Rubbers melting, help needed.

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Keith's Dad!, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

No, I don't mean a good sex life, but the rubber exhaust mounts on the MK1 Stock Hatch. The plain rubber standard ones last about 1/2 a mile before melting. We ordered and fitted these high quality Powerflex ones from Demon Tweeks.[​IMG]

They were supposed to resist high temperatures and cost us 20 quid for 3 even with our discount! A five mile road test this morning has melted one of those too!

Has anyone got something which will do the job, or has a link to someone on the net selling supports up to the job? We are back to a J/clip now which makes more noise than the engine!

2. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

could heat wrap the brackets some how? make a flexible metal bracket to hang it from?

tim

3. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

Hi Tim, we did try that by wrapping exhaust bandage around the bracket. It lasted about 2 laps longer but still melted. I think we have fitted at least 15 new rubbers including a 'fibre' enforced one. They all let go after a fairly short period. A couple of springs cut to the right length may do it, but we don't want the pipe to bounce. Do MK2's also get this problem?

4. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

They melt really easy.

Either use a standard rubber with a jubilee clip around it, or buy the chain re-inforced ones from C+R for a few quid a time.

5. Andy947 Forum Addict

How would a jubilee clip / chain stop them melting? [:[]

6. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

Who are C+R do you have a link?

7. chrismc Forum Junkie

Powerflex mounts are sh1t....& so are the C&R jobbies. My car melts both....the joys of a Supersprint GpA exhaust eh??

Id get back on to Demon Tweeks regarding the Powerflex rubbers. They put me in contact with Powerflex direct who claimed that "Golf exhausts run hotter than any other car" as they havent ever had a problem with other cars [:s] [:s] What a load of Bollo*ks!! You should have no probs with a refund ;)

Still trying to sort out a long term solution for my car [:[]
    Edited by: chrismc

8. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

Yes we were going to go back to DT, so what do you use now if you still have a problem? Are you saying the MK2 is just as bad as the MK1? The only thing we found which does not melt is a jubilee clip but what a row it makes! By the way I recon the Powerflex one lasted no longer than a standard Halfords rubber ring! Although I guess if heat is not a factor they must be stronger.

9. chrismc Forum Junkie

A C&R mount with a jubilee clip around it will have more longevity, but will ultimately still melt..

Will certainly be an improvement over standard/Powerflex though.. ;)

I now use a C&R rear mount with heatwrapped hanger & oval (as opposed to standard diamond shape) center rubber.. :)

10. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

It would stop the problem that is caused after melting :clap:

11. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

Then it's back to a jubilee clip then, same thing!!

12. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

Anyway, what did VW fit on a new MK1 then? Surely our car is no different to a bog standard MK1 as far as exhaust pipe heat is concerned? Does anyone know the answer?

13. ghost Forum Member

Tried to buy some powerflex exhaust mounts from Rally Designs at the end of last year and they told me that they no longer sold them as they had problems with them melting. Finally managed to fix mine by fabricating new mounts using someheavy duty rubber bobbins and heat resistant spacers from work - so far they're holding but it's only done around 200 miles since the start of the year.

14. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

I recon we will do Brands with Jubilee clips then. But what puzzles me is that the far rear one melts long before the centre ones. That doesn't make sense to me as you would think the centre section would be hotter, it's nearer the engine and can't get as much air flow around it. It's a mystery for sure. The welded on hooks are the same both rear and centre.I guess the weight is less on the centre ones because there are 2 rather than just 1 at the back, but even so it is strange. At least other Golf 1 & 2 also seem to suffer the same problems.

15. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

more resistance in the back section - muffler? generates more heat?

more wieght on it?

tim

16. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

Oh right, makes sense..

17. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I've never melted one on my car.. maybe it's dependant on the make of system...?
    Edited by: Tubthumped

18. RO

Ro Forum Member

i never had a problem with std mounts on my old MK1, it ran ashley comp 4branch and exhaust, and had about 150-60 BHP, got very hot but didn't melt anything!

Ro

19. iguana Forum Member

Mk2 16v with Jetex- Every trackday ive snapped a rear rubber hanger & spent the rest of the day with the rear silencer banging about, at the last one I went prepared & took 3 new mounts with me & snapped 'em all!

System im trying now (Matt at designadubs idea) is a jubilie clip tightened right up & with an old mount rubber in the middle getting scrunched right up.

Not tracked it yet I'll let ya knwo how I get on.

Alternatively a Corrado VR6 has a far more heavy duty hanger system than Golfs & maybe worth copying.

20. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

Not sure it's HP related, but I recon it could be system related. We have a janspeed rear box. The centre section has what looks like a cherry bomb bit. It's just a bigger diameter about 18inches long. The twin downpipe is heatwrapped from the manifold flange to the first joint. The manifold is standard 1600 GTI because of the regs. So nothing exotic at all. Mouse, when you say standard mounts, were they just the rubber ring type or what? Our revs are much higher than standard (7.5 - 8K) but nothing really drastic to cause such a big difference. What engine were you using mouse? 1.6 1.8 or more?