naughty little 1.6 build

Discussion in '8-valve' started by pre67, Dec 12, 2009.

1. pre67 Forum Member

yer well i have started the 1.6 so im not going to stop naw[xx(] i have striped all the block and rebuilt it and painted it all up i should have relly had 1or2mm off the block like you sed but 2late naw [:$] i have been on the phone all day calling diffrent places asking about what compression i should be runing. but geting it skimed then cc'd then skimed and cc'd to get it right is going to cost quit a bit. but i have been chating to a local place that dose machining and there **** hot and they sed that thay can skim any amount off my head for 20quid [:D] so i was thinking of just geting them to skim of 1mm of do you think i should go for more ?

also i can get my fly wheel lighted for 10quid[:D] but how important is it to get it balanced ?

im going to try get some pics 2night or 2moro to show haw it comeing on :thumbup:

2. sam-ski Forum Member

i was going to go down the route of a modded 1.6, but weighing it up i've now gone for a 1.8 with a ported and polished head, 272 cam and a webber 32/34. gonna get my fly wheel done aswel.

good luck with it though!

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

You should get your flywheel balanced really, but you might be able to stick it on a wheel balancer to get an idea how far out it is.

Static compression ratio depends on the cam you're running. If you're going for a 270-ish duration cam, then you want about 11:1, but any increase you can get over the standard driver lump is a step in the right direction. Taking 1mm off the head will get you about 10:1, but if you take more than that, you might start to have detonation problems, as you'll lose the shape of the combustion chamber.

Use a composite gasket rather than a steel one. They're a bit thinner (about 1.2mm compressed).

4. pre67 Forum Member

cheers for the help man:thumbup: what cam do think would be best then with a 1mm skim out of theses 2 piper cams

[​IMG]

i called up piper and asked them about how much i should skim ie 11.1 or 10.1 and they dident have a clue :o lol

5. pre67 Forum Member

let us know what its like one its done man good luck :thumbup:

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

The milder one is probably a better match for your engine, but it depends whether you're prepared to sacrifice some driveability for more peak power.

Or, if the budget is a bit tight, you could just go for the standard GTI cam.

7. pre67 Forum Member

mmmmmmm you have me thinking well i had a std gti head on my caddy with a gti cam and a 4branch with custom made exhaust and it did pull real well for a 1.6

well the cam will be the larst thing i do so i will see how i am for cash ones iv fited the engine if i can aford it i will probley get the ultmate road cam i dont mind it been lumpy

8. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Dont listen to these naysayers.. I had a mildly modded 1.6 driver and it was a lovely car to drive! If you've got all the parts cheap why not! Even with weber and GTI cam, I was still returning 375miles to a tank with my foot planted most of the time. No it wasnt a race car, but it certainly wasnt slow in such a light chassis! I miss it. With the mods you are proposing, it would be a pretty fast little drive

9. thegave Forum Member

Wouldn't bother with 276 cam will run into a shed load of problems getting emissions right and will never get CR high enough to make full use.

10. pre67 Forum Member

o right well from what i have been reading i was thinking of going for the 260

emissions dont matter the place i go for a motvnever do mine as i allways say its running relly rich can you just miss that bit out :lol:

11. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

just trying to advise on what would be easier in the long run. Im not saying dont use a 1.6, im saying the CR is lowish so you will have to do a lot of work just to get to standard GTI power.

the GTI lump was 112bhp the EZ was 75bhp, 37 horses as a start, ok maybe slightly less when you use a carb over injection, but the GTI lump has 50% more to start with

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  12. Mike_H Forum Addict

A GTI gearbox would make a big difference to it as well.

13. pre67 Forum Member

yer i have got my hands on a ACD gearbox there **** hot [:D] i have almost got all the stuff i need naw just got to cleen it all get it all painted up :)

14. pre67 Forum Member

yer i can see what you meen i just liked the idear of a nippy littel 1.6 as i had one in the caddy that went real well i might be doing another 1.6 build as a mate of my has got a 1.6 crossflow engine from a mmm what are they the polos but the estate ones.. one of them

its got about 70k on it looks real good engine gear box and all the ecu ect for 100quid i was thinking of geting and maybe doing someing like new big pistons big valves chrank go full out on it

15. pre67 Forum Member

hears some pics of how i am geting on re built the block and painted it up

[​IMG]

had my fly wheel lightened

[​IMG]

finshed the head well the porting i had some injector bungs made up they fit so well you can just about see it i dident have the valve guides out i just left them in and only did a little bit of porting but i happy with it should flow quit well just grinding in the valves atm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ported the manifold as well and welled the back of it so it will flow better and cut the teeth off the hedgehog and polished it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

should have it all bolted up this week and get my old engine out and start cleening the engien bay up :)

16. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

fair play to you, but thats soooooo much work to end up with less power than a standard gti

17. pre67 Forum Member

yer it is a bit of work but just a nice lttel engine but to swap it in a year or so for a 2L bottem end isnt to much work

i think with all the stuff i have done i should get about 110bhp maybe a littel bit more but it just to hard to say still you get it on the rollers

18. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Whatever you do, dont try to fit that damn carb manifold with the engine in the car - single, most horrible job Ive ever had the displeasure of doing on a car. If you do, make sure you have mirrors/ lights/ telescopic hands and patience! :)

Looking good so far though.. I always wanted to turbo a carbed driver engine, and to hell with what people say about it having less power to start with, lower compression etc etc - I always wanted to do it for the hell of it, to have something a bit unique! Glad you're sticking with the 1.6, be good to see it when its finished! :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  19. pre67 Forum Member

yer the manifolds are a ***** to get on and off i have got some real next long alyn keys that helps and the fact that i have done it so meny time lol its way easier when theres a 4 branch fitted more room

turbo would be cool i was thinging of doing someing like that just pop a 1.9td turbo on it with a reno 5 gt turbo carb and just rag the pants off it till it blows lol :)

20. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I gave up trying to remove it and just pulled the engine up bending the scuttle panel... total loss of patience!!! ha ha