R32 Golf buying guide advice

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by 91davidw, Jul 18, 2005.

1. 91davidw Forum Member

Following on from my Audi S3 or Seat Leon Cupra R thread & deciding that instead of looking for the right car I'll wait to one finds me so to speak !! :)

Now I have seen a R32 for sale at 16,600 no offers, 2003 with 40,000 miles and full vw service history, 3dr in reflex silver, got a few extras xenon headlights, Konig half leather heated seats, climate control, fitted with Milltek exhaust and remapped to 270bhp [:D]

I cant understand why I think this car is priced so low ???
    Have run the reg through the HPI check in work and it comes out fine with 2 owners and 1 plate tranfer for a cherished plate which the guy has told me when he bought the car at the start of the year the previous owner kept his private plate, car looks ok but ???
    He's been trying to sell the car for 3weeks !!!

The local vw dealer has just sold a late 2003 R32 3dr in red with 17,000 miles for 19200

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
    David

2. Rahul Forum Junkie

lots of miles

3. Seraph Banned

3 weeks.......everyones prob so suspicious.
    Lot of miles for a 2yr old car tho?

4. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

I have done nearly 20k within a year in my new car.
    Wouldn`t put me off selling it on.
    Or buying for that matter.
    And what`s more my 1990 Mk2 had 215k on it which only made me want to buy it more as I had an engine to throw in it, but one that was in it was OK.
    The R32 is worth a look anyway which won`t cost you a penny.

5. Claypole Forum Junkie

It's been remapped so people automatically don't think hmmm nice careful steady driver rightly or wrongly.
    If your honest if you get a car remapped it's to drive the balls off it. :lol:

It's done twice the milage the other one you mention has which to most people is the end of any car buying choice.;)

6. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

most important thing to establish is whether its straight or not as its easy enough to have a prang and keep it off the records.

Mileage isn't really a problem imo, at the end of the day its still only 40k and with such high mileage within such a short space of time i'd suspect most of it to be motorway miles. I'd suggest that if you tend to do a small annual mileage then it could be a good buy as after a few year the mileage levels out.

If it looks like its been looked after then it could be a good buy-worth a test drive i'd have said

7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Claire's is an '03 and now done 32k, only thing wrong with her's is the fact she lets *me* drive it :lol:

If it's been remapped the flat spots/hesitancy the standard cars can have will be ironed out.

Only downside to them is the fuel economy really, but hey, it's a car that's capable of 150mph + at the end of the day.

David, we might be taking Claire's to the 'ring next weekend,that should make your mind up. :lol:

8. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

go for it....check it out and make your decision from there!

9. GTiwale Forum Member

get it!!!

10. 91davidw Forum Member

Yeah i do very little mileage about 4500 a year in the car so it would even out over a few years !!!

Gary that would be good [:D], may have it bought before the trip !!!
    every1 has said the downside to them is the fuel economy but with me doing so little mileage and the type of car it cant be really that bad can it [:s]

maybe make him an offer

Cheers
    David

11. GVK

Go for it :p

12. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

those are all standard on an R32

13. Rahul Forum Junkie

14. 91davidw Forum Member

Thanks for that Andy, he has these down as extras, so its not spec'd up then at all !!!

Looking at adverts every other R32 in the country is going for more money, there must be something he's not telling me [8(]

Cheers
    David

15. sportline Forum Junkie

as said above its because its mapped up, it devalues the car. ive been looking at S3's andthe cheap ones that have been on the trader for weeks are all chipped.

bit of advice, if you chip your car up, dont mention it. they'l come and test drive it and think, wow that seems to drive better than others, then you say, "yes its been looked after"
    car sells, happy days. [:D]

16. GVK

Mate was telling me who works a local VAG dealers,Local bloke bought a silver one, had it a couple of months and turned out it was stolen. [:^(]

He'd HPI'd it etc[xx(]

Don't know what the outcome was. [:s]

17. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

As a guide, I px'd my 53 reg 23k miler three months ago for 17500 with full leather.
    40k is quite high mileage but a good one will last forever.

If I got another, I'd try for 1/2 leather (full leather sags) and a sunroof.

18. jamesa Forum Junkie

Hi,

Our`s is a Dec 03 (53) with 11,000 miles and to be honest it needs more use ! Since we had the VW software upgrade it`s a little smoother on the uptake but I still feel it`s not as it should / could be. The remap could help here ?

We have the half leather / Alcantara trim which I agree is better than the full option.

If you`re seriously considering it then get it on a rolling road and fully checked out BEFORE you buy.

On the other hand our`s may be up for sale in the near future. It`ll be more money but perhaps a better base to work on ?

Indigo blue (Dark blue) metallic with Grey leather / Alcantara and cruise control.

Cheers
    Andrew

19. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Nice colour combination there Andrew!
    Can't be many like it on the road.

The V6364 TOTALLY sorted mine (Nov '03). It was damn neasr dangerous before I had it done and I once got caught with it hesitating and got outdragged by....

.....a London double decker bus!!! :lol:
    (only briefly)

20. sportline Forum Junkie

surely nobody's gonna let you take a car on a rolling road before you buy it though [:s]