My MK2 16v (Oettinger 1800e)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by woodpm, Feb 5, 2011.

1. woodpm

woodpm New Member

This the part you need Chris?
    [​IMG]

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Great, thanks.

Now you've shown there's even more on the pages either side, can I have those too? !!

I'm just trying to pull together all Oettinger conversions :thumbup:

3. dan_gti2004 Forum Member

Nice car

I thought Oettinger 16v engines had a different style inlet manifold?? Like this...........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

There are Oettinger conversions on std engines, aswell as the Oettinger 16v.

From the info above:

1800 E / II - 8v VW head
    2000 E / II - 8v VW head, bored stroked to 2.0

1800 E/16 / II - 16v Oettinger head
    2000 E/16 / II - 16v Oettinger head, bored stroked to 2.0

II - assume it means Golf Mk2?

Then under 16V:

2000 E/16 V - VW 16v head, bored stroked to 2.0
    2000 E/16 V Cat - VW 16v head, bored stroked to 2.0, with Cat

Anyone know different?

erreesse likes this.
  5. OSV

OSV Forum Member

These predate the VW 16v. Once VW intoduved their own 16v engine Oettinger simply focused on improving the performanve of the new set up

6. woodpm

woodpm New Member

Chris, I could try and email you a copy of this brochure i have,it`s roughly 700mm x 400mm double sided,so would take a lot of little pictures to post on here, if you could pm your email address i`ll give it a go.
    Dan, i think that type of manifold is from a 2.0 16v,which i belive are bored and stroked and make around 170 bhp? Pete

7. woodpm

woodpm New Member

Thanks Gareth, that makes more sense, lots to do now the postmans just brought my zinc plating kit:)

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Cool, PM on its way :thumbup:

9. woodpm

woodpm New Member

I took the battery and airbox off today,just making sure there was no hidden nasties,
    [​IMG]
    bit grubby and a couple of very small areas with paint missing,and rust just starting,easy fix and a great relief.
    [​IMG]
    a bit of cleanimg later.
    [​IMG]
    found these marks under the airbox,looks like 9, 7 or maybe+,and L. has been cut into the metal,has anyone seen anything similar?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  10. woodpm

woodpm New Member

Put a few bits and bobs through the zinc plating kit i bought,well pleased with the results,wish i`d taken a before pic.
    [​IMG]
    Found this cover starting to rust (fits under the airbox). Shaped a new one from some spare stainless sheet,so that should never need doing again.
    [​IMG]

11. woodpm

woodpm New Member

MoT passed

About time for an update, took the car into Volksmaster (Oldham),Full service,Mot and cambelt and tensioner. Passed Mot,just a couple of adviseries,bump stops and light corrosion on a couple of brake flexis,not fussed over those as they are on the to do soon list anyway,great service from these guys and really enthusiastic about the car.:thumbup:
    I`ve fitted a new vag header tank and cap and replaced the coolant level sensor as the old one broke off,also bought a vw waterpump and thermostat just to be sure. [​IMG]
    Pleased to see a metal thermostat housing in there.Takes me ages to do these jobs as i cant bring myself to re-use the rusty old fixings,so its either new ones or clean and zinc plate the old stuff,and paint what i can in the area as well.
    Found a mk2 16v in a breakers and managed to get a few goodies from it,crankcase breather pipe, good as new being the best bit,old one like most had gone all soggy.
    Went down to All Types vw at Bodelwyddan Castle last weekend, great place but the weather wasn`t kind, some great cars there,made me realise how far away mine is from most of the others, although one guy wanted to buy it![:D][​IMG]
    Contacted vw customer services yesterday to see what they had on the car,not much help really,nothing thats not already in the service history,as its an import not much to go on. Got a date of manufacture though,22nd May 1989, so 22 years old tomorrow.:clap:

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  12. woodpm

woodpm New Member

Had a window motor pack up a couple of weeks back,well pleased when doing it to find the inner door rust free,gave it a clean and waxoyl the bottom few inches. [​IMG]
    Must check the rear panels and drivers door soon,hope they're as good
    All the old speakers were the originals,and buzzed and crackled really bad,so swapped them today for some that fit in the same places,6"x4" rears and 3.5" fronts,i've cut the sockets off the originals,[​IMG]
    and solderd it onto the new ones,so i didn't have to cut the plugs off the loom, [​IMG]
    Not sure if i should stick with the radio cassette or fit something more modern[:D]

13. veedubsta New Member

any updates mate?

14. ValverRob New Member

[​IMG] Evening all, Ive now got this Golf and will keep you posted on what I plan to do with it.

15. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Cool good to see its still around :thumbup:

16. thelostboy New Member

Hi all! Was researching my dad's car (as he bought it from Rob) and I found this thread. If anyone is interested, it's covered less than 60 miles in 8 years having been in Rob's storage unit in a dehumidified bubble. Rob is a well known detailer and had the Golf fully resprayed. It also rolling roaded at an impressive 157bhp!
    P1189042-2.jpg P1189047.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2024
  17. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

you need 10 posts minimum to post pics.

18. thelostboy New Member

I best get busy then!

19. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member