R32 now mine!

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by sutherlandm, Mar 4, 2004.

1. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Did about 700 miles this weekend on all sorts of roads.
    WOW!!
    Best fun is fast but fairly twisty A roads - It really does shift with almost no flat spots in power delivery (anything over 2k revs). The sound is just superb - I reckon it competes as being one of the best noises a car makes.
    Seats are excellent - Two says of 5 hours driving and no backache.
    Also quite a few gizmos that i didn't know about - Cruise control, heated mirrors, auto tilt lights, auto sensing wipers - Very well fitted out.
    Obviously biasedbut for me the belnd of performance, handling and practicality (sort of) make it my perfect car.
    Only gripe is fuel -It's bloody thirsty!
    Put super unleaded in just to see the difference - A bit of extra oomph but only very small gain. Not really worth the 10% extra cost but will treat the car every now and again - Fuel filler says 95 or 98 so now I know.
    Chuffed. [:D]
    Last question - Any type of oil recommended?

2. Rob.gti Forum Member

Matt, you have to bear in mind the ECU takes time to adjust to new fuel grades. Stick with Higher octane rating for a tank or two and you will notice the difference.

I wont be going back to normal unleaded after using BP Ultimate. The car is much more responsive and much smoother.

Regarding oil... I havent got a clue. Vw sort that out for me ;)

3. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Will try BP Ultimate - Bit cheaper than normal Super and heard it's good.
    A full tank of Super was 50!

4. unintelligent

unintelligent Forum Member

Cannae believe youse are moaning about the diff between 95 and 98 RON when you run an R32 .... [xx(]

5. Mikedav Forum Member

Glad you are happy, its a great car.

However hate to tell you this but the full leather is currently the subject of a massive complaint and hopefully a future watchdog feature - its leatherette and vinyl, only about 3 pieces are leather. So most owners are demanding a refund...didn't realise you had gone for that option.

See the MKIV frorum for the thread (Robs posted, why didnt you tell him mate!)

6. Rob.gti Forum Member

I havent posted on it. I just got Cloth trim.

Besides, I dont think the complaining will make any difference. Whether its FULL leather or PART Leather, it still takes a lot of labour to make the seats. Material costs are negligable.

And as you have stated before, I have bought an OVERPRICED car so whats a few hundred pounds gonna matter:p

Plus Matt didnt go for that option, the car is an ex-demo, therefore has these things already fitted ;) :lol:

7. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Whatever they are made of, the seats feel and look great. What's the address of that mk4 site BTW?
    Unintelligent - Still got to be sensible, even with 3.2 litres!

8. Rob.gti Forum Member

9. Mikedav Forum Member

Sorry mate I thought you had posted on it, confused it with the carpet matts thread (did you sort that in the end?).

OOOO, HANDBAGS!:lol: :p

'Full leather trim' on the options list was 1,900 to those who paid so, you have got to have sympathy for those who were ripped off. Glad you didn't sutherlandm, sounds like a decent deal!

10. Rob.gti Forum Member

Its states "Leather Upholstery" or "Leather/Alcantara Upholstery". Nowhere does it say "Full". They word these brochures well dont they.

BTW, yes I did get my mats sorted thanks. VW UK Customer Care are sending me some direct.

11. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Rob - Did you go for any options BTW? Would have liked a sunroof but Climate works pretty well.
    The standard spec is pretty damn impressive though.
    MikeDav - Was in Devon this weekend - Had great fun around South Molton.
    Sister moving to Exeter in a month (currently in Chittlehampton) so could be handy for a meet up at last!

12. Mikedav Forum Member

Ahh I see...here is the MKIV R32 Leather Thread. Whatever the wording, people were mislead - here someone has found the following in VWs guidlines on advertising:

Advertising

Advertisements used by Volkswagen retailers should not contain terms that are ambiguous or likely to be misunderstood'

No advertisement issued by Volkswagen or it's authorised retailers should contain misleading claims or descriptions........'

13. Rob.gti Forum Member

Mine was a cancelled order Matt, so I didnt get a choice of options. The car is completely standard. The only option I would have had is cruise control, but that fairly easy to fit later.

14. Mikedav Forum Member

Rob - have you seen the MKIV group buy on cruise control? 40 for the kit. Im ordering one myself

15. Rob.gti Forum Member

Just read it, but doesnt confirm the R32 is compatible. [:s]

16. Mikedav Forum Member

No, mine neither! But apparently that ready reckoner is way out of date and it fits all DBW cars fine? Tabs has ordered one, and if it can't be done it can go on ebay for a profit (Joey is making a fortune selling parts like sunglasses holders and R32 triggers for double what he paid there!)

17. Rob.gti Forum Member

what about warrantee issues. I dont want to void my warrantee just a month into the contract ;)

18. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Rob- I had no idea what the controls on the left stalk were, so I checked the manual when I got home and it seems to be cruise - Bonus!

19. Mikedav Forum Member

ok Rob, just thought Id let you know thats all.

Sutherlandm, LOL at the timing - parents are moving to Bournemouth next month so Exeter will no longer be home!
    Edited by: Mikedav

20. unintelligent

unintelligent Forum Member

I'm not condoning financial suicide :) - but IMHO 98 ron is better value for money in terms of performance and economy and I wouldn't buy anything less.

*** probably why I drive a beat up Mk1 ****[:s]
    Edited by: unintelligent