PAS pump problems continuation of, What PAS fluid do you use?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Mark Callis, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Mark Callis Forum Member

Hi i own a 1990 mk2 golf gti 16v, and i have changed what i think was a suspect PAS pump for a newer/working one, and was wondering what i should replace the fluid with. GSF have told me that ATF will do. I can get trade prices on VAG stuff but should i get the genuine VW fluid or is it just a waste

Also the system needs a flush and was thinking of using some old ATF to flush it out? will this be ok. Thanks for advice

Mark.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  2. kerrly Forum Member

since you get trade price get the fluid from VW.
    Dubs DO NOT use ATF (pinky colour) fluid and this will ruin the seals inside the pump.Its strange GSF told you that as they should be aware there are different types of ATF fluid!

The proper stuff is a pale greeny colour.

not sure how to flush the system but when you refil it fill the bottle to the max and start the engine and wind the steering from full lock to full lock. switch engine off an top up to full again an do this til the level doesnt drop anymore.

best i can manage lol

3. Supercharged Forum Member

Yep, just drain and refill with the proper stuff, you only need 1 Ltr and it's less than 4 on trade.

Prime the pump by hand before putting belt on and starting up.

4. Mark Callis Forum Member

Thanks for the advice people!

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

MK2 golfs always have and always will use Dexron II ATF in the PAS system. It even says so on the filler cap ;)
    Its MK3s that use the other stuff.

edit: Apparently some G60 models and Diesels use the green stuff too, way to tell is the colour of the cap, red = ATF, green = VW green.

6. mk2 oakey

mk2 oakey Forum Member

p/s pump

hey guys changed my p/s pump 2 weeks ago which i bought from gsf!!! the guy behind the counter sold me the pink fluid....so's i fits the pump and belt and primes it all puts the cap back on the reservoir and hey presto when the wheels are turned the pink atf leaks out of what looks like some kind of ball bearing type pressure seal???? up untill reading through here that these pumps only take green fluid and going to the stealers yesterday i'd used 5 liters of atf in the reservoir!!!!!!!!!

i've not got round to flushing and changing from pink to green yet but do you guys reckon i should switch the pump,will the pink atf have caused any damage to the seals within 2 weeks/5 litres worth of fluid??????????[:x][:x][:x]
    cheers............

7. rubjonny

using the wrong fluid wont have caused it to bubble over, you probably just didnt bleed the rack properly! you top it up then turn it from lock to lock a couple of times then top up as necessary.

I've got a MK3 pump on my MK2 PAS system and its absolutly fine on ATF. The only difference is the green stuff is a bit thinner and so the MK2 seals dont like it, plus the MK2 pumps can sometimes be noisy on the green fluid.

edit: you turn it lock to lock with the fluid cap off

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  8. mk2 oakey

mk2 oakey Forum Member

done it properly!!!!

cheers for the reply matey but when i was filling the reservoir i filled it to the top with the cap off and turned the steering from lock to lock and then topped it up as neccesary
    and still it persists to leak from this ball bearing thing on the top of the pump near the feed pipe from the reservoir!!!!!!!! must be a faulty pump???

9. rubjonny

oh its leaking from the pump sorry, thought you meant the reservoir!
    one thing that caught me out is theres a fitting between the line and pump end which was loose, chucked fluid everywhere. I'll have a look at my spare MK3 pump and see if i can spot this ball valve thing you're on about.

10. Mark Callis Forum Member

Having change my suspect pump and filled with genuine VW PAS fluid even though i have a red cap on my reservoir, but thats a different story. I have the same problems i had before. Which were heavy steering, then the PAS would kick in, and when i turn the wheel i hit section where the steering gets heavy and then goes light again. Is it terminal for my rack, replace with Mk2 item or similar. Thanks for help again people

11. Roadrat New Member

"The power assisted steering is filled with our hydraulic oil G 002 000". Quote from '89 Golf GTI instruction manual. I need to change my p/steering pump soon ... who's right?!.

12. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I think one of the universal joints on the steering column has partially seized. Thats what i'd check first.

13. Mark Callis Forum Member

But when i had it jacked up with the wheels off when i was changing the pump and belt, i moved the steering from lock to lock and it moved fine (the car was not running, i just took the steering lock off). The car is high mileage 190,000 is it wise to start to source a rack?

14. rubjonny

look at the actual reservoir on your car ;)

15. Supercharged Forum Member

G 002 000 was superceded in 2005 by G 004 000 - still looks the same tho - a green mineral oil, 4 a ltr from VAG

Regarding ATF, there was a TSB issued in Feb 89 when VW changed to the Green stuff, apparently it will mix fine with the red ATF that used to be used but I would always advise changing it completly, a whole system holds less than a ltr and it's cheap plus green + red don't make a nice colour!

16. Roadrat New Member

OK, thanks for the clarification.

17. rubjonny

like i said earlier though, its thinner than ATF so on some a previously fine system will leak. A friend of mine used it on his and had to replace all the rack seals with new ones from VW. Plus it can make an old pump noisy!

18. Mark Callis Forum Member

So any help with my problems??

19. rubjonny

any idea what fluid it had in before the change?

20. Mark Callis Forum Member

I cant tell as it came out in a sludge, but it looked a browny red/orage colour.