Pad wear- track use 256 & 280mm

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by iguana, Mar 10, 2005.

1. iguana Forum Member

Interested to know chaps what sort of life you are getting out of your various pad set ups.

On the Golfy im currently doing a set of Pagid FRs a day (tho if my late braking mate is not with me I can just about eek out 2 days out of a set) the pads are not excessively worn but heavily pitted & cracks appearing in the pad material.

I know the Ferodos DS2500s/DS3000 are better in terms of abiliy to cope with the heat, but at over twice the Pagid price they should be, but given the price- are they good for double the at least 2 very hard late braking days or say 3-4 of reasonably hard days?

2. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

The pagids FR are really not upto the job of trackdays, they just aren't designed to cope with the temps.

I've been using EBC yellow stuffs recently (full race compound) They take a tiny bit of warming up, but have great bite once hot and don't seem to fade at all. I get 1.5-2 full days out of a set of fronts, they don't crack or pit but do wear down pretty quickly, the bloke at EBC said to change them once they are about 2/3 to 3/4 worn, cos after that they'll start to fade due to the lack of material left to dissipate the heat. The upside of their softest is after 4 sets i've still got negligable disc wear.

I've not tried the ferodos as i'm too tight to spend that much money so can't comment. But if you fancy trying the EBC's then PM me and i'll give you a contact where you can get them cheap.

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

After 2 Donny days and numerous road miles my DS2500 have still got 50% material left, they look like Pagid FRs do after getting hot though and have lost some bite.

I've got some DS3000 for track work now and will refit the 2500 for the road. Not cheap though, 60 + vat! + delivery + DTAT :lol: FCP774R mk216v fitment.

One thing I'm going to do is get rid of the front fogs and stick some ducts in place with some 3" hose directing air to the fronts.

[​IMG]
    Edited by: GVK

4. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Pagids struggled to last the day out on 280mm discs until I went up to 312mm discs with MK4 callipers. The genuine pads lasted well but once they were worn out I changed them for Mintex (think they were 1144s) pads which were spot on. The Mintex 1144s were better on the 280s than the Pagid FRs, I wouldnt use the Pagids again for track days unless they came free. I think Micks S2 did 3 sessions at Donny on Pagid FRs before he had to park it because there was no brakes left, think he had to drive home on the hand brake :lol:

5. Seraph Banned

remind me not to drive in front of him then! :lol:

6. Joe_G Forum Member

I've done 3 trackdays and a years worth of road driving on my Pagid FR's on 256mm discs.

There's only about 3-4mm of pad left so they need replacing really but have been spot on on the 3 trackdays - no fade, good bite.

If there was one thing I wish they could do better is generate a bit more friction so I don't have to stomp on the pedal quite so hard.

Joe

7. vrbanana Forum Junkie

[bites lip again] three track days and a years worth of driving ?????? :o :o [/bites lip off] :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

You have all that extra weight to stop though daz!! [:D]

9. barny Forum Member

18 months, 15k miles and 8 trackdays in one year on one set of ebc greens .....

am i not trying hard enough [:$]

10. Dub20vt Forum Member

barny maybe it's cos you don't slow down for corners ;) :lol:

11. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

I V - mk1 16v what size brakes do u have on the front of the mk1?

280mm???

12. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

256's, i'd like to go upto 280's but i think the only easy way to do it is to go back to using mk1 calipers with spacers and i didn't like the mk1 calipers.

13. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Did no one tell you the brake is the one in the middle????? :lol:If anything lasts 15k then youre defiantly not trying hard enough or your too tight to use it :o ;)

14. vrbanana Forum Junkie

be care full in you explanation of that remark as Im not squeamish about running people over in the pit lane [}:)] [}:)] ;)

apart from that Ive almost lost a stone in weight on my new cream egg diet, down to 27st now:lol:

15. iguana Forum Member

[:o)]

I know its red nose day, but come on B no way, surely.....

16. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

My 10 Apec pads lasted about 30 minutes at Donington + 250 miles on road bedding them in.

They set on fire and then wore down to metal for the drive home :lol:

The Pagid FR's used to do 1 track day and a month on road before falling apart (never wore them out, just overheated them)

Only done 3 days in Germany and around the 'Ring on my Ferrodo DS3000's - not any real sign of wear on them.

17. ianb Forum Member

I normally get 1-2 trackdays out of Pagid's FR on 280 brakes

They crumble and are useless on summer trackdays and last only the day after which the pedal goes soft until I change them.Plenty of meat left on them though.

They are reasonably cheap and kind to the discs although I may try the EBC or Mintex ones next for a change

Ian

18. barny Forum Member

yes really !

19. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I had a look at my DS2500s today as I've fitted my 3000s in to get used to them before Cadwell. Edges were a funny orange colour and the material was very glazed, the groove in the centre of the pad was caked solid, so dug that out and de-glazed the pads on a flat surace with some 80 grit paper.

Will refit them in a couple of days as I'm sure my discs won't take kindly to the DS3000s for constant road use :lol:[:$]

DS3000s have got some bite,feck!!! [><]

20. iguana Forum Member

B- I hate to call you a lying swine, ;) but man if you are indeed not on a wind up thats absolutely incredable, greens are generally regarded to be only on a par with standard manufacturers pads & I even used to sell em ;) & yeah the feedback was good for road use but not mega for track use.

GVk- are the 3000s really that harsh on discs then? (doesnt tubs run 'em on the road tho?) maybe get friendly with some fellas on a race team that cryo freeze their discs & bung a pair of new VW 280s in with their freeze (makes discs very very hard) - I've been offered that by a mate before but never really needed it to be honest.