Rocker Breather.... is this OK?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by DarkMK2, Jul 6, 2005.

1. DarkMK2 Forum Member

Hi all, i have a 1.6 Driver and i run a KnN panel filter in a standard air box, only i get an awful amount of oil in the air box and entering into the top of the carb. my query is two fold....

1. Is this excess oil in the air box normal? would a brand new engine produce the same amount of oil vapour, or is this a sign that the engine is old and worn??

2. I have just fitted a weber dmtl replacement carb, and i would like to prevent this carb from being contaminated with oil as my old peirberg was. Would is be OK to get ride of the breather pipe from rocker>air box, and some how fabricate a seperate filter for the oil vapour? If so, what options do i have for this?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Raucous Forum Member

I may be wrong but isnt the oil due to having a heavy foot on the loud pedal? [:D]

3. DarkMK2 Forum Member

I hardly ever drive it hard... and i would very much doubt that a heavy right foot would be the sole cause of it, if it is then its a rather bad design fault!!:lol:
    Edited by: DarkMK2

4. rradogolfman Forum Member

worn rings will make your car blow ollot of oil due to compression seeping past the rings and into the crankcase, pressurising it and forcing your car to breathe heavily

5. DarkMK2 Forum Member

Yes i thought the rings might have something to do with it! So would a new/re-cond. engine with perfect compression produce no oil or just less oil in the aur box?? i just want to know if its normal to see oil there or whether its a problem?

And what about the second part of my question... any ideas??

6. FeastyVW Forum Member

My Driver does exactly the same thing. I'm fitting a MK3 GTi polished rocker cover and K&N breather to stop the problem. ;)

7. DarkMK2 Forum Member

Is the mk3 rocker cover a straight swap? and the KnN breather... are you on about those miniture KnN air filter looking things??

obviously the KnN breather will stop oil gettin into the air box, but y fit the mk3 rocker cover??? i dont understand how this will stop heavy breathing [:s]

8. FeastyVW Forum Member

It's a slightly convoluted way of doing things. The polish rocker just looks much better. All you need do it fit an oil breather to the top of your rocker cover i.e. K&N, PiperX etc. Either that or fabricate a simple catch tank going from the top of the rocker to some sort of container (Stella can works a treat).

9. Jetta Forum Junkie

Does it have a pcv valve on top of the rocker?
    Or just a rear facing outlet?

You could retrofit an oil seperator off a 1.3 engine like the 2G, then use a breather filter, thats what I did on my 1.3, and pipe it up using hydralic hose as its cheap

10. FeastyVW Forum Member

He's just got the rear facing outlet i'd imagine....

11. Jetta Forum Junkie

should be easy to install the seperator, along with a breather filter and some hardwalled hydralic hose

12. DarkMK2 Forum Member

Thanks peeps!! big help:clap:

KnN filter it is then.... i once had a small engined motoX bike which had i miniture KnN airfilter on it, i will probably just get one of these from a bike shop. [:D]

Unless any1 can advise otherwise....

Cheers!
    Edited by: DarkMK2

13. FeastyVW Forum Member

You need to check the apature of the hole in the rocker cover, to make sure you get the right breather. I know Piper to 3 wat ones that'll fit different sized apatures.

14. octane Forum Junkie

5the oil in your carb won't be doing any harm tbh!

15. DarkMK2 Forum Member

Well when you put it like that Jettas... my worries disappear! if only youposted earlier!:lol:

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

Fitting a catch tank is fine, provided you remember to block off the feed into the carb (or you'll have a huge air leak and wreck your engine, if it runs at all).

If you're worried about the state of the rings, do a compression test. I've seen some very oily carbs on these engines and they seem to run OK though, so I wouldn't get too worried about it unless you're losing a lot of oil, or it's blowing out as blue smoke.

So you're buying a weber...did you change the inlet O ring yet?

17. FeastyVW Forum Member

Thats a bloody good point. Though it is fairly obvious. Though I still totally forgot [:$]

18. DarkMK2 Forum Member

Yes i got the weber last week from GSF... 206 left a bit of a hole in the old wallet, but was a great investment!![:D]i couldn't be more happy with it.... if anyone out there is thinking of the same conversion, DO IT!!!! best mod u'll do (bar engine conversion!:lol:)

As for the inlet O ring, i thought i'd see how it went without changing it... and it goes like stink compared to having the peirburg on! throughout the whole rev range it runs better in every way, so i presuming that the O ring is fine... [:s]

19. chopperoli Forum Member

if you look in your oil fill hole, and you can see the camshaft, then you need to get yourself a factory camshaft splashguard. its a black plastic piece which sits under the rocker cover and stops oil splashing around (and going up the breather pipe). you can find it on mostly all post 85 hydraulic tappet 8v cylinder heads in golfs, sciroccos etc. just go down the scrapyard, look in the oil caps of 8v vwstil u find one with it, pull the rocker cover off, and it just lifts out. its a recommended retrofit if you don't have one

20. DarkMK2 Forum Member

Yes i seem to remember mine does have this plate.... so does this mean my head has definitely got hydraulic tappets?