(PLEASE HELP) 1996 Golf GTI VR6 AAA, crank, no start.

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by rudy_nyc1, Jan 20, 2018.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

great stuff :)

2. 11gausdenm New Member

Jumping in on this post again. I'm also going from OBD2 to OBD1. I've got a mk2 vr6 which has been running an OBD2 setup for years now. I've come across a OBD1 95 mk3 VR with low miles on it so have poached the engine to go into the mk2. Both cars ran fine before, however I've just put the OBD1 motor into the mk2 and I'm not getting any fuel at all. The ECUs have been swapped but all other wiring kept the same and everything marries up fine. The ECU relay has also been changed. Am I missing anything for this conversion to work? Want to know before I start diving into fault finding

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  3. rubjonny

you cant just plug obd1 ecu to obd2 loom, it wont work. so either swap an obd1 loom over as well, or swap all the obd2 parts over from the old engine and put the obd2 ecu back on (preferred option)

4. 11gausdenm New Member

So if I go for the preferred option (swapping my old engine parts over) will this be the entire engine loom and sensors along with the obvious stuff like the inlet manifold? I assume that the fact the plugs are all the same the sensors themselves differ? Thanks for the response btw

5. rubjonny

so just to double check, you swapped the obd1 engine and ecu only, and left the obd2 engine loom is that right? if so swap the obd2 ecu back over, change the obd2 parts over from the old engine. so inlet manifold, fuel pressure regulator if you messed with the fuel rail. most of the other bits are the same.

the issue with using obd1 ecu is the wiring loom is subtly different, so it wont power up right

6. 11gausdenm New Member

Correct, engine bay loom and car is OBD2 engine harness is OBD1 as is the ECU. Today I'm going to transfer the engine loom, all engine sensors and the manifold across to the new engine from the old one and try and fire her up.