naughty little 1.6 build

Discussion in '8-valve' started by pre67, Dec 12, 2009.

1. pre67 Forum Member

iv got my hands on a 1.6 with 50k on it it from a caddy was used for towing race cars and has never been used on the road [:D]

[​IMG]

HEAD.
    the plan is drop a 1.8 carb head on it going to get the head skimmed to get the compression up a bit ;)

FLYWHEEL.
    i was going to use the biger one off the 1.8 engine iv got with a new clutch i have but i was going to get it lightend but do need to get it balanced on the engine ?

CARBS.
    i have got some twin 40s i have been told they are jetted for a 1.6 8v vw so they should get it runing ok still i get it rrd

FUELING.
    i have got a redtop and filter reg for fuel

hears some pics iv what i have got so far

fuel pump and reg
    [​IMG]
    70A alt of a audi 80
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thats what i have so far but i need some manifolds ???????????????

what inlet manifold should i get as i have hear that it makes quit a bit of diffrence in what ones you go for ??

and i am going to need to get a exhause manifold as well what one should i get ???

and where do you guys get good quality gaskets from i can get most from the local car shop but i was thinking i dont want a cheep ass head gasket i want a good one as compression is going to be a bit higher then the norm

cheers and other tricks i should do well i am at it

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  2. pre67 Forum Member

forgot to say what cam should i get as well

piper or kent ???? any other good makes to look out for

cheers

loz

3. thegave Forum Member

Read.

Does GTi head have bigger inlets than 1.8 carb? Is not a big deal to seal up injector holes and incidentally I have a ported and polished PB head that has already had the injectors sealed for sale...

I would go for Kent G2SH (268') cam most reports have been that it gives good gains with little or unnoticeable effect on idle. I don't think on the grand scheme of things it matters too much but you probably don't want to go too much higher than 272' if it's going to be a daily.

4. pre67 Forum Member

yer thats the sort of cam i was thinking of going for i will measure the valves in the 1.8 carb head might put it on my caddy and take the brand new gti head off my caddy engine for this build

dose any one no the size of the gti valves ??

5. pre67 Forum Member

6. thegave Forum Member

gti 41mm in 35 ex iirc....

7. pre67 Forum Member

cheers will have to see what the ones in the head iv got are

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

No - 40/33 - the Haynes manual will tell you the standard valve sizes.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

GTi head is what you want, better porting than the carby. however needs injector holes plugging up, either leave injectors in or window the seats and drop pennys down 't holes

10. pre67 Forum Member

yer i no i did it b4 with a head i put a right up on the caddy forum about it in the how to's

but i dident think it was runing quit right so i had these made and i think its about 5 or 6hp in it made it run so much nicer and stoped it boging down when u put you foot down and reved up nicer ;)

[​IMG]

poped them in then just sanded them flat so the flow was better

i might be geting a xflow head or a pb head with a piper cam in it [:D] might get both

11. pre67 Forum Member

im going to start porting my head soon but haw fare should i go. ie whats safe i dont want to hit any water/oil ways.

whats a safe amout of porting 3mm all over safe or can i go more ?

haw think are the walls?

and has any one got the link for the pics of a 8V head choped up ??
    i cant find them

cheers

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  12. pre67 Forum Member

i got my sellf a gti head think its a bp one this is it nice and cleen [:D] with a gti cam in it atm but that wont be in the for long ;) and i also got a twin 40 inlet manifold as well that was used on a vw motorsport car so its had a fair bit of porting but im going to open it up a bit more needs some litel cracks wellding up but not a hard job

[​IMG]

santa got me a nice new die grinder and some burs [:D] so iv just had a litel play doing some porting with a old 1.6 head i had laying about and quit happy with it

the plate thats on it i had some made for some bike carb manifold im makeing up so i though i would use it as a guide so i dident get to happy with the grinder

so hear are my first attempt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. pre67 Forum Member

i have started porting my gti head iv allmost finshed it i will get some pics soon also painted the block and some other bits and i have started makeing the new sump up

do you guys thinks its worth geting my fly wheel lighted ? well im at it all some one sed its not the best idear??

14. thegave Forum Member

The only concerns with lightened flywheel are "loss of torque", which is apparently negligble and less inertia so your car won't coast as well or for as long.

but the increase in responsiveness and pick-up speed seems to be more than worth it. Check the Hotgolf lightened flywheel thread in CGTI Entrepreneurs section for lots of positive feedback.

15. pre67 Forum Member

mmm well im trying to do this on the cheep as im out of work atm so i might just go with out. i have got a 210 fly wheel that im going to use as the old one was only 180 i might get it lighted a little bit will see iv just got a price to have my valve guides removed for porting it its 30[8(] and 30 for a re fit so im going to try port as much as i can around them 2moro and see haw i get on

im going to get my head skimed ones i have finshed porting some people have sed get 1.5mm skimed off but that seems a bit much i was thinking about 1mm is there any risk of valves hiting the pistones ?

16. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

if th engine is a 1.6, the CR is 9:1 which is low, you would want at least 10:1 or 11:1 for a bit more go, im not sure how much you can skim off the head but im sure its not that much, you would be better off starting with a GTI lump IMO.

As for the loss of torque from a lightened flywheel… some one has been playing GT2, it wont be noticeable. altho it will need more revs to pull away from a junction.

If I was choosing a cam, it depends on the CR of the engine, if you can get it up over 10:1 then I would look at something around the 270 to 280 mark.

17. Mike_H Forum Addict

It has to be asked - why are you mucking about with a wheezy, low compression 1.6 engine?

What are you planning to do with it? Road or track. Twin 40s are a recipe for a burnt out car on a counterflow 8v in traffic.

thegave spent a lot of time and money on a 1.6 on twin 40s. He ended up with driveability issues, horrific fuel consumption, and less grunt than he would have got with a standard 1.8 gti lump on a properly jetted single 32/34 DMTL

Lightened flywheels do not lose you torque. Computer games are not the real world.

Sell the carb bits then buy a proper engine with the money, and a cam.

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

BTW, if your caddy engine has really done 50k miles towing race cars round a paddock, that's a lot of pottering round a paddock, probably on the auto choke and not warmed up properly. Not really good for an engine.

19. pre67 Forum Member

im only building a 1.6 as there cheep to run im going to build up a 2l 8v next year or someing its just going to be a day to day car

i have got a brand new webber 32/34 jetted to a 1.6 im going to use im going to sell the webbers i think as i got them real cheep any way from reading all the info on the rr from the other 1.6 builds its not worth it

im going to get the head skimed this week and if i can aford it i will get the flywheel done as well

i can get the head machining done real cheep for about 25 at a local place but they cant figure out the cr there tho :-( theres another place that can do it but its going to be 50 but they will do what ever i want them to do

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

Not if they've got twin 40s on, they're not.

Generally, a 1.6 will be in a lower gear than a 2.0 most of the time, to go at the same speed, so in the same size of car, a bigger engine often returns better MPG.

You should really take the bottom end apart and get it decked about 1-2mm, but skimming the head is the easier route to take. You're more likely to have detonation problems that way though.