Nige`s Golf MK2 2.0 16V Turbo track car with Aero. www.pinderwagen.com

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Nige, May 3, 2007.

1. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Another brilliant read Nige looks like an awesome event I'm very jealous

Nige likes this.
  2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Nobody who saw the bulge had seen anything like it either.

Seems to be a regular comment when I have an issue..
    "wastegate arm snapped" - I've never seen that before
    "wastegate has vanished" - I've never seen that before
    "tyre has bulged" - I've never seen that before
    "mk2 golf sat behind 3 high quality track spec M3's for a lap of the ring" - I've never seen that before lol

notenoughtime, sparrow and Sirguydo like this.
  3. Nige

Matt & Cat were at work and Lou is on Holiday at the moment.

The Golf was ready so I had a look at the websites, Circuit Days didn`t have anything but Javelin had Cadwell. "Lou, do you fancy a day at Cadwell tomorrow ?"

She said why not so we went across yesterday. Built up really steadily as Lou was a passenger and she doesn`t usually enjoy it. Pressed on more and more as she became comfortable. Apart from one session after lunch when Hayley jumped in, Lou was in the passenger seat all day, even for the marathon 45 minute session at the end of the day :clap:

I`m delighted that the only tool I had to touch was the tyre pressure gauge and put fuel in it. That is ALL I had to do.

FINALLY a 100% issue free day [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    sparrow likes this.
  4. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Boring for you then Nige as you loooooooove spannering lol

Whats the world coming to ? You're not pushing hard enough if something doesn't break lol

Well done Nige you've now got time to start fettling the BMW [:x]

Nige likes this.
  5. Nige

I enjoy spannering, at home when I`m not under pressure. Not when I`m on a trackday I paid good money to attend ! ;)

That`s why I did the 45 minute session, to push everything and see how it held up at a good pace [:D]

Sirguydo likes this.
  6. skywalker38 Forum Member

Nige I have to get something of my chest,my technical knowledge doesn't go as far as you guys,if you would give me a wrench I think I would ruin more then fixing,so all my respect to you
    I also don't reply that much on other people's projects for that reason,but I really appreciate the way you put your stories one paper it is a real joy to read all your adventures,really love it
    Keep up the good work:thumbup:

Nige and EZ_Pete like this.
  7. Nige

That is really appreciated. Thank you.

Look at the beginning of this thread, I didn't know much either. I've learned a huge amount over the last 12 years and I Still have a long way to go.

I do appreciate your post and all the others like it.

8. Nige

I'm pretty sure most people have seen the link to pinderwagen.com in my signature.

Around the time I changed from n/a to the Turbo, I started grouping all my posts and trip reports into single blog posts on a WordPress site. It made searching and sharing much easier. It's the first place I post any updates and uptime has been 100% since the initial issues I had when I massively underestimated the bandwidth I would need. :lol:

I still share updates here and I don't plan on changing that, but if the forum is down or you want to read a trip report or search for a particular topic, it may be useful to have a look there instead :thumbup:

This is not an attempt to take anything away from the forum or this thread so please don't think there is an ulterior motive. There isn't. ;)

[​IMG]

Sirguydo, EZ_Pete and beetie like this.
  9. Nige

We leave for Germany in a few days for 2 whole days on the nurburgring on a Destination trackday and then across to Bilster Berg for a trackday there [:D]

my plans are a bit behind shedule after finding this today.
    [​IMG]

It`s the crossmember I made back in 2014. :o
    [​IMG]

The crossmember is solidly mounted to the chassis legs but I had hoped the engine mount would isolate the vibration [:s]

We arrived back from holiday last night and I`m working nights all week now until Friday when we leave so I had to repair this one rather than make a new, thicker walled one. That will be done in the winter :thumb:

I'm lucky nothing else needed doing after Cadwell. I'm just giving it a check, adding some additional cabin ventilation and a few other nice to have jobs. :)

Removed the crossmember
    [​IMG]

Yup, that`s broken !
    [​IMG]

I had some 3mm wall tube handy
    [​IMG]

Cut it long enough to spread the load
    [​IMG]

Drilled several 12mm holes in the existing tube
    [​IMG]

The reinforcement tube slots inside the existing one
    [​IMG]

I cut away the metal either side of the crack to give me plenty to weld to
    [​IMG]

Welded the join and then plug welded all the holes though to the tube underneath
    [​IMG]

That should be good enough for DN...

notenoughtime, derx and Sirguydo like this.
  10. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I'd be astonished if that breaks. :thumbup:

Nige likes this.
  11. derx New Member

I've seen more stuff break on the Pinderwagen that I was astonished about that that even could break :)
    But this shows that trackdays really stress cars to their limit and waaay beyond.

Nige likes this.
  12. Nige

[8D]

[​IMG]

Sirguydo, derx and sparrow like this.
  13. Nige

Oh go on then. Whilst I`m still typing up the report, here`s a lap from Day 1. [:D]

This is what the last 10 years of development of my Golf have built up to. :) A lap of the Nurburgring where I`m following a 991 GT3 at a good pace and keeping up with him.

In a 1990 MK2 Golf lol

Of course the newer generation of cars are far more capable and would keep up with far less effort, but as those of us who modify our old cars know, that isn`t the point at all.

I was driving the pinderwagen and tagged onto the back of this 991 GT3 for what turned out to be a cracking lap. We had yellow flag and some traffic which helped me close up at one point then held me up later so it evened out over the lap.:thumbup:

I left it on low boost otherwise I'd have closed up on the straights, which when you actually take a moment to think about, is pretty ridiculous[:s]. By leaving it on actuator pressure at 0.8 bar peak it meant that I had to drive harder to close up to him which is much more satisfying for me :)

No ECU data I'm afraid :thumbd: the cabin was so hot the data logger overheated as did the front facing camera on day 2 :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ese0H2EOlrg
    [video=youtube;ese0H2EOlrg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ese0H2EOlrg[/video]

14. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Really enjoyed that lap Nige :thumbup:

Nige likes this.
  15. jamesa Forum Junkie

Nige likes this.
  16. Nige

He doesn't really go into huge detail, but that's exactly what I'm trying to achieve.

Far easier said than done lol

17. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

I can just remember which is my left and right feet [:s]
    I left foot brake all the time driving forklift trucks but it's the throttle blip that flummoxes me :o

Nige likes this.
  18. Natz Guehl New Member

I did some right foot braking just before Breitscheid to enjoy being overtaken by you two ;)

Nige likes this.
  19. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Awesome updates Nige :thumbup:

Nige likes this.
  20. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

One of the most entertaining and detailed threads on the forum today.

During forum admin, were I read and answer quite a few threads on this site, I always leave this one for a few weeks as I know there will be quite a lot to take in.

Thanks for sticking with this site and to continually updating this thread on here.

One picture though stands out where fast track driver, is driver by another fast track driver.

This lol

[​IMG]

Your facial expression Mr Pinder says more words than you have had laps around that place lol