Rear wiper working but washer isnt working

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Zenon98, May 16, 2023.

1. Zenon98 New Member

Hello, Im new member here and im hoping someone can help me to sort out my problem. My golf mk2 is 1988year and the front washer and the rear washer share the same pump and bottle in the engine bay. The thing is that the pump is working in the two directions when i swap + and - but when i plug the connector for the washer and i pull the stalks for front washer the front washer is working but when i press the stalks for rear wiper and the washer only the wiper is working. I have tested the stalks and relays everything is ok. But behind the fusebox i have blue/green wire which i dont know where it goes. I have tested that bl/green wire has voltage when i activate the stalks for rear washer. Does someone know where that wire goes? I can post a picture later

2. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Have you tried pushing the rear wash/wiper stalk and listening to see if the pump runs? Just that mine was doing this a while back, when I pushed the stalk the pump ran but no fluid coming out. Was a blocked washer jet. Cleaned it out with a miniature drill bit in my fingers and it’s fine.

3. Zenon98 New Member

I tried that but nothing the pump is not getting voltage for the rear washer when i push the stalks, when i pull the stalks the front washers are working. I have tested the pump directly on battery, working in two ways reversing + and - . Why am i not getting voltage to the pump when pushing for rear wash, but when i pull for front washers i have voltage? .

4. watercooled Forum Member

Had this and it was the stalk,crappy contacts and just replaced it ,your pump sounds fine on a bench test so it is a control issue,good luck

5. Zenon98 New Member

But when i push the stalk for quick wash the wiper starts working. Can you tell me how switching polarity works and how the washer pump is wired?

6. Zenon98 New Member

Can someone tell me where the hell this wire needs to be wired to enable the washer pump to work for the rear? i get voltage on this wire when i pull the stalks for rear washing
    1-CB62-B55-7-B5-F-458-B-9-D38-B8-D69-BAD1-BEA.jpg 2-C6-A74-E7-8-C7-B-49-B0-8-A21-3-E085-FEBE1-B9.jpg DFD8-DD9-A-84-C6-4-DCF-87-D5-1-DB434786-FA7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2023
  7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if its a ce1 look at the base of the wiper stalk as you operate the washers. you can see the metal contacts right there, give them a clean up and bend that might sort you out had to do the same on my cabby

8. rubjonny

and as if by magic, your pictures have appeared ;)

so thats the output for rear pump, you should have a matchign plug for it on your headlight loom. however, if the headlight loom is a missmatched early one you wont have a spade on this wire instead its just earthed in the main harness. have a look at the earth claw above fusebox though, if its got a brown/blue in there pop it off and fit it to your extra male spade

9. Zenon98 New Member

But the thing is that i dont have a rear pump and bottle in the boot, the rear washer uses the front bottle and the pump has double output hoses,btw my golf is 1988 year. Can you help me to wire that wire so the pump can reverse polarity and fluid to go to the rear washer?

10. rubjonny

yep, this is how the CE1 fusebox cars are. originally with the separate pumps you have the rear loom wire straight to rear pump, and headlight loom wire straight to front pump and each have their own earth to chassis/battery.

in 88 when they moved rear pump to front the rear pump wire has a spade put on it, then the 2nd wire for the washer pump has a spade near fusebox and plugs into that in a golf. in a jetta it plugs to the claw above the fusebox :)

so have a look around fusebox area for a brown/blue wire with female spade, I'd assume its plugged into the claw which is why your pump works for front but not rear. either that, or you have a pre-88 front wiring loom where the pump is earthed in with main earth back to battery

11. Zenon98 New Member

Hi Jonny, I spend 2 hours looking for that wire and i found nothing. I looked up in the ground clamp where is no wire for the pump i tried with those wires on the clamp but with no success. Can you suggest me what to do? Can i make the front pump work for the rear or i must use another pump in the boot? Thank you for helping me

12. Zenon98 New Member

Here is the pump tested directly working in both directions
    B1-B06-B3-E-FD4-F-4281-AD09-A1-A24-E0490-F6.jpg

Those wires i dont know for what are. Maybe for the pump
    9-D7010-E5-4-B74-497-A-9639-2-DEEB5-E6-A365.jpg

EDIT: I think the pump is directly earthed to the ground, i removed every single ground wire from the clamp above fusebox and the pump is working for the front. Is there a workaround to make it with one pump? I'm definitely sure its with one pump from factory because i can see the hose going from from the engine bay to the boot together with the harness

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2023
  13. rubjonny

ok so the spare plugs you found are for the side repeaters in the wings so you can ignore those.

so yeah what I think has happened is your headlight loom has been replaced with one from an earlier car, which had front washer only and so the pump is earthed in with the main wiring back to battery negative.

2 options here, you can either add a pump in the boot or run a wire from the brown/blue you found to the earth pin on your front washer pump

14. Zenon98 New Member

As you said i ran a wire from the brown/blue to earth pin on the front pump but when i tried on the stalks the fuse blowed. Is the only solution to make the rear washer to add a pump in the boot?

15. rubjonny

Just to double check, you need to remove the earth wire first entirely, then run the blue/brown to the now empty pin if that makes sense

16. Zenon98 New Member

Nope, tried that aswell and like that no front washing and rear washing. Do you have the wiring diagram for the dual output pump? i can run completely new wires from the pump to the fusebox

17. rubjonny

check the pins in the base of your wiper stalk like I mentioned above. you might have lost the earth to the stalk though, look for a brown wire to the plug on it I see this burnt out all the time in looms I repair

18. rubjonny

19. Zenon98 New Member

I checked the stalk everything is ok with it as already said i get voltage on the brown/blue wire when i push the stalk but i dont know where the brown/blue wire needs to be wired. The only solution for now is to add a rear pump and bottle but that seems to me a little odd cuz i have the double pump and the hose from engine to the trailgate

20. rubjonny

it is possible to read voltage at the stalk but it still not be enough to run the pump, this can just be a case of corrosion buildup on the stalk contact points I mention

to test wiring from stalk to pump unplug the stalk and make yourself 2 jumper wires. poke 1 wire into the black/grey, and the other into the brown. now the black/grey is ignition live, so do this with ignition off. to test front wash, run the black/grey to the green/red, and brown to green/white. switch ignition on, front washer should work. if not, try running a wire from a good earth point to the green/white, if it works that time, then its the brown earth wire to the stalk which is bad. we know the grey/black is ok since the wipers work.

to test rear wash, reverse the 2 jumpers so black/grey jump to green/white and brown -> green/red