R32 vs EVO vs STI

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by sutherlandm, Apr 15, 2004.

1. drew Forum Member

Do tell.

Cheers,

Drew.

2. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

because he's bored with it, and the older cars are more fun.

3. Rob.gti Forum Member

I think its due to personal reasons (read: costly divorce)[8(]

4. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

...but the mk1/2 brigade will of course all assume it's because he doesn't like it and gather into their little group muttering how Mick got rid of his car because it was too slow, too comfy, too grippy, too refined, etc, etc.
    Cost will be conveniently forgotten.

5. drew Forum Member

My wife said that if we ever get divorced she wants to get the mk1 so she can push it off a cliff - just to see the look on my face...

Love eh?

Cheers,

Drew.

6. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

For the good of VW fans the World over, please stay happily married... :lol:

7. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

there's that elitist "money mn" attitude creeping in again....

8. birchie90 Forum Member

Mick where are you when things get interesting? - Sutherlandm, 23 grand thats good 911 territory - do you really think that the R32 is going to out handle and be faster than that? I know which one I'd rather have on my drive!!!!

9. Rob.gti Forum Member

Its old 911 territory. And I love 911's but would still need a new car as running costs on Old 911's are astronomical!

10. Jeffers Forum Member

Some interesting comments, and a good article by the Vortex. As matt says, an interesting read to see that the R32 does so well against cars that are viewed are 'better' than it.

I don't know where I quite fit in? I previously had a MK1 and now have an R32. So does that mean I'm in the "MK1/2 moaners" group or the "the R32 is the best in the world" group??

To be honest I don't care. For me the R32 is a far better car than my MK1, the Mitsubishu Lancer Evolution VIII and the Subaru Impreza STI. Why? Because I want a car than can be fun, fast and reasonably involved, but I also want a car that has a little luxury and driving refinement, of which I feel the STI and EVO do not have.

Why bring into this that Mick Clements is selling his? It's his choice based on his personal circumstances. Who know's, if he was in a different situation he may be keeping it and getting an 'older' car aswell! Come to think of it, maybe he's getting an older car to use as a daily hack?

As for not being able to
    we all know it's not as good a car as some others, but it is a damn sight better than a lot!

People can say what they like, I couldn't care less. I've made my decision on what car I like more, if I change my mind or my circumstances changes, then so be it.

For those of you that keep putting the R32 down, may I suggest you have a drive of one? You may be pleasantly surprised!

Jeffers

11. Rob.gti Forum Member

:clap: :clap: :clap:

12. drew Forum Member

I think that's the nub of the matter.

Peace already!

Cheers,

Drew.

13. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

23k is VERY old 911 territory plus they have no room in the back for surfboards!
    Old 911s are great fun but very tricky in the wet. Have you tried one? Lethal around roundabouts.
    Aiming for a new (or newish) Carrera 4S eventually but that's a while away yet.
    Some of us don't WANT an old car - Do you not realise that?! LOADS of old cars for 23k that are a hell of a lot quicker but so what?! Not a lot of (if any) new ones though.
    Jeffers - Well put!

14. birchie90 Forum Member

You can get a 95 Carrera for that money check out the trader

15. andymark1 Forum Member

Is anyone taking there R32 to castle combe for the VW day?
    if so can i have a test drive or be a passenger?? :)

16. MK1Campaign Forum Member

Handbags at dawn chaps :p
    This forum just gets worse and worse.

17. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Well said!!

And i might add, what a load of Toss this thread turned into. It was a good review, i didnt even read it as being biassed, nothing was instigated yet all the jealous idiots came out the woodwork once again.

I have never owned anything newer than a 1991 Golf 16v. Yes i love them, yes they are great fun...but grow up guys!!

18. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

who mentioned mk1's anyway [:s]
    and as for this mk1/mk2 moaners group,what a load of bollox!!!!!!!
    im sure were all pretty damn individual in what we choose to like/dislike.

where the feck would i fit in....
    love mk1's,not mk2,not mk3,not mk4 unless an r32 although i only like it for its looks and not the "what i consider" disapointing performance.

19. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

the bottom line is.... the r32 is pooe and only muppets buy them!

20. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

i'm only kidding :p , i think the r32 is a great car, probably the best vw has come up with in the last few years lately which does as it's meant to be.
    it isn't trying to be the quickest car in a straight line,be the best handling, have the most gadgets etc.
    it's a family sized hatch which is very good in all aspects which is reflected in it's price- it isn't even that expensive compared......

the bottom line is personal preference, i know i wouldn't own one right now, i'm only 19, don't want a car that big, expensive to insure......
    i'd much rather, and probably will own an ibiza cupra next but at the minute i'm happy with the mk3, i want to get it finished and do the shows etc.......