Sorry MK2 guys, I just defected to the MK3 side!!!!

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Dennis10, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

[:D]

I've had an awesome day - have been searching for the right MK3 16v GTI for a little while, had my mk2 for 2 and a half years now, I love her, but shes so noisy, rattly and jolty on the old bones now, I do 350 miles per week and wanted something with a few more creature comforts (and an exhaust that wasnt at 150 decibels when you let rip) ;)

So today, I purchased a MK3 GTI 16v!!!! WoooOOO!!!

And she is bloody lovely, I have no pics just yet, will take some photos tomorrow (mods feel free to switch this to the members rides section if you feel its more appropriate :thumbup: )

Here is the advert for her...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/200940342956490/sort/priceasc/search-target/usedcars/make/volkswagen/model/golf/keywords/gti%2016v/postcode/hp190wa/adid/200940342956490/radius/100/page/2?previous=%2Fsearch%2Fresults%2Fusedcars%2Fpostcode%2Fhp190wa%2Fradius%2F100%2Fmake%2Fvolkswagen%2Fmodel%2Fgolf%2Fkeywords%2Fgti%252016v%2Fsort%2Fpriceasc%2Fadid%2F200940342956490%2Fpage%2F2&anchor=advert200940342956490&logcode=p#

She runs spot on, only 119k miles, full s/h, all mots, 12 months mot, 6 months tax, already with lowered/ stiffened suspension, but very tastefully, not silly buggers up in the arch jobby, stainless steel jetex exhaust! The body work I have to say, is fantastic, couple of small chips on the front grill and 2 tiny (almost impossible to see unless you hunt for them) spots of bubbling on the drivers side door!

So just filled up my first full tank, what sort of mileage do you MK3 chaps get to a tank?! :lol: ;)

Forgot to add, best of all she is in black and a 5 door! Exactly what I was looking for and only 20miles away!!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

look very nice indeed
    hope the mpg is better than my 4motion[xx(]

3. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Is that the V6?! I cant imagine it would be amazing mpg :lol:

What sort of mileage do you get to a tank with that?!

Next week will be my first real run out for her, so we shall see how she compares to my mk2 1.6, which typically did 350-400 per tank!

4. cuppatea

cuppatea Forum Member

shiny

nice work dennis! i have very similar if not the same rims - BBS RZ i think?? from corrado G60. i never was a huge fan of 5dr golfs but it looks great and i love them in black.

:thumbup:

5. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

ye that's the v6 getting about 240 to 260 so far about 20 mpg i have had 28-32 on a long run
    what does not help is the road i drive to work it's a nice twisty contry road and a heavy right foot
    the 16v would get 280-310 on the same run

what are the plan's for the mk2 nice 16v or 2.0 8v

6. azur Forum Member

thats really nice buddy.... best colour and the right number of doors... really hard to come by. VR6 alloys too

You should easily get 35-40 mpg. I get 33 mpg even with cams and knocking out 180 bhp.

As long as you change the oil and filter regularly and let her warm upto 60+ degrees before booting it she will serve you well. its quite easy to get attached to them.:thumbup:

7. cockney chris

cockney chris Forum Member

Wellcome to the fold Dennis its a good choice although too many doors for me. 35 mpg regular. mines in brilliant black and has to be kept clean otherwise it looks like an old banger but chuck a bucket of water over it and you can feel proud.

8. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

You'll be back. That ABF will end up in a Mk2 eventually.

9. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Sorry, the Autotrader link is dead now... pics soon, if the weather holds out until the weekend!

Yeh my mk2 is in black and sparkled when washed and waxed, but leave it a week or 2 and it looks really tired!

Yeh I'm absolutely addicted already, cant get enough of the growl when it hits 3-4k rpm, sorry Shaz, cant see me going back to a MK2 now Ive got some mod cons and some comfort, less rattles and the MK3 feels really planted to the road compared to the MK2 (although the mk2 does feel a bit more nimble!) Mk3 has wider track doesnt it?

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

mine still makes me grin like a loon after 3 years. its bullet proof. really frugal, not far from the same mpg as my GF's 1.4 fiesta

full of win tbh

11. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

12. pRot3us Forum Junkie

I also own a Mk3

FML

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

looks nice. You sold your mk2 yet? I went from my 1.6 mk2 driver to a mk3 abf. Its a cracking engine and is pretty robust. Just don't overfill with oil!!!!! cost me loads of money lol

14. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

you'll be back!!!

15. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Not sold my mk2 yet, tbh I really wish I could keep it, she is in superb nick and Ive spent so much bl**dy money on it and time getting things running spot on and with the borbets, lowered etc I still look at her now and gawp... but need the cash, probably knock up an advert this weekend.. and have a little cry when she goes [:^(]

But having said that, the step up to the mk3 ABF was astonishing, I honestly thought my driver was a nippy little car, not much top end, but great for A/B road driving, good economy and reliable, but the ABF is a rocket ship... I can see why Rubjonny wants me to put it into a MK2 :p :lol: The mk2 is noticably more nimble, but I love the comfort of the mk3, perhaps cos Im nearing 30 now (2 years to go! arghh) , so cant see me going back to a mk2, certainly not as a daily anyway!

How did you manage to overfil with oil?! How much may I ask!? :lol:

16. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

How is anything faster than your driver with GTi cam?

17. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

That is EXACTLY what I asked myself over and over when I was driving it... 'just how is this possible' - defies the laws of 8v torque and power that we all adhere to on this forum!

I think I might glue my driver badges to the valver for some extra oomph!! :lol:

18. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Was looking through the large amount of service history and receipts the other day, my car was sold for 15k 2 years after it was made..im assuming it wasnt the 1st owner.. :o

Christ, how much were these things brand new?! Thats mega bucks! And I got it in great condition for 1500!!

19. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

for a mk3 16v 5 door with a couple of extra's 18k easy

20. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Here's what you want;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just totted up my MK3; 19135.89 OTR - Dafty should have went the extra mile & bought a Highline :lol:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009