Redrilling wheels - has this guy found the limit?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by A.N. Other, Sep 13, 2010.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Stumbled over these on eBay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- redrilled centre lock magnesium racing wheels, with what, 5-7mm between the inner part of the centre hole and wheel bolt hole :o

No wheels on your wagon - click?

2. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Have they been redrilled? Grp A rallying Cossies never had centre locking hubs.

Have to admit though, does look odd that the centre curves in like that where the bolt holes are.

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The shamfered edges look like they're for centre nuts to me.

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Needs some chunky spigot rings too! I think I'll pass!

5. faithless

faithless CGTI Regional Host

er i think i like my rims on the car to much to buy them....

could just see me giving it some right foot stick and see on going a different direction to me [:s]

6. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Definately not regular Group A Cossie wheels.

[​IMG]

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I think they'll be Touring Car.

8. WillG

WillG Forum Member

9. Andy947 Forum Addict

Gotta laugh at all the OMG reactions in this thread.

Any of you care to explain, why you think the wheel is sooooo dangerous?

How exactly do the wheel bolts apply the load to the wheel to secure it . . . .

10. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

omg.

11. G40

G40 Forum Member

Feck :o

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Instead of trolling, again, why don't you explain your point of view?

There is a limit to the number of times you're going to stride around this forum, from here on, being totally obnoxious like this. And I still owe you a PM.

13. Andy947 Forum Addict

I'm more interested to know why you all think the wheel will come flying off the car. . .

Does that 5-7mm thick piece between the wheel bolt hole and the centre bore take the full load from the wheel bolts? What would happen if it wasn't there at all? Would the wheel bolt still be able to apply the clamping force to the wheel?

I don't think its unsafe. :)

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

No, you're more interested in suggesting people aren't right, taking a sneering approach on matters and generally being obnoxious.

You have PM, and you are invited to say what you think. Make sure in your engineers summary, you do not exclude the topic matter of centre bore and spigot rings :thumbup:

15. Andy947 Forum Addict

Centre bore and spigot ring are irrelevant, IMO. You've got to get some pretty significant deformation of wheel and wheel bolts to get any load applied to the spigot. (Always with the assumption that the wheel bolts are tight)

However, if you want include them then they further strengthen the argument that there is no issue with that bolt pattern as any centre spigot will support the "5-7mm" piece of wheel. :)

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

im not an engineer but it does look sketchy, obviously due to the lack of material between the centre hole and the wheel bolt holes

the wheel bolts clamp the wheel to the hub. the centre bore (i think) handles vertical forces, ie the weight of the car, clamping and lateral forces (ie going round corners).

yeah there is still metal there but not the amount of metal youd normally have round the bolts

and for that reason IM OUT

[​IMG]

hth

17. m1keh Forum Member

Notice how that the bolts clamping force is applied to the seat all the way round where it is clamped on. Now think that there is only maybe 5% maximum that is clamping on the rather large 7mm of alloy left there. The other 95% of clamping force is applied to points around the wheel with much greater strength. On the assumption of taper wheel bolts, consider with correct spigot rings inserted that when the clamping force of the bolt pushes out onto it's seat in the 5-7mm "thin" area this force will be transferred onto the spigot as with any other wheel.

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'd have thought the stresses on the wheel could lead to cracking around that area, as it tries to rip itself from the hub under cornering loads in particular. As well as being a bit close to the spigot hole, they've gone pretty deep into the wheel, and there's less depth of material there than there would normally be, because it's machined into the chamfer for the centre lock. If it was safe to go that close, then the manufacturer would have probably saved the weight and naterial cost by doing just that.

Might be ok for road use and road tyres, but I wouldn't want to take it near a track or rally stage.

19. m1keh Forum Member

From those pictures you can't see how thick anything is behind the bolt holes. The fact they've been drilled and used with tarmac rally tyres also backs up the point that they are plenty strong enough for road and track use. I'm not gonna buy them as I don't have a ford fitment car, neither are probably most people who have commented on this thread. Unless they are going to drill them to 4*100 90 degrees offset to the 4*108 holes.

20. prof Forum Addict

exactly we cant see the back face of the wheel and we don't know if it's a fancy metal alloy. I'd want some very close fitting spigots though