Silverstone instructor video with paul haslam's 16v

Discussion in 'The Video Forum' started by fthaimike, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Keith R Forum Member

Very very good videos there! I reckon this thread should be made into a sticky or summat.

Brings me back to my Silverstone course. I got on well with all the instructors, except for one who tore me to shredds! I'll never be comfortable with an instructor next to me again after that[xx(] .

Well done, Paul!:clap:

2. IanCarvell Forum Member

There are good instructors and bad instructors, sounds like you had a bad one there...

They should be able to get the point across without knocking your confidence.

seanlazyass, i think karting is excellent for learning race craft...I love going to my local indoor karting place, you are always learning something when you are on 4 wheels. Although when you get into cars you have a few more tools to use...because the car in front is more aware of where you are because of the mirrors....in karting you dont have this advantage.

3. luminosa Forum Member

F1 drivers have instructors becuase they're always trying to gain a few 1000th of a second as they race for big money and a racing seat in the fastest/most advanced motorsport. people like fisichella have instructors on the other hand because they're **** drivers:lol: :lol:

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

I'm deffo gonna have a go with an instructor when i am back on the road.

5. AndrewF Forum Addict

I know of an ex f1 racer, and very successful sportscar racer who readily admited to me that he still learns things

6. AndrewF Forum Addict

In the wet i assume? Interesting idea

Never known any car not go through on full throttle on dry

7. AndrewF Forum Addict

Care to mention a name?....i has a similar experience....thankfully another instructor rebuilt the confidence

8. Keith R Forum Member

The guy's name was Simon Mason http://www.simonmason.com/

I don't want to dis-credit the guy. He is well known for being an excellent instructor, but he's one of those types that won't stand for any pussy footing around. Personally, that approach doesn't work for me, but it does with others.

9. iguana Forum Member

Doh Ignore me I've always called Luffield that tight fecker of a horible corner with no run off- Woodcote for some odd reason.

But Woodcote is the corner with the most spanks on a damp trackday, very fast & absolutly no run off.

10. seanlazyass Forum Member

You don't seem to have acknowledged my point.

Everyone have a different way of approaching things. So you can learn something by watching others and listening to what more experienced people have to say. It doesn't necessarily mean they have more talent than you though. The talent is picking up on those things and being able to adapt them to your style.

When you raced karts, were you the quickest on every track straight away?

11. AndrewF Forum Addict

Ah....that makes more sense....i'm gonna remember that trick;)

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

bump.....cause i feel like (and newer people ain't seen it).

13. IanCarvell Forum Member

Blimey Keith, that does suprise me because Simon is one of the most patient and placid guys I know. He was my team mate in the Silverstone 24 hour race and is one of the best in the business. I guess you have to look at weather you are there for a confidence boost or to go quicker...Simon will make you go quicker if you listen to him, that is for sure...but did the guy who was telling you that you were doing everything ok?

I had never driven the GP circuit before the 24hr race and I dont mind admiting that I picked up a few tenths after looking at Simons data logger trace.

14. seb'16v'bonizzi

seb'16v'bonizzi Forum Member

they are awesome vids mate. thanks for the bump! Well tempted to get on a track now! lol. Just got my valver MOT'd today! yay!

15. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers. I hadn't seen this - and still have my "Ferrari Experience" to use at Silverstone too.

16. IanCarvell Forum Member

They have changed the 355's for 360's now which are very fast.

17. Keith R Forum Member

Look, I don't rate an instructor by how many times they tell me I'm doing everything ok. I'm all up for criticism otherwise how do you learn. I didn't spend the best part of 2500 only for some instructor to tell me I'm doing everything right, but I found Simon to be overly aggresive to the point I could not concentrate with him sitting there next to me. I took the whole course very seriously so it wasn't in any way provoked by a 'I know it all' attitude.

Maybe he's a lot harder with students on the Silverstone racing course, who knows. But perhaps the fact you seem to know him at a more personal level had something to do with how he is with you.

In my opinion, a good instructor should be able to make his/her pupil feel confortable and at ease behind the wheel. If you don't have that solid foundation to begin with, how can you be expected to learn effectively? As I said in my original post, different people respond to different stimulae, and perhaps a regimented approach works for a lot of people, but not me.

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  18. IanCarvell Forum Member

Ed Pead is the second instructor.....clio racer.

19. TrackCab16v Forum Member

its surprising how difficult it is to consantrate and drive fast when thers a instructor sitting beside you giving you ear ach , under insruction i thought i actually drove sh.. it , but once i came in ,had a coffee, then went back out , i could really feel the improvment , but on the day instructers were all free so i thought i would make the most of it , learned the most thought buy acually watching the intructer drive , silvorstone gp is a fair bit of a circuit to learn and get wright, but for 140 quid open pit lane and as much insruction as you could handle it was a top day, much respecto to all you race driver s, and for all of you that think you can drive better than schumacca , book up next year and have a go , just bear in mind ,if you come off once they MAKE you have instruction , and if you come off again and you don,t listen to them , they will end your track day ther and then . cheers for the POStOTIVE comments guys .... PAUL

20. TrackCab16v Forum Member

he was a nice guy actually , ian . both insructers were very help full , and trashed the s..hit out of my cab :lol: :lol: