Silverstone instructor video with paul haslam's 16v

Discussion in 'The Video Forum' started by fthaimike, Feb 4, 2007.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

Here you go peeps, this is the kind of thing you get when you have an instructor with you around Silverstone.
    The instructors name is James & driving the car was Paul Haslam in his 16v mk1 Golf cabrolet, get out the pop corn sit back & enjoy (& post your comments please).

Video is 17mins 24secs!!!!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=5357300661341467386&hl=en-GB

You may wan't to make this a possible future sticky as it's a good training vid for peeps thinkin of driving around Silverstone.

edit:
    Here is the 2nd instructor's vid i have:
    http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-2220041807549204876&hl=en-GB

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  2. seanlazyass Forum Member

Excellent video Mike, thanx for sharing :thumbup:

3. bigeyd Forum Member

Thanks for sharing mike

4. vduben Forum Member

very good, rocket rons son isnt it?
    thought he was a biker boy

5. loadsavalves

loadsavalves Forum Member

What ??[:s]

That was really interesting to watch, I haven't been out with an instructor before but might give it a go next time out.

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Yep, very interesting and the things he told Paul *not* to do I KNOW I do! :lol:

You could see after a few laps the lines were much smoother, good stuff :)

I've only had one session of instruction over the years from Ian Carvell at Donny, we went sideways everywhere tho!

I'm not sure about the whole them grabbing the wheel thing tho [:$]

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

My driving instructor was like that Gary, always grabbing the wheel (mind you, he was fearing for his life :lol: ).

I'm really chuffed with this video & without Paul making the minor errors he did & like Gary said he does as well at times i think it would have been boring to watch [:D].

edit:The 2nd instructor goes on about hand positions a lot at the start but it turns out to be quite a good watch so i will post it up

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

If you watch any of IanV's vids, he never takes his hands off the wheel except when changing gear either, it's the 'right' way of doing it.

I'm a bit of a shuffler tho, so is Lizard.. lol

9. seanlazyass Forum Member

I've had an instructor at Donny before and he was useless. Only gave me one real piece of advice. He basically just said I was driving well and that was it [:s]

The instructor in that video seemed very good, although I also wouldn't be keen on him grabbing the wheel.

Could you put the other video up too please Mike? Even just for reference and to compare.

Cheers.

10. fthaimike Forum Addict

Yeah i know Gary but it must be nice aswell to have those exotic tiny turn steering that some of the racers have [:D] .

How many turns lock to lock (ask tub :lol: ).

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

Will do mate if you really want to see it? though not today because all i can hear is Paul's bloody exhaust in my head after editing for a few hours today :lol: .

I take back what i said about the 2nd instructor vid with regards to going on about to the hands as it is quite a good video.

12. IanCarvell Forum Member

Do you remember what James' surname is? I dont think he is a regular Silverstone instructor....I dont recognise him anyway.

He is well spoken, but that looks difficult to take on board when you are driving at speed.

I am of the same opinion as you guys about grabing the steering wheel, it should only be done if the driver is going off, or if you want to demonstrate a line where the driver is doing it wrong lap after lap after lap....and then you should tell them that you are going to take the wheel to guide them through the corner.

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

No i don't sorry Ian.....i will check my vid again as i'm sure one of them said they were from Silverstone.

14. TrackCab16v Forum Member

cheers mike for your time and effort sorting the vids out, :clap: .fair play and respect to gary, ian and the rest of the track day warriors that post on hear, is how good they all are.its not as easy as it looks to get your lines spot on and on the day, all the instructers were available as part of the trackday , so i thought i would get as much advice as i could,[:D] , the real eye opener was to actually see them drive, and explain at the same time. he really did give my poor cab a hammering, so agresive on the brakes . that was the best trackday i have been on and i felt i could drive better at the end of it. hope it helps any one else that watch,s it .

15. TrackCab16v Forum Member

love my bike,s to [:D]. but not related as far as i know

16. AndrewF Forum Addict

I think i had that instructor years ago at sillystone....can't for the life of me remember his surname though.

The best bit fo this vid is that it clearly shows that having an instructor can improve your driving so quickly....watch the last lap then watch the first again, the improvement is very good.

17. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

sorry, had to stop watching that halfway through, the driver was annoying the hell out of my hugging the corners instead of listing to the instructor telling him to wind the lock off and use all of the track to get the power down better.

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just busy watching it. I think it's really good, and thanks to Paul for being happy to share :clap:

Instructor: "quite pokey this is, isn't it?"

Legendary Mr H. tuning! [:D]

Nice mention of the turnpoints (just mentioning to remind myself for future and for anyone quick reading)

- Copse turn halfway between 50 board and turn board
    - slip road turn point just before at Stowe
    - slip road turn point at sliproad at Bridge

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

2nd instructors vid is now up (also in 1st post):
    http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-2220041807549204876&hl=en-GB

edit:paul it's hard to break old habit's in such a short time (15-20mins) & would be easier without traffic on track with you but you could see improvements happening through this video.

This video & thread isn't about anyone's given ability on the day it's just a reference on what you go through when you get tuition at a track & how quick you can start to pick things up (by comparing the start & end like other's have mentioned).

:hug:

20. seanlazyass Forum Member

Thanx Mike!

2nd instructor doesn't seem as good but still interesting. Looks like you had a top day guys!

Paul- do you feel more confident now driving on track? When watching my track Vids afterwards I always spot things I did wrong or could have improved on. But at the time its never as easy.

Those Vids will be great help once I get my car sorted and have a go at Silverstone. Girlfriends parents live just around the corner so free accommodation [:D]

Sean

Ps. Have you got any vids of the instructors driving? Sorry to be so demanding Mike!