Rubbers melting, help needed.

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Keith's Dad!, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

iguana.. Does it only play up when you are gunning it on track days then? Our Golf never runs at normal speeds/revs.

2. iguana Forum Member

Yeh only on track, (tho I've not really done many road mile in this car) I also get all my exhaust clamps loosen off after every day too! which i guess can only exacerbate the issue!

Obviously can't get the sort of heat on the road as sitting near the red line for say 100-150 flat out track miles- (or even more on an open pit day)

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

I guess if you've heatwrapped the front end it's taking more heat back to the rubber mounted sections.

My jetex stainless exhaust came with some heavy duty rubbers, so maybe you can try them to see if they'll flog you some h/d mk1 mountings - in principle, more mountings, (some of the nasty 'universal' ones don't have any rubber in them so might actually work quite well as backups when your rubbers fail) or mountings designed for heavier systems are what you want I guess.

Here's a bizarre thought...have you tried wrapping the rubbers in ally foil to reflect the radiated heat from the exhaust...just an idea. They'll still get the conducted heat from the hanger, but it might help, especially if they're close to the pipe.

4. vrbanana Forum Junkie

replace the rubbers with wire cable, seen the hanger on the body and exhaust drilled in the middle and a cable threaded through the holes with a stop on the top and bottom. Little difficult to describe but it works as the cable is braided like a clutch or hand brake cable and is flexible enough to let the exhaust move but not too much. The end stops were like the ones the AA/RAC use when making a temp clutch cable in place of the normal soldered nipples.

also some Merc's use the same thing for hanging the spare wheels underneath

5. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

The idea did come from sombody a while ago. May be worth a try, but I think we will play safe at Brands and just settle for a Jubilee clip. Sod the noise, at least we will keep the exhaust system on the car, and what the hell it's a racing car for christ sake, what do you expect but noise. To be honest we found the on board camera turned it's volume down due to the rattle noises, so the DUBCAM shots did not pick up the proper engine and tyre noises well. Have a look at our web site after Brands to see the results. Or see our test video now at www.keith.grone.co.uk

6. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

I had this problem too on mine, i think it's the weight of the rear silencer as well as the heat that kept knackering the rubbers. i use jubilee clips clamped around the rubbers which seems to have cured the problem. The rubber may still get hot and even melt but it's not under any tension so won't snap, as the jubilee clip is holding the weight, but the rubber still damps the noise and vibration.
    On my old exhaust we also welded another hanger onto rear box so we were using 2 rubbers rather than one to support it.

7. Carl S Forum Member

My Mk2 kept banging the rear where it goes over the beam with the standard one stretching after a few miles. The jubilee clip acting as a skin around the standard mount has solved this for the most part, but now one of the do-nut pair has come off at the last event. I think I'll end up Jubilee clipping these before the next event.

One thing I have noticed is that the jubilee clip works but the rubber is in danger of popping out of the middle of the clip (sideways). This weekend I'm going to bind the clip & rubber with wire so it won't pop out.

I too bought a nice yellow powerflex one for the rear hanger, it lasted one trip before it turned into a goey mess

8. loadsavalves

loadsavalves Forum Member

Have you tried genuine vw rubber mounts , they're much better than the halfords/parts place s***t. they still won't last forever though :p

9. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

aye,strange one this.

i used the powerflex jobbies to hold the magnex in place,all the lot melted [xx(]

put genuine vw rubbers on,and it was fine untill the day it came off the road [:s]

neil.

10. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

After all the advice, I recon it's the Jubilee clip for Brands anyway. It may make a noise but at least it won't melt and it will allow the pipe to move a bit. Thanks for everyones contributions. It seems this is a Golf problem which many people have had.

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

The mounts that came with my jetex stainless (on a Mk2) have been on for over 2 years now, and they're cracking, but not melted... Big beasts too...

12. jamesa Forum Junkie

1.8 Mk1 - 4 into 1 manifold only wrapped above driveshaft gaiter - Supersprint full exhaust

Centre mount consists of a very thick factors item (not sure for what car) sliced vertically in half and `covered` with a jubilee clip. Clip is only slightly tensioned. Rubber is melting slightly but only after twelve events (hills / sprints)and one circuit session.

Rear box has three supports - front two are standard factor items with rear being a C&R chain reinforced item - no problems.

By the way, C&R advised that their items should not be fitted to the centre mount point.

Good luck
    Andrew

13. deajam Forum Member

It happens on the middle hanger on my MK2. How about something like this to dissipate heat better.

[​IMG]

Or this mounted vertically with the exhaust on the top compressing the rubber on to the chassis mounted support.

[​IMG]

14. Keith's Dad! Forum Member

We have now gone to jubilee clips all round. Makes a hell of a din on tickover but at least it works. All ideas and suggestions have not proved to work (if it involves rubber or a deridative). If it's not made of metal it melts!

Who invented the jubilee clip anyway? he must be worth billions.