Tell Me About G60 Flywheels for 1.8T

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by harry_the_cake, Jan 24, 2006.

1. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Recently upped the power in my A3 and now the clutch has started slipping [:^(]

I need to swap it out, but I'm going to junk the OEM dual mass setup in favour of a G60 flywheel and VR6 clutch kit.

So does anyone know where I can buy a lightened G60 flywheel? The yanks run these but I can't seem to find a supplier over here.

Also whats the difference between the early and late 16v/g60 flywheels? ETKA has the early one at about 150 and the later one at 90ish. Is one lighter than the other?

Thanking you most kindly

2. prof Forum Addict

ABF one might be easier to find

designadubs will probably have one, [i've got on somewhere]

3. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Hotgolf may be able to help you , i just popped one of these in my AEB, the VR6 clutch is cheaper than a 16v clutch at G&S which is strange. They look identical but i guess the springs are stronger in the VR6 item

Edited by: dUff

4. Caged New Member

Will be interested in info on this too... my clutch is likely to need doing soon, always worth upgrading...

I think Bill has run this type of setup in the Beeza albeit with a tracing paper thick flywheel :lol:

5. dan-ish

dan-ish Forum Member

Sachs now do a 4 pice clutch kit for the g60
    you get : Flywheel and bolts
    Clutch pressure plate and bolts
    Spinner plate
    Release bearing
    I think there about 180ish any sachs dealer should be able to them.

6. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Cheers for the info. Duff, is yours a lightened item? I've been reading that people lighten the G60 flywheel to about 14lb (6 1/2kg) for them to work well.

Apparently in stock form they are a similar weight to the dual mass but the weight on the G60 item is around the edge whereas the weight on the MK4 item is in the middle. So when spinning the G60 weighs alot more. Hope that makes sense. :)

If people are running standard flywheels okay, then that would make things much easier.

If Hotgolf doesn't post I'll PM him.
    Edited by: harry_the_cake

7. dan-ish

dan-ish Forum Member

I had the rear sholder completly removed I never weighed it but it felt nearly half the weight.

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Weight-wise, I can also vouch for getting down to 5.5 to 6kgs.

Whereabouts are you? - I can get you one.
    Edited by: Chris Eyre

9. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

May be a silly suggestion but could you not also use one out of a Passat? I bought a Passat one off Andy947 (I can't remember the size but it's the same as the G60 one), had it lightened by the engine workshop, and fitted it with a VR6 clutch.

10. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

mines an ABF one machined as a disk, lighter...
    there is a side effect you need to know.
    input shaft to the g'box can rattle afterwards. Just noise, nothing untoward.. but be prepared.

I now run SPEC Stage 3+ clutch having run Helix for many years now... wanted something which lasted longer.. Helix did'nt last long enough to my mind. Only time will tell if the Spec one is any better.

11. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Okay doke. Loads to think about. Sounds like the G60 units get really machined down then!

Trev, hadn't thought about a passat item. If its the same, then it'll deffo help with the options. Has to be new though or machined to as good as new. I always fit new stuff for clutches.

Chris, I'm located near Brighton. What sort of price are you thinking?

Bill, I'm running 230bhp/240lbs torque so I think I'll be okay with the OEM VR6 Clutch kit...yes?
    I've heard about the rattle from a few vortexers. I'm happy to put up with a little noise at idle as long as nothing is going to fall off. :lol:

12. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Aye it's the same apparently. Well in terms of size it is anyway. 280mm, is that correct...? It fitted a GSF VR6 clutch just fine.

[​IMG]

I had it lightened and then the whole lot balanced. That's the only pic I have - pretty naff really. I gave it to the machine shop to lighten and then they balanced the whole lot - crank etc. No idea how much was taken off it. Looked good though :lol:

Andy947 took it out of a Passat. I think that it needs to come out of a 16V Passat. In 8V Passats, it's a smaller flywheel. I took one out of an 8V Passat at the scrapyard myself and found it was a 210mm, if I remember right.
    Edited by: Trev16v

13. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

A good modification as the standard flywheel is real heavy with that massive counter weight on it.
    There shouldn't really be any side effect with rattling inputshafts, sounds more like a knackered needle bearing in the box rather than a problem caused by the flywheel.
    I can get these down quite light, eering on the safe side though. I have seen them as light as an alloy flywheel but I wouldn't put my name to one if someone asked me to do it. Failure on one of these isn't a pretty sight!!!

14. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

should be fine yea. MrsB 1.8t lupo runs G60 sachs power clutch with 220bhp/250lbft

15. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Good stuff. Chris/Hotgolf, you have PMs.

16. prof Forum Addict

the rattle is apparently why they introduced the dual mass nightmare

17. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Well odd. Anyone know why it would rattle as it's still clamping the disk with the same force and nothings altered from the face of the flywheel back towards the box?

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Indeed - I'm baffled too.

19. prof Forum Addict

different vibration periods, resonant frequency type poo

different flywheel weights/rotational inertia will change how your engine vibrates, engine designers try to keep any potentially harmful vibes out of the normal rev range. mucking about with pulleys
    and flywheels can move these back into the normal use range.

Minis with a stock flywheel have a self destruct mode at 4000 revs, according to vizard

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I guess the question then would be how can a G60 use a flyheel that the 1.8T can't (and hence used a dual mass).

Are the pulley vibration dampers different in construction etc?