Radiator (and IC) for 16V G60

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Trev16v, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I'd be grateful for some recommendations on what kind of radiator I should use with a 16V G60.

The car being converted is a 16V MK2 so of course I already have a standard 16V radiator.

Could this be sufficient, or should I look at using a G60 one?

I just had a look on the GSF website and they don't seem to stock G60 radiators. However, I wondered if something like a MK3 VR6 radiator this would be beefy enough, and also if it would be a straight fit into the chassis.

Another consideration is that I need to allow for clearance for a Forge intercooler (probably one of their stock FMINT10x models) at the front somewhere, and just wondered if anyone can offer any advice on this. I am hoping that I can place the intercooler at the front somewhere without having to move the radiator or something, but I haven't actually made any proper measurements yet.

Also, while I am at it, does anyone have any thoughts about me going for the Forge intercooler? Their 104 model looks like a good shape and size, and they tell me that I could specify what port size and configuration I need, and possibly custom mounting flanges, without affecting the cost much. Seems a good deal at 180 quid. Looks like I can get Samco hosing from them as well, and they tell me to budget between 60 to 100 quid for that on top.

Many thanks in advance.

Trev

2. darnold4 Forum Member

isn't the standard 16v rad a bit small?

prob the best place to ask about intercooler/radiator arrangements is VW vortex; plenty of 16v G60s on there.....I reckon.

what did the "factory" G60 limited use....a normal 8v G60 rad and FMIC?

I'd keep your eyes open on german EBAY too; plenty of G60 bits come up on there......

Sorry this prob isn't much help....... [:s]
    Edited by: darnold4

3. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Maybe of some use to you! :)

Radtec

Alan

4. Andy947 Forum Addict

You can get a G60 rad, jus look under corrado ;)

5. Trev16v

In the Corrado section I could only find a VR6 radiator. Could this be the same part as the one used in the G60? Either way, could it be suitable for me?

Thanks for the tip about Radtec. I just looked on their site and see that they do an intercooler / radiator combination for the G60, at almost 700 quid. Ouch! I'm hoping I can get away with a suitable rad for around 100 quid or so and hopefully one of those Forge units (around 200ish).

6. Andy947 Forum Addict

Maybe its not listed on the site, know what they are like. 99% sure they do one.

Though a VR6 rad would be good too. PhatVR6 got one from ECP and said the quality was superb, but the GSF one was crap. :)

7. Trev16v

Like a berk, I totally forgot about ECP. And indeed they stock a Corrado G60 radiator, currently in stock, for 80 quid. :)

Would I be right in assuming that the radiator mounting points in the Corrado are the same as those in the Golf MK2?

8. Andy947 Forum Addict

uh huh :)

9. Polo Classic Forum Member

The golf G60 radiator is a VAG only part, nobody else sell them. I think the VAG partno er 191 121 253 AL

10. prof Forum Addict

ABF rad is 65 from ECP and is huge, does it need a huge rad tho?

Cosworth sierra intercoolers are pretty small and lots for sale cheap,

11. Seizure Forum Member

The G60 rad is only 5cm wider than an 8v rad yet costs hoards. Or you could use an 8v rad that'll cost you just 35 from G&S.

You're best bet IMHO would be to get a Corrado VR6 rad then have a word with PhatVR6 who is getting Forge to knock up a bunch of ICs.

12. Trev16v

Aye, I think I will have a word with Phat (I know he's a good chap, already bought some stuff from him).

I did see his thread about the custom ICs and I did express my interest.

I phoned up Allard today to see what kind of stuff they can offer, and the chap there said that they do a G60 intercooler copy (which, in fact, is supposed to be a better 'upgrade' for the original G60 I/C) for 360. Does this sound reasonable?

As for the radiator, to be honest I am not completely sure what size I would need. I just assumed I should consider running a larger G60 one.

Many thanks for the advice so far, all. Much appreciated :)

13. A_N_Other Forum Member

For my money, I'd stick with the std rad and use Merc Sprinter IC mounted in front - it may look a bit thin, but it has a fantastic area and you'll be doing well to see 5-10 deg charge temp above ambient.

But lot's of people may disagree.....

14. Carl S Forum Member

stupid question, but who are ECP ? only I'm looking for a VR6 corrado rad for my mk2, GSF do theirs for 115 +vat = 135 ish...

15. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Trev I know someone that bought one of them for a Corrado G60 Turbo conversion and it needed a lot work before it went on correctly, the pipes had to cut off and the end tanks needed work before new bigger pipes were rewelded on! It was supposedly built from a jig taken of an original G60 IC!

Alan

16. King Kwik

King Kwik Forum Member

I'm using this
    and Aquamist

[​IMG]

Lee

17. Trev16v

G40 AL: That's interesting mate, and a bit of a shame really as it sounded like a good intercooler. It might be worth me phoning them up and just asking them about this.

A_N_Other: A Sprinter I/C is something that Vince at Stealth mentioned to me ages ago, but I've never really been sure how good these are for this application. Any more thoughts?

King Kwik: Could you offer some more information on what you've shown us there please mate?

As for the radiator, I don't know if I really need anything bigger than the standard 16V one or not, but I just assumed that I probably would.

18. King Kwik

King Kwik Forum Member

it's a chargecooler

Lee

19. A_N_Other Forum Member

I've used them on a couple of 20V conversions, and they seem just the job.
    You couldn't fit a bigger one in front of the standard radiator of you tried, and it seems to flow really well.
    Cooling is spot on - worst charge temp I've seem was about 35C in an ambient of about 18C in town - on a rolling road I saw 50.

20. A_N_Other Forum Member

Re: Merc Sprinter I/C

I've used them on a couple of 20V conversions, and they seem just the job.
    You couldn't fit a bigger one in front of the standard radiator of you tried, and it seems to flow really well.
    Cooling is spot on - worst charge temp I've seem was about 35C in an ambient of about 18C in town - on a rolling road I saw 50.