reconditioning mk2 16v dizzy distributor

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by PaulM, Apr 27, 2007.

1. PaulM Forum Member

I would like to try and recondition my old 16v distributor as it's got the dreaded oil seal leak. My first question is how do you dismantle it to replace the seal? Do i need to pull off the cap from the hall sender side or release the pin from the engine side? I want to try and make this an FAQ and take some piccy's!

2. rupe Forum Member

You need to knock that pin out, then you can slide the whole lot up through.

3. PaulM Forum Member

Cheers dude, will try today!

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

the pin is hard work to knock out...idealy you need a press or at least a proper sized punch , it aint gona bang out with a old nail put it that way

5. PaulM Forum Member

The pin we are talking about is the one through the black cog which connects to the camshaft side with the spring around it yes?

6. rupe Forum Member

Yes thats the pin and as pigbladder says it's not easy getting it out.

7. SimonG Forum Member

8. PaulM Forum Member

yeah, bit ****ed off at the mo. the 'newer' one i got from someone on here is leaking[:x] [8(]

Don't want to buy a new one but that seems the only way to guarantee no leaks

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

so did you get one apart? after the pin is out its easy to refit the seal

10. PaulM Forum Member

not yet mate. was changing the oil this weekend as i got the dizzy to stop the leak so as not to waste more oil! Noticed the bottom of the cap had a drip of oil on it and on taken it off the oil leak is still there.

I will try the pin on the older one but i now want to sort the leak.. again. Guy said it was only 8 months old as well!

11. pigbladder Forum Addict

i hear the ebay cheapys leak quick anyway

12. Leon R Forum Member

Getting my new one tmrw from Euro, its not an exchange unit and comes to 70.25, I would rather get a Bosch one but thats about 90 from GSF and its an exchange item. My seal is leaking so bad now that the car didnt start yesterday. Sprayed the hall sender plugs with DWF and blew it dry and it was ok.

13. PaulM Forum Member

not ebay, someone on here let me know about one for sale said it was mint i.e nearly new. Contacted the guy and he confirmed it was 8 months old and had been on a engine. I won't name names as i haven't contacted him direct yet. annoyed to say the least[:^(]

14. PaulM Forum Member

Ok, some progress. Got the pin out and took apart the distributor. Used a punch slightly smaller then the hole through the cog at the end and gave it a good smack.

[​IMG]

Then laid out all the parts, there are some washers that are light Dremel cutting discs. Does anyone know what type of washer that is one, if not both need replacing.

[​IMG]

Then the second hardest bit was removing the washer in the lip on the other side with covers the oil seal. As you can see from the pic (middle item) it has a serrated edge and is quite soft. I gently knocked it out from the other side. And the seal at the bottom, didn't look too bad but leaked alot so...

[​IMG]

Then the shaft. Looks like there is a groove where the seal should sit about 5mm up from the bottom. Gonna clean this up before refitting.

[​IMG]

Have some oil seals on order so i'll see how that goes and then test it.

15. rupe Forum Member

Well done on getting that pin out, what size seal have you bought?
    12x19x5 rings a bell.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  16. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

17. PaulM Forum Member

I have a couple of different seals on order, gonna compare and decide which one to use. Ones with dust caps and ones without, can anyone see any issues with the dust cap version. I thought it might act as a second seal ish. There only a few quid so what the hell.

The size i have gone for is indeed 12x19x5 and most places start 12.5mm x 22mm not 19 so it would be to big.

18. PaulM Forum Member

Well the new seals arrived. I got some with a dust seal (left, you can just make out the lip on the inside) and some normal seals.:) Got them from Simply Bearings, very good service. Next day delivery and flat rate of postage of 1.25!:clap:

[​IMG]

Then i gently knocked it into the distributor, making sure not to go down too far. I check with the shaft to make sure the oil seal lip 'clicked' with the mark on the shaft to seal.[:D]

[​IMG]

No all i've got to do is clean up the washers and put it back together.;)

19. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

Good work. Nice pics too.

Did you use the seal with the dust cap?

20. PaulM Forum Member

yup, used the dust cap version. Nice and tight now, the washer i was missing (disintegrated) and i used a fiber washer. This was giving the movement through the shaft. I haven't fitted it yet as the weathers been bad.

Can i get my first sticky mods?