no going back now-ive started my 20vt mk2

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by trialsy, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Id say no more than an inch really. You dont want the mount to sit much further out of its bracket on the subframe.

The only other option would be a totally custom engine bracket for the rear mount.

2. alackofspeed Forum Member

Would it not be easier to put a plate between the bracket and the top mount surface? If we put spacers between the mount and subframe, we'll have to ovalise the holes in the subframe, which seems a little bit dodgy.

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Could do, would need to find a longer engine mount bolt that would be suitable too. Dont know why youd need to ovalise the holes though. Also remember, that you would put more pressure on the engine mount the further that the bracket is located away from it.

4. FaTT mk1 Forum Member

You can use a corrado bits for the front mount,G60 crossmember and mount or why not mod ur front mount as you have all ready got it. Its what needs to be done with VR6 into mk2s and its what most tuning companys do. Dont use a spacer either you need to use a rear alloy bracket from a passat. Does the hole in ur front mount sit too far forward and off to the side, so it dont line up with the rubber mount on the crossmember.

Once you have done these mods,the servo problem will be sorted and the mk4 down pipe will fit. It is tight tho.
    Edited by: FaTT mk1

5. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Excellent, and theres your answer.

Didnt realise there was an issue with the front mounts too? With the VR6 convrsion, you can cut out wedges from the mount, bend and reweld it so you get the right angle. Saves swapping the cross member for a Corrado VR6 one.

6. alackofspeed Forum Member

Cheers for that - all suggestions are greatfully received!

Do you know what the difference is between the mk2 gti 16v offside bracket and the passat one? I can see it might raise the engine and help clear the servo, but i'm having problems visualising how it can move the engine and allow the mk4 downpipe to fit. To get the downpipe to fit the engine needs moving at least a couple of inches towards the nearside, but if that happened, the alloy gearbox bracket would missits mount, and the front would be similarly awkward.
    Edited by: alackofspeed

7. FaTT mk1 Forum Member

Same on the 20vt when you use a cable change box. Qpe dont say because they used a rod change box. Also when u use a cable change box u need to change the driver side rear alloy mount because the alloy mount on the box it totally different.

Everyone thinks the alloy mounts are the same but there is 3 different sizes and 2 different mounting points. Hence why most 20vt sit on the P155.

This is the bits that people dont tell about.

8. alackofspeed Forum Member

Hopefully a picture is worth a thousand words, though with my dodgy drawing I'm not so sure........

Anyhow, on the left is the standard set-up, on the right a spacered set-up. If you take the red lines as the original bolt line (mount not spaced out), and the blue lines as the bolt line of the mount (when spaced from the subframe), you can see the two don't coincide. Thus the holes would need ovalising. Dunno if that's clear or not! [:s]

Hopefully with a passat bracket the problem will be knocked on the head, which is handy! [:D]

[​IMG]

9. smithy Forum Member

Looking good :thumbup:

Go for the plate spacer on top of the rear mount idea, will be a lot less hastle than the other method.

10. FaTT mk1 Forum Member

It raises it and pushes it forward 5/10mm.whatother mounts have youusedon the frontand gearbox?

Ive done itinto afewmk2with a3 down pipe and alsoa 180 hp leon downpipe.

11. FaTT mk1 Forum Member

But it wont work,People think these engines just drop straight in and theres a lot of useless info on the net. The best site there was is now off line. WWW.GTIWORLD.FS.NET.
    Edited by: FaTT mk1

12. alackofspeed Forum Member

We need a bracket from the generation of Passat pictured below I guess? Also which engine option has the required rear bracket?Cheers for your help!:) http://www.brockcarfashion.dk/Foto/VW Passat 1990 - Brock%20B1%207,5x16-9x16%20-%20for.jpg
    Edited by: MK3_GPP

13. FaTT mk1 Forum Member

Yep thats the one. ive got the part number somewhereill find it out and pm it to you later on.

14. alackofspeed Forum Member

The gearbox is a CDA 02A box, and came with an alloy bracket (projecting from the diff towards the nearside), which we're using - we've still got to get the steel bracket that goes to the N/S end of the gearbox. The trial mounting has been done with the original 02O front bracket, which isn't the proposed long term solution.
    We were hoping to use a standard G60 front bracket, have we cocked up here and bought the wrong item?

Do you have a part number for the correct (passat) rear bracket? Just to be certain, we are talking bracket, as in the bit bolted to the engine, and not the mount, as in the flexible bit between the engine bracket and subframe? It's quite easy to get wires crossed on these things, and I might have totally misunderstood which item you're referring to!

edit- I wrote this before seeing your post with the PM mentioned!

Cheers.

15. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

The mount bolts on my mk2 subframe were vertical??

16. alackofspeed Forum Member

Well the mk2 16v in the pictures is definitely like the picture I bodged.

Perhaps VW changed somethingaround '88? I seem to recall there are two mount options from GSF.

I'm not too hot on VW'sso I don't know why there's the difference - I drive a dagenham dustbin!

[​IMG]

17. FaTT mk1 Forum Member

alackofspeed >

Yes deffo on about the alloy bracket. The metal bracket u mention u dont really need it. The front mount from a mk3 16v or simular to the one in them pics i posted.

18. trialsy Forum Member

the mount definitely goes at a 45 degree engle from either side, you get to the bolt on the wheel side through a hole in the suspension arm with a ratchet..

what mounts/brackets are other mk2 1.8t owners using? (if there are many watching)

19. alackofspeed Forum Member

eh up, did you mean to post some pictures previously? I thought I'd perhaps missed them, but after scrolling back through the thread I can't see any. [:s]

20. span what? er New Member

i think itwould be best if we just gotget a genuine VW master cylinder.

If the VW cylinder is the same as the one we have got then i recon we just get busy with the angle grind...er then find a local industrial estatescally that is bored on afriday afternoon to fill in the remaining plugged holein with a bit of weld.

:thumbup: