Split: how they got > 200bhp + on a single plenum 16v

Discussion in '16-valve' started by A.N. Other, Apr 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The injection looks purely mechanical so K JET.

2. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

There's a Black MK1 knocks about at Santa Pod with a white tailgate that is running one.

12.88sec 1/4 he runs :thumbup:

did a 13.10 1/4 at inters

havn't met the guy or seen under the bonnet but had a look through the grill and it had the inlet plenum.

would love to know the full spec. :thumbup:

3. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I have met that Guy Brookie. He said it was a fully built engine from Race Power Motorsport (Near Dartford) with high compression, cams, flowed head and plenum running on mapped management (DTA I think). He didn't know the exact detail of what was carried out.

Gurds

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Sounds like an interesting motor - I recall it mentioned in a thread the other day. Missed it at Inters (how?).

Road car or track slaaaaag? Would somebody like to get on his case? :lol:

5. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Stripped out to feck all. But seems to be 1/4m only but road legal as he drove home. Not a circuit racer.

Gurds

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Are these pistons avail on the shelf? I'm guessing USA & 4-500 maybe?

7. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

And I am thinking ABF rods are probably strong enough but will need to do some more research 1st.

Gurds

8. Brookster

i've been trying to info on the MK1 for ages , would be good if somone knows him or can get the info.

Yes its stripped out as Gurd's said road legal on 15" 888's

http://www.racepowermotorsport.com/

shall i phone them and ask for spec as i want an engine building after i saw the car run :lol:

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

He can't be far away if he was at Inters. Young, or too old for t'internet? Or is he hanging around on a slower forum :lol:

10. Brookster

Just e-mail them with a sales enquiry :thumbup:

11. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Fairly young, Mid-late 30's? He mentioned 210-215bhp? But that is on the engine builders rollers.

Not on the net much either. Friendly chap. He is regular at the Pod and Inters. Someone pull the results from the Inters results sheets and his name should be there...

Gurds

12. Brookster

i was told it was 228bhp and the times he was running were similar to Bargates who is running similar times 12.5 - 12.9 :thumbup:

13. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Mmmmm, maybe it was 228bhp? I'm not sure but it was high.

Gurds

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

15. Brookster

That's him

Winner: Ian Wingate, Mk 1 GTI 2.0 16V Reg. HJX 240W 13.333

with a time like that it must be pushing very very good power. and there's now bullsh*t with a 12.88 1/4

somebody get the engine spec!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  16. Ess Three Forum Member

Gurds,

I was speaking to Cassidy @ Integtated Engineering at the weekend, on this very subject.
    He pretty much talked me out of aftermarket rods for a NA ABF, suggesting standard rods are strong enough for the revs I'm looking at (7500ish...still on a hydraulic lifter head) and lighter than their forged variants...and perfectly acceptable for 11.1:1 high comp pistons on an ABF on pump fuel.

It'd be wise to polish out the casting marks on the rods...but other than that, I'm happy they are strong enough for the service I'll be giving them.

17. Brookster

ABF Standard Rod
    [​IMG]

H - Beam Rod (Unkown manufacturer 1/4 ARP Studs)
    [​IMG]

Integrated Engineering H-Beam Rod (3/8 ARP Studs) The best H - Beam i think.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  18. danster Forum Addict

I think if you were going to stay at 11:1 on std pistons then the oem rod would suffice.
    If you were going to a higher comp ratio than that with pukka pistons then rods would be a nice security to have in the engine. Pretty much like Brooky has done. :thumbup:

I would be gutted to wreck a set of pistons and engine because of a rod failing. Even if you caught it before really bad damage occurred, you are still going to have to rebuild the engine. For a few hundred quid invested at the initial build this is a nice safety net to have.

If just skimming std bits to raise the comp ratio then there is no huge money to lose, and std stuff may well be fine.

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

That's the plan for the next engine in the track rocco. ABF Bottom end, stock pistons, 11.x:1 CR, Ported head, cams, Megasquirt. I'm not sure whether I'm going to use the Blydenstein head and Schrick 260s that came off Dex's old engine, or use the shed head and some 280ish cat cams. TB and sensors will be ABF, fuel rail and injectors may be changed according to required flow rates.

I might use both head/cam setups in turn, just to see how they go. I'd expect 190-200bhp from the Blydenstein / Schrick combo, once Herr Doktor Toyotek has given it the final tune.

The plan for this is a year in the distance though... there's a 29 second target at Curby to hit first, still with the current paucity of valves.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Right, a fortuitous update on this. By chance I was put in touch with the guy that built the engine, spoke to him yesterday, and this car is scheduled for an appearance at Toyotec's London Rolling Road Day, Oct 24 [:*:]

This should put the cat amongst the pigeons quite nicely and set us up for a very interesting day :thumbup: Obviously now this has surfaced, if there are any other 16v owners out there, it'd be great to squeeze them on the rollers at the same time for comparabilty and the data we have - please make yourselves known on the RR thread here. Real shame Brooky can't make it :(