Rear wiper working but washer isnt working

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Zenon98, May 16, 2023.

1. Zenon98 New Member

Hi, I made jumper wires and tested the stalk. Front washer working flawlessly, rear washer not working but when i jump the wires for rear washer im getting voltage to the brown/blue wire down to the fusebox and i have wired another pump on the wire and grounded it to the clamp. When i jump the wires the pump starts working. Now my question is how can i make it to the front pump but i need to reverse polarity when i push the stalk. How to make the front washer + terminal to be - when i activate rear washer?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

jumping the wires as I describe should get the front pump doing front and rear, if its not then you need to double check the wiring.

the green/white wire on the stalk is power to the rear pump and is what supplies 12v to the brown/blue wire. did the rear wiper start working when you jumped brown to red/green and black/grey to green/white?

3. Zenon98 New Member

Yes the rear wiper is working with the jumped wires, im guessing that the stalk is ok, but what am i missing to not be able to activate the pump ? What do you think? Any solution besides adding a pump in the boot?
    [​IMG]
    https://postimg.cc/rzy6qb9B

4. rubjonny

if the rear wiper works when you jump the grey/black to the green/white but not the pump then you have an issue with the wiring between the fusebox and the pump on the brown/blue wire. perhaps some corrosion on the pin, or fusebox itself is bad.

next test, unplug the black rear wiring plug and put 12v to the brown/blue wire, unplug the yellow headlight loom plug and put earth to the green/red. you should then have rear washer. if not, you have a problem with the wiring somewhere

5. Zenon98 New Member

Hi @rubjonny. After so much time PROBLEM SOLVED. The thing was in the stalks, the old style stalk was with only one pin when pressing for rear washer wiper, when i found a stalk from 88-89 that one was with double contacts i think thats for switching polarity the rear washer started working immediately
    As you said that wire behind fusebox goes directly to the earth pin on the pump. Thank you for helping me.

6. rubjonny

ah of course you're right yes, the early ones just send live out of either of the pins rather than switching from live to earth depending on stalk position like on the later stalks. should have thought of that one earlier. glad its sorted though :thumbup:

Zenon98 likes this.