(PLEASE HELP) 1996 Golf GTI VR6 AAA, crank, no start.

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by rudy_nyc1, Jan 20, 2018.

1. rudy_nyc1 New Member

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

was that with throttle wide open? the difference between cylinders 3 and 4 dry is just above the maximum figure listed in the bentley of 43.5psi but wet test is a fair bit better.

how is the oil condition if its full of fuel, possibly just suffered from bore wash thanks to all the cranking without start?

3. rudy_nyc1 New Member

Hey, almost

When I did the compression test I removed all the plugs, disabled the coil pack and removed the fuel relay, just a quick note.

So I bought the starting fluid, and removed the FPR, sprayed the fluid in the throttle or air intake and tried........I started right up for a short time. So it seems I have a fuel problem. The pump is new, I have fuel at the front rail and I used my Power Probe 4 in Injector mode and I have Injector signal. I am aware that I need 51-58 psi but I do not have a gauge to confirm.........going to order one in a few days. If the pressure is not met I will return the new pump for another one. If the psi is within spec then what next.......(Regulator)? So I will focus in on this area, It did start with no hesitation so we are getting somewhere now. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

PS: GOING TO GET NEW GAS, 1 FULL TANK AND REPLACE THE GAS FILTER.

4. rubjonny

ok I think you're on to it there, if it is that then you have been pretty unlucky with fuel pumps! There should be a pressure test point on the rail somewhere I think for the VR6 so you can check the regulator as well with the fuel pressure gauge

If fuel pressure is correct next I would pull the fuel rail out and put each injector into its own container. crank it over with coil disabled as above, then check injector spray pattern and volume delivered. A mate of mine did an R32 swap and found all 6 injectors were faulty after a lot of head scratching. granted his engine was unknown, but you did mention old fuel messed up the main pump so it might have done the same for the injectors. worth looking inside the rail as well, it could be all clogged up

5. rudy_nyc1 New Member

I did not get my fuel pressure gauge yet, I will update this tread as soon as I perform the fuel pressure test.

6. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Hi Rudy_nyc1 did you ever get to the bottom of your issue, I am currently in the same position as you with a OBD1 VR that has a good spark, fuel at the rail, new crank position sensor, Blue temp sensor (Genuine) and a new ECU relay but it just cranks and cranks with no start other than the 1 time the other night. Car was running perfectly until a few weeks ago when it developed an issue where it was difficult to start when up to temperature then just completely stopped starting altogether.

Rubjonny if you read this I know your the guru of VW wiring and part numbers, do you know the part number of the correct ECU relay for a '94 M reg VR as the one I removed was a 5 pin relay (new one is the same) but someone has said it may be the wrong relay as the number 109 relay only has 3 sometimes 4 pins.

Nick

7. rubjonny

Hey Nick, its the MK4 1J0906381A part number I posted up on facebook :p

nickh89GTi likes this.
  8. rubjonny

Heres a piccy of it, the MK4 revised part has an extra terminal but as you can see from the diagram on the side its not actually used, and on the bottom you can see it has no terminal number either :)
    rele-palivoveho-systemu-c-109-469-octavia-golf-passat-1j0906381a.jpg

9. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Wow RJ didn't realise that was you that had commented on my Facebook post. Be interesting to find out if Rudy_nyc1 sorted his issue.

10. Vw_darryl New Member

Hi all new here, sorry to spark of an old thread from a time when we could go places and meet people lol. This weekend i pulled a vr engine and loom from a 95 obd1 golf (running when pulled) and put it into my 97 vento obd2 then to realise the golf was obd1 so i don't have the yellow plug for the injector power but I've used the vr fuse box which has the 109 relay and ive jumped 30 to 30b on the back of the fuse block but it just cranks and cranks and no start, it is getting spark and will fire up on brake clean but the fuel pump isnt running and the injectors aren't pulsing, I've also put a jump in place of the fuel pump relay and the pump will run but still won't fire as the injectors still aren't opening, i can't imagine it's anything other than something wiring related at the fuse box as the engine was running perfect in the golf friday night before it was pulled so all sensor and ecu should be fine and all grounds in the engine bay were cleaned. I'm all out of ideas and I've searched everywhere and can only find info on people going from obd1 to obd2 and my brain is totally discombobulated at this stage so im hoping someone can shed some light on my issues.
    Thanks.

Edit: also the relays do click when the ignition is turned on but no noise from the pump

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  11. rubjonny

just to double check you took the ecu as well? you can bypass ecu relay with a looped wire like this to rule it out:
    ecurelaybypass.jpg

12. Vw_darryl New Member

Yea ecu was swapped too, i can here the relay operate when i turn the key so presumed it would be working ok but i will try the jump and report back.
    Thanks.

13. rubjonny

reason I ask is there are loads of versions of VR6 management so you need the right ecu to match the kit of parts you have for it. with ignition on check for power at the injectors, go between the red/blue and a handy earth should see 12v. crank sensor is worth a look, easy to mix up the crank and knock sensor plugs on that side

14. Vw_darryl New Member

Yea i done some research before the swap so had a fair idea of what i needed to swap but obviously not enough lol, yes i am getting voltage to the injectors and also the crank sensor is in the correct plug, Ok so i finally got another free evening to delve deeper into the wiring with a test light and multimeter and i probed all the wires at the ecu and here's what I've narrowed it down to, pin 23 and pin 9 are grounded which according to what ive seen and read should be positives correct? When i connected the test light from the positive of the battery to pin 23 (with the ignition on) the fuel pump started to run and stopped when i pulled it out so with that i had a look around at all of the plugs and grounds again to make sure everything was in the right place and everything checked out ok unless I've missed one somewhere, i was able to get the lend of a vag com and i was able to connect to all the modules except engine UNTIL i connected the test light back to pin 23 and hurray i was in! I got 3 faults 1 was for the 02 sensor as it wasn't connected when i first attempted to start it, the second was for imobiliser which i presume was because of when i switched everything over and I got the fault code 00513- engine speed sensor(G28) 03-00- no signal, the other 2 codes cleared and didnt return but the crank sensor fault returns when you attempt to start it, im not sure where to go from here the only thing that i haven't swapped over yet is the ignition barrel itself is there a possibility there is a difference in the internals between the 1.4 and vr6?

15. rubjonny

ok so pin 23 is power output from the 109 relay, pin 9 is the earth trigger from the ecu to switch on the 109 relay. with ecu unplugged pin 23 wont have power unless you first earth pin 9 if that makes sense

16. Vw_darryl New Member

So it could be an immobiliser fault? im goin to swap the ignition barrell tonight incase theres somethin different in it that might be causin issues

17. rubjonny

would need to be a very late early VR6 :lol: whats ecu part number?

if you want to test ecu 23 with the plug off you'll need to first put an earthed wire into pin 9. pin 9 turns on the 109 relay, which then powers pin 23. The VR6 ecu switches on its own power relay, confusing as that is. so when the ecu is unplugged the 109 relay never gets switched on, and pin 23 will never get power. hope that makes sense?

the way it works is when the ecu sees ignition live on pin 38 it then knows it has to turn on the main power relay. so check ecu pin 38 ha ignition live, and while there you should also see permanent live at ecu pin 54

18. Vw_darryl New Member

I had to read it a couple of times but ye it makes sense , the part number is 021 906 258 CH, so i did as you said and grounded pin 9 and i have power at pin 23 and i also have power at pin 38 and pin 54

19. Vw_darryl New Member

It's ALIVE!! so i connected the test light to pin 23 and i plug in vag com again and tried to see if i could make the injectors or any other valves, relays ect work using the functions test, which i couldn't so out of curiousity i checked in actual values and clicked on battery voltage and saw i was only getting 4.67v so i put a power to pin 23 in place of the test light and i heard the fuel pump relay prime and turn of after a few seconds which it wasn't doing before it would just run continuously and sounded somewhat week, so i turned the key not expecting much and she roared into life (literally there's no exhaust on it at the minute), happy days, now I'm just wondering can i just splice into pin 23 where it runs into the fuse box and run a jumper wire from one of the 30 or 30b spots and call it good or would that cause issues long term or damage any other wiring?

20. Vw_darryl New Member

Ok so ive found and solved the source of the problem, it turned out to be corrosion on g1/10 on the back of the fusebox so i cleaned the pin and swapped out the fuse box for the 1.4 just swapped over the extra relays and it's 100%, thank you very much rubjonny for sharing the knowledge I'm sure I'll be on here again in the near future for more issues :lol: