Target 180-200bhp

Discussion in '16-valve' started by AlexF2003, Aug 21, 2008.

1. NormanCoal Forum Member

lmao, there's never going to be any 'winning' on this thread [:D]

Being especially blunt, if I was in the OP's shoes, I'd go and trawl the for sale adverts, find myself both a 2L 16v converted MK2 Golf, and also a VR'd Golf see which I liked best, then purchase it - there is a lot of grief associated with d!cking around with cars, let someone else take the pain and cost of doing the work, and pick up a comparitive bargain (Y) (if it was me, I'd skip finding the adverts that detailed a 2L 16v engine one, and go straight to the VR'd versions.......)

2. Dubnutter Forum Member

..... or on the flip side, if your like me or certain other nut'cases on here that just cant leave an engine alone, and are always seeing "what does that do", and "if i do that will it go quicker or bang?" then a 16vt conversion is great, very rewarding and you can learn so much.

Nitrous and turbo on a mini moto.........? yes, it does work!

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

VW 16v 1781cc / 139bhp = 12.81 cc per horse
    Rotax FR Max 125cc / 28bhp = 4.46 cc per horse

So im going to fit 7 Rotax 125cc engine to give me 196 bhp, wonder what it will go like.

4. Dubnutter Forum Member

5. AMY

Amy Forum Member

OK, enough, as Gary has said everyone is going round in circles posting the same stuff again and again.

Everyone has there own thing about engines personally I am a VR6 person [:$] its the sex noise thing! My hubby however is a 2l turbo fan!

Please lets keep the thread on track without running over the same stuff again and again or I shall through my toys out and lock the thread. :clap:

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my abf is getting cammed and having the head flowed. subtle work, but i want a genuine 170bhp with other small tweaks. ill keep an eye on this thread to see if there is a valver shoot out one day

7. Dubnutter Forum Member

one runway stretch 2 miles long.......... a bunch of home built mad machines..........a stopwatch and a barrel of fosters........bring it on............................

oh yeah and bacon rolls.....................naturaly

8. prof Forum Addict

this still going on? bwahahahahah

2k on a 16v engine, for 180bhp just buy a disposable fiat coupe 20vt for 1500 for THE WHOLE CAR, have an LSD 4 pots wide track and 220bhp.

9. Dubnutter Forum Member

its a labour of love, sometimes you cant put a price on insanity or obsession

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

wow, thats cheap (for a reason) :p

11. paul_c Forum Member

12. Dubnutter Forum Member

My build has cost 980 so far, this is everything from the engine, to the turbo and megasquirt, and includes worked on crank, rods and new pistons, its good to be in the trade ;)

Ok i have put in alot of man hours, but i dont price my own time for me........maybe i should, id be alot richer

13. Dubnutter Forum Member

fiat....pfft Fix It Again Tommorow.

14. Dubnutter Forum Member

;) Dont get me wrong, this argument is all in good humour, no need to wind the thread down

15. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Wouldn't it be quite useful to discuss what would need to be done to an engine to get 180-200hp and the relative costs involved ?

Perhaps the obvious candidates are 2L 8V, 2L 16v, VR6 12 and 24V and maybe a 1.8T......any others that would be realistic options ?

what mods are needed, plus's and minuses of that particular choice
    starting from a defined donor car.....this can be a 1.8 8V or whatever we agree on

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Deffo keen to fix the links though - the thread titles need putting into searches to find them, but I don't recall what the titles are.

If you're happy to do a few quick searches on threads remembered, & post the URLs on the 2 litre 16v thread, I'll sort the rest :thumbup:

17. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

people dont always choose a car with a final engine in mind. but i agree a line in the sand is needed.

a 90 spec 8v is a better car for converting due to the newer wiring system.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  18. Dubnutter Forum Member

Ah well, at the end of the day, personaly, mines a daily driver and a track toy, so fun but reliable is the key :)

19. AlexF2003 Forum Member

You guys are a funny (humorous) bunch!

I deliberately choose the wording of my 1st post to create as much discussion as possible.

I also gave little away of my desired direct or ability - not quite a newbie to cars - built my 1st 1.9 8v engine when C&R was about the only place to get the pistons from. Now days I teach people how to fix cars and run my own modding/mapping business.

But its been fun and interesting (please don't lock!!!!)

I must admit I was dead against a VR6 lump and tonight with a bit of luck I will get a drive in one to see if my opinions are right or wrong. I'm looking forward to it.

Alex

20. Dubnutter Forum Member

oh..... well im not a mechanic, i just seem to be make engine do what i want lol........

Il end the debate, .....mk2 golf.......2 jet engines and a little parachute......... winner