PAS pump problems continuation of, What PAS fluid do you use?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Mark Callis, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Mark Callis Forum Member

So does anyone have any idea about my new problems?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

well if it was me id drain it and replace with the correct atf to be sure its not that, otherwise try a new pump then finaly a new rack!

3. Blown Forum Member

Check the tension on the PAS pump drive belt-if it slips you wont hear it and would give the conditions you describe.Also check the hard pressure pipes on the rack.These are similar to brake pipes but are ticker and are known to corrode over time and allow air to get into the system.

4. Mark Callis Forum Member

That sounds like a good thing to check! Although its a new belt but i will check it, thanks. But on the pipes if air gets in then fluid must come out? no? there are no drips or leaks i can see but will check them too. Thanks

5. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Just digging this thead up after doing a search...

I've just fitted a different PAS pump to my wife's 1993 Corrado 16V. This is because the steering seemed a little too heavy when parking. The replacement pump came off the engine out of her old written-off Corrado, which did have perfectly good PAS, so the pump should be okay.

Fitted the pump and it seems to make the occasional rattle, and it is noisy just like the original pump. Doesn't seem to have made a great deal of difference.

I used a container of green fluid from the VW dealer. In there, they told me that they simply don't do red fluid.

The Corrado's PAS filler cap is coloured red.

So could it be worth me going down to a garage to fetch some ATF and trying that, which I assume is the red stuff? Or will I f*ck it up?

6. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

7. rubjonny

certainly wont hurt anything, i have a mk3 pas pump which deffo been run from new with the green vag stuff, snce thats what all mk3s run. ive been running it on atf now 3 years, not a whisper outof it :)

8. tomstickland2 New Member

I need some fluid in a hurry, so Halfords is my only choice. They don't stock a direct replacement for the Green G 002 000 stuff (which the manual says I should use). What else will work for a short while? They mentiond slick 50.

9. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Bump for an old thread.

ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid?

10. rubjonny