quick question about kr injectors

Discussion in '16-valve' started by arnau, Jul 5, 2009.

1. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

and vaseline works well to

2. arnau Forum Member

yes I have used vaseline :)

I would like to know if anyone has tried these injectors in a kr (I have found in google they are from golf mk2 112hp[8(] ) thanks!

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

these will work just fine, the top hat bit is part of the air shrouding. the type without the top hat are used on early MK1 GTI, which are the same as kr ones except for the lack of top hat.
    I had this type in my 2.0 ABF on k-jet, and no problems whatsoever.

remember the inlet is under vacuum, those injectors wont go anywhere ;)

4. arnau Forum Member

hi, your reply is much appreciated!!!

did you use the same (I mean, the same part numbered) injectors in an ABF??

I wouldn't like them to have less cc/min than KR ones and so I lost power :S:S

thanks :) if you reply fast, I may install them now and post my impressions at night :thumbup:

5. rubjonny

i used merc injectors in the abf, but id be happy to use mk1 items as well, the flow rates are all the same. the amount of fuel delivered is determined by the metering head/fuel pressure, not the injector :)

6. arnau Forum Member

so, what may be the difference between both of these injectors?

7. rubjonny

like i say, the only difference is the top hat. the later 8v and 2.0 16v injectors have a finer pitch thread on though!

8. arnau Forum Member

so should I remove these caps and put them in the 'new' injectors? I read in this forum something about caps separating from injectors and falling into cilynders :S

9. neil kaye Forum Junkie

if changing the injectors DOES determin the delivery what would be the fault

10. rubjonny

I wouldnt try that, as you say they could fall off! i didnt bother with the top hats and as i say, i had no problems :)

neil if changing the injectors has an effect on fuel delivery id say the injector was at fault, you can change the fuel delivery individually by messing with an allen screw near the fuel lines to the injectors on the metering head, though this shouldnt be messed about with unless you are 100% sure everything else is spot on.

if you look thru etka, the late MK2 8v k-jet injector with the fine thread on it and top hat, is the same part number as fitted to the 2.0 16v 9a and 6a, and the KR injector is the same as fitted on the early MK2 8v k-jet :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  11. neil kaye Forum Junkie

yea,i knew bout that from nigep's thread but i changed a few of mine mixing them up etc and got even flow eventualy to each one,just wondered if the metering head could be faulty too,would a delivery test without injectors on determin that or would that be dangerous to try

12. arnau Forum Member

well, let's suppose I do the delivery test this weekend :)

if I adjust anything on the metering head so that all injectors 'inject' the same amount of fuel...

questions:

1. how much fuel should be injected per injector in a (i.e.) minute ?
    2. sholuld CO be adjusted after this?

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. rubjonny

cant see doi9ng a delivery test without injectors on would be dangerous, just make sure you secure the lines well and have large containers, id guess it would spray out a lot more fuel since there would be no resistance. in fact i dont know what effect the lack of injectors would have on the metering head, strange things might occur :lol:

14. neil kaye Forum Junkie

mm might try it ,not sure yet see how brave i feel

arnau,not sure how much per minuit but if you fing nigep's build thread i think he did it,i was looking for even delivery rather than quantily,25% per cylinder and as nige informed me altering one of the screws in the metering head can make all the others change too so alter very little at a time,i didnt do any adjusting on mine i just swapped injectors around,ended up with two of my origional ones and 2 from a set i had kicking around

not sure if altering c/o will change the delivery tho,so id do it after

15. arnau Forum Member

HMH, good idea. i may be doing it next or next-next wknd thanks

16. arnau Forum Member

I may do the delivery, then disassemble the metering head, clean everything and replace seals, joints or whatever. then take it to a k-jetronic - maester to make sure everything is ok.

time will tell [:D]

17. Gaz_b Forum Member

I was checking over the kr engine in my recently bought golf gti 16v, and noticed that all the injectors feel loose. I haven't been able to get a spanner on to them yet to see if they will tighten, but you can 'wiggle' them about. Is this normal?

When replacing the kr injectors do people just get direct replacements or s there a good uprated set thats worth getting?

18. arnau Forum Member

you can get mercedes injectors. have a search on this forum about "+merc +injectors" and you will get lots of topics about it :)

19. rubjonny

i wouldnt ever open the metering head unless you are 100% sure it is broken, even then you may not be able to fix it.

gaz 16v injectors are just a push fit, if they wiggle about you probably need new seals :)

20. arnau Forum Member

they wiggle about because (in my case) they don't have the bottom-caps attached, so there is no bottom (small) seal :(

I found a post in here about cleaning a small component of the metering head, with some kind of spring attached to it. would it be worth cleaning?