R32 vs VR6 30 - 70 acceleration

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by vr6highline28, Dec 22, 2004.

1. vr6highline28 Forum Member

saw an article on the net today saying that R32 does 30 to 70 in 6.3 secs ........... is there a recognised time for doing this in an unmodified VR6 ? (yes I know I could get my stopwatch out but ..... !) .....

any ideas ?

2. Joe M Forum Member

According to autocar standard Corrado vr6 does it in 5.7 [:D]

3. vr6highline28 Forum Member

that wouldn't surprise me !!! as you know the corrado VR6 is a 190 bhp unit but I'm sure the mid range on the stock VR6 would be able to match the R32 (i hope !!!)

4. S1MMA Forum Member

Autocar tested the Mk3 Golf VR6 as being 6.4s 30-70mph

Correct on the corrado on being 5.7s

My coupe 20VT is 5.4, so bye bye all of you! :lol: :lol:

5. S1MMA Forum Member

oh and autocar tested the R32 at 6.3s for the record. So not much in it, just that the R32 is much faster off the line due to the 4wd.

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

7. vr6highline28 Forum Member

well at least i know the next time i see an R32 when i'm doing 30 mph then the traffic clears there's nowt to worry about ! quite amazing really when you think the VR6 came into existance way back in 1993 !!!! hope to buy an R32 when the prices come down but surprised mid range its no better than a VR6 !

8. Joe M Forum Member

The R32's probably got shorter gearing than the vr as well due to the 6speed box.
    Change the final drive in the vr or get a gemini 6speed conversion and the R32 shouldnt stand a chance.

9. Royster Forum Member

Interesting thread guys! Some extra info for you all is when AmD done the 270 conversion on my R32 the actual figures I got were 177bhp at the wheels 272.5bhp at the flywheel (95hp loss at the wheels!) :lol: It's had some other work done since so could be a couple higher

So it would not surprise me either to hear that the original VR6 can match or even better the R32 in some cases. :clap:

10. vr6highline28 Forum Member

I think this is a pretty interesting thread too ! I'm 36 now so have no need to fabricate "mine's faster than yours" sort of nonsense ...... when travelling back up the M1 from seeing my folks at Xmas I was gingerly doing 80 (no more) in the unmodified VR6 and was approaching a nice silver R32 .... unsurprisingly he gently pulled out into the outside (despite doing probably on 70 originally) lane ......... when he came to J27 he obviously floored it (to get to the exit) .... I can honestly say that the VR6 was not left behind at all .... I genuinely think that the R32 is no doubt better off the mark and handling is streets ahead due to its 4wd ...... but on a motorway I feel that it's no better than a nearly 8 year old VR6 (unmodified !!)....... am i right here ..... would be great if a VW technician could answer this !!! (by the way still think (very sadly) that my Mk3 Driver 1.8 90bhp is just as quick mid range as a Mk4 1.8 Gti but thats another sad thread no doubt !!!!) ..... any ideas ?

11. MK2R32 New Member

Could i say it's all to do with the power to weight ratio. The R32 weights about 1500kg's where as the VR6 is about 1100kg's, which makes a hell of a difference.

I'm sure all the VR6 owners who were at Stealths RR day a months or two back will tell you what power to weight is all about, the white R32 powered Mark2 was trying to jump of the rollers, even at low revs under load. I'm sure the mark2 would leave any Mark3 with the same power on a straight just because of the weight issue.

12. vr6highline28 Forum Member

thanks for the power to weight ratio comment - the angle I'm coming from is regarding standard production cars (not placing R32 engines into Mk2's !) ........ I'm just a wee bit surprised that VW have produced the R32 which is almost no quicker than a car 10 years it's younger ! maybe that's why they are bringing out the R36 for the Mk5 ? having said that when the prices come down a little I aim to buy an R32 to add to the VR6 .........

13. Seraph Banned

i dont personally think the r32 is any great advance over the 4motion. Thats all it is with a few tweaks and a body kit.
    Tats said its very tricky to say whether someone is/has booted it on the motorway. The only person who will really know this is the driver...

14. vr6highline28 Forum Member

true i agree with the 4motion bit ......... the latter comment well wouldn't you if you had an R32 and saw an old VR6 in your view mirror not getting any smaller !!!!! :) :lol: ......... not that I would do that to Mk4 Gti or Passat Drivers who don't know performance levels of the older cars ! :lol:

15. Golfgirl Forum Member

Who's up for a 1/4 mile race at Santa Pod then? [}:)] :lol:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Edited by: Golfgirl

16. GVK

Absolutely! ;)

17. nuttinnew Forum Member

I think Autocar timed the G40 at 6.6 30-70, same time as the first 172 Clio. Just thought... [:$]

18. GVK

Are the times in the mags. recorded in 3rd gear or going through the gears?

19. vr6highline28 Forum Member

thx for the invite for the 1/4 mile ! want to keep the highline pretty mint and unmodified as it was designed ...... however if you are ever on the M1 near Sheffield give us a shout !!!! glad this thread has keopt going ........ and going ...... :clap:

20. S1MMA Forum Member

me me me me me me!!!

will be there at some point in 2005! Went with my mates coupe in 2004 and we got a best of 14.7 (14.9 with me driving taking the gearchanges easy ;)), so hoping for a bit better in mine this year than thr 14.9 that I got.

you got a time in yours yet?

For the record, tested times for the VR6 and R32 are follows:

VR6:
    0-60= 7.1
    0-100= 18.7
    1/4 mile= 15.7

R32:
    0-60= 6.5
    0-100= 15.6
    1/4 mile= 14.7

So the 60-100 times for both are approx:

VR6 = 11.6
    R32 = 9.1

This could be skewed due to gearing etc... but gives another good indication of the performance difference. The R32 has a 0-30 time of 1.9 seconds, which is the same as a TVR Tuscan S/BMW M Coupe/Skyline R33 GTR/Audi S4 which are all either poweful RWD cars or 4WD cars, and would leave any FWD wagon trailing in its wake. Yes the 4wd is heavy and will be detrimental to the 30-70 time, but chuck in some wet weather into the equation and a VR6 wouldnt see which way it went as long as you werent going for top speed challenge.

thats the thing about 4wd, it saps power/weighs down cars/increases MPG/stunts performance when traction isnt an issue, but gives you the advantage off the line/stability whilst cornering, and the advantage in any bad weather conditions. Take your choice which is more important to you!
    Edited by: S1MMA