RS3!

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by ivegotagti, Nov 22, 2010.

1. ivegotagti Forum Member

2. Alexf Forum Member

pistonheads have got a fairly good article on it, shame it doesn't use the A5s 4WD system

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Sportback. Barf.

Hope they release it as a normal 3dr hatch as well.

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

nice idea, but would I want to spend 40k and be driving an A3? probably not

5. Ess Three Forum Member

Many will...
    You can spend 40k on a Mk6 Golf R and not have the 5 cylionder engine & extra power...so I doubt they'll have any problem selling them.

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^ good point, I wouldnt but one of those either :lol:

But then to be fair I don't have to consider practicailty one bit. Just 40k puts you into some very nice cars

7. paultownsend Forum Member

has gilm not just turned his mk5 into a car with the same ammount of power?

8. jamesa Forum Junkie

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  9. G-Man Forum Junkie

And Revo advertise they take the same engine upto 410hp and 403lb/ft!!! :lol:

10. Admin Guest

Indeed, pretty ugly in 5dr

11. PeeJay Forum Junkie

I don't really 'get' these super-expensive hatches. The RS500's and 35k golfs.

Hatchback are meant to be 'cars of the people' and hot ones (however much power it's got it's still a hot hatch) are meant to be 'performance cars of the people' and 40k cars aren't off the people really.

I guess in real terms the only thing to 'get' is that Audi think there's a market for it, or at very least grabing some headlines selling it will shift a load of normal A3's (its no conincidence that Audi has a history of making it hotest cars out of it's most boring - estates and such to improve the image).

If it was me, and I had 40k to spend on a Car and just wanted to go fast, I could go faster for the money, if I wanted a practical car I could go far more practical for the money, same for comfort, 'badge' and pretty much every other category that people choose a car on.

I don't think it works as a great balance ether - fast & practical there are better cars.

Even if I had 40k to spend on a Car (I really, really don't) and wanted a fast & fun car, but had to have back seats and day-to-day drivability I'd spend half that on a Golf GTi

12. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Id have one of every RS Audi model in my garage if i won the lottery. Until that day im **** out of luck really. [:^(]

13. ianb Forum Member

I thought there was a so called Recession??

Who's got 40k lying around in the real world?

With the average salary under 25k who can afford this?

For Celebs ,Solicitors Dr's and self employed business people who buy it through the company!

14. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Anyone who buys a new car cash outright is a mug, unless they are rich.

15. ianb Forum Member

Absolutely

I'd still take one on on track against my valver:thumbup:

I bet they're heavy and have heatsoak!!;)

16. G-Man Forum Junkie

I can imagine the rich husband in his RS4 or RS6 with too much money will probably 'treat' the wife to an RS3 as her daily shopping trolley and to take the kids in school.

17. Andy947 Forum Addict

pffft, nonsense.

Being on finance restrictis your options if you want a change

18. Andy947 Forum Addict

In reality, it'd be pretty difficult to go buy one i reckon, the people who buy these are people who buy regularily at dealers o i bet most would be allocated to regular customers, and picking up an allocation would be quite hard.

I'd not be interested since its the sportback. I've never understood the sportback, either bu a 3Dr A3 or an A4 Avant, the Sportback sits awkwardly between the two.

If it were a 3Dr i'd love one!

19. Ess Three Forum Member

Of course they are...proof is just how many 30-40k hatches are selling.
    Things may very well be different in different parts of the Uk...but up here, the recession has barely made a ripple...and a 30-40k car is hardly excessive.
    so you can spend 30-40k on something with 2 seats and no practicality...or the same on a proper 4 seater with a good boot.

I agree...
    But if you didn't have the means to store a weekend 'toy' and just wanted something able and quick from A to B, well built, safe, under warranty (no big bills). practical enough to do a skip run in etc...why not?
    It'll do everything you want it to.

I'd say it works perfectly.
    Sure, it'll not be a pure driving tool...or a uber luxo-barge...but tio have the best of all worlds you'd need 2 or 3 cars...so you accept 90% of each of them, roll it into one car...and only have to run, store, maintain one car.

I agree...
    But a Mk6 GTI with a few options will cost you 30k+...so it's not that big a step up to the RS3.

Personally, if I wanted a Golf GTI with more power and 4WD, I'd have a Golf R with options, over an RS3.
    But you can spend 40k on a Golf R with options...so does the RS3 look a better buy?

Maybe...but I'm not taken with the Chavtastic styling...

20. Peter Forum Member

You'd really want the extra doors and hatch to buy one of these over a BMW M1