Sorry MK2 guys, I just defected to the MK3 side!!!!

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Dennis10, Oct 10, 2009.

1. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

some mugs paid more for an 8v colour concept than a 16v!!!! seriously worrying priorities there!!!

2. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

^^ Well you do get ALL that 8V torque and a set of ghastly* Recaros too...

*Black excepted.

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

the black is pointless though as you could have (should have!!) specced a 16v with black leather

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Jesus! Specced-up VR Highline was the thick end of 25k... :o

That was 13 years ago, and people baulk at the new GTI costing not that much more today...

Just shows how much we used to get stiffed on new car prices.

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^ very true

6. k plate Forum Member

WTF! my car was 12500? I paid 100 for it. sweeeeeeeeet

7. proc1974 New Member

hey guys. having had all golf gti's (1,2,etc) i cant tell you how much fun my mk3 is! unfortunately my wife likes it that much i never get to drive it! got it for 450 off ebay, fully expecting to spend on it. mot said one tyre and a couple of bulbs.....tastefully lowered, black, 5 doors(perfect with two kids), and just fun! i was looking for another mk2 but this came up and i am so pleased with it, it looks really mean in black. i am going to put some black alloys on i think, it already has later headlights, no silly big exhaust. it almost has better handling than my mk 1 had! anway glad to see all you mk 3 fans....

8. ericgtisuff Forum Member

I also own a Mk3,best Golf ever made,it will be a classic one day,drove a Mk2 once and was not impressed at all.

9. tomsdubs Forum Member

Modded highline owner here, i literally robbed the previous owner for mine. Great cars. People don't like mk3's but love mk4's, the mk4 is the least sporty golf released for me. If it wasn't for the R32 they'd be far and away the worst imo.

Modern comforts and good performance, the mk3 is vastly underrated.

10. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Id have to concur with this. :thumbup:

Mk4s really are like huge barges, massive cars for what they are and look heavy as well as being heavy.

I wasnt hugely fond of the look of the mk3 when I had a mk2, but it has grown on me in a big way - if it is tastefully modded, such as mine, lowered, nice exhaust, decent alloys, they can look very smart indeed!

Performance wise, I couldnt ask for much more, it has a bit of everything, good low down torque, decent top end and high speed and pulls hard in every gear, they also arent as heavy as alot of people try to make out, around 1150kg for a gti, really isnt that much in comparison, the 306 pug is about 1220kg - so i dont believe all that crap. I also get 340 miles per tank of petrol, for a 2.0 16v gti thats pretty damn good! :)

Yes in comparison to a mk2 it is heavier, but then its a much more refined drive too, and im speaking from experience!

Fully recommend the mk3 16v gti!

11. proc1974 New Member

i agree. the mk 2 was fun when i was 18, the mk3 is definately more understated in a good way. i had a mk 4 gti turbo as a company car and it may of had a very nice interior but i can tell you it drove like a bag of spanners. waiting till the company will let me have the new r32!! two hopes..... my mk 3 passes the test that the wife likes it and drives it more than me, i can spend a bit of money here and there to finish it off, and it really will become a classic, its 15 years old already!

12. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

I just got a 16v for the mrs, and can honestly say we both love it, its completely standard, and soooooo much quicker than my old 8v (Not as quick as the BMW though;) )

All these MK3 haters must have only driven the 8V which is painfully slow for a GTi, but the ABF engine to me is a work of art, if it had a couple more cylinders it would rival the M20B25:p

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

the abf engine does make the whole car, I have been in quite a few 2.0 16v cars and there has only been a couple that I have though were as good or better.

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my one sort of has it all. i get out my S4 and into the golf and i appreciate what ive been missing. with the suspension sorted its a proper giggle to chuck about. the engine loves to be revved, the power delivery is fantastic, it just pulls harder the further you get up the rev range

it doesnt sound bad at all for a 4cyl and i swear, the car eggs you on to be a hooligan. my gf drives the golf regularly and it even makes her hoon like a good un

its absolutely bullet proof, im taking the S4 up north over xmas but im gonna have the car on vagcom to check its all ok... the golf, i dont even have to think about it, i just get in and drive. it will take you anywhere, regardless, 110% reliable.