'll be at Bedford but blagging passenger rides, there weren't any spaces left so I decided not to push to get the car done:thumbup:

17. infinity

infinity Forum Member

def planning a trackday this year so will get some vids soon!!

here's a vid fron 2004 Donington Park.....

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=4515677342767389066#

oh and by the way thats my brother screaming and shouting....he always goes a bit crazy when I take him out must be the racer in him.....:lol:

18. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

:thumbup: Very refreshing to see that video again.

Just shows how much better spaced those ratios are compared to regular stuff.

G, pax seat will ready for you ;)

Gurds

19. mk2sp Forum Member

20. madasafish100

No i dont, i suppose i could do one for this project. Its just never going to be in the same league as this, and alot of other cars on here so didnt think it was really worth it. Might start taking some pics and slowly start making up a thread.
    The shell is in a bit of a state at the mo, and needs alot of in depth welding works like new floor pan and inner and outer sills and a whole new front end which i cant do myself, so have to get the shell in a good nick before i can make a proper start. Maybe start posting some pics in a week or so.
    This is the car a few years ago http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177891
    so maybe just update this.

I have built another one since http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207653

Cheers

Sam