The 2.0 16v ABF into Mk2 8v thread

Discussion in '16-valve' started by 1990, Apr 14, 2004.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I have the car (a 1992 8v) exactly how i want it to look now and I'm ready for my 2.0 16v conv. but need loads of info. before i begin.

My plan for the moment is to use the abf complete engine/running gear from a seat but i'm not 100% sure yet.

If i went to the breakers for an engine only (from a mk3 16v) what would i need to get with it (engine, box, loom, ecu, subframe, clocks, driveshafts, hubs?????)

What parts of my mk2 would i keep (wishbones, driveshafts????????) and what parts would i use off the mk3?

Ant web link to sites with details of the swap? Any tips?

Cheers

2. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

It all depends on if you want to go 4stud or 5 stud, wide track or not.

see any threads regarding VR6 into mk2's, it's practically the same conversion albeit with a different lump.

3. 1990

I'm planning on staying 4 stud this time so i guess i'll need some 280 G60 brakes mounted on my old 16v hubs that i still have.

4. NormanCoal Forum Member

ok, if staying 4 stud then its a bit easier in terms of what you need

Engine, box (are you staying with the rod box or going for cable? - this would mean a passat/corrado pedal box and the shifter, etc), loom, ecu (keys if its a 96 or later donor) and clocks

If its an early one, the front brakes will be the same as a G60, so take those

Also there is the subframe to consider. If you want to change to a mk3 item and lower the engine a bit, then change it. If not, then you wont have any problems with the bonnet hitting anything as the MK3 inlet and TB is different. Oh, the other thing is that the inlet needs to be a 95/96 or later because they changed and the early ones dont fit (as I found out).

cant think of anything else, but ask away if there is anything

5. damogti Forum Junkie

Chris,

Is a Mk2 8v GTI subframe ok to use or will it need modding??

Is the inlet required regardless of the year of the engine?? (i.e. pre 95..... [:s] )

cheers :)

6. Joe_G Forum Member

To double check, if you use a Mk3 subframe then you can use any ABF and still have no problems with clearance?

Joe

7. NormanCoal Forum Member

the MK2 standard subframe is fine to use - I used it in mine. The only real reason for a MK3 subframe with the ABF is when its on K-jet. The MK2 inlet has the throttle cable mounted on the top of the TB and its this that fouls the bonnet strengtheners. (having said that, plenty of peeps dont use a MK3 subby on an ABF on k-jet - Barny and tubthumped are two

When putting an ABF into a MK2 with MK3 inlet and loom the throttle cable is mounted on the back of the TB so it doesnt foul at all.

The reason for using a later mk3 inlet is the angle of the TB. The later ones had a more acute angle which means it wont hit the brake fluid resevoir. They changed it when the ABF went into the Ibiza (as its essentially a MK2 golf at the front) and redesigned the inlet which was used in the golf MK3 and ibiza from then on (about 95/96

the below is what you dont want
    [​IMG]

a poor pic of what is needed but.....
    [​IMG]

this is what you're aiming for Ian
    [​IMG]

8. NormanCoal Forum Member

oh, and when you buy the engine, make sure you have the manifold if you are doing a k-jet 1.9 to 2l conversion. The 8v to ABF have a couple of options on top of the above - use an 8v downpipe and make a boss to screw the lambda probe into, or use the ABF downpipe and cat (or cat replacement pipe)

I used the 8v downpipe option

9. damogti Forum Junkie

Great, thanks for the info Chris.

what to you mean by "boss" to fit the lambda?? is it not possible to just drill a hole in the down pipe and fit it in to that??

10. 1990

An 1/2" threaded tapping

11. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Don't get the cable change box .... stay rod.

12. 1990

Whos Rod? :lol:

Can i mount 280's on my 8v hubs ar shall i swap them for my 16v hubs left over from my previous mk2?

Can i use the 8v box untill i get a mk2 16v box? Whats wrong with cable change boxes?

13. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

You need the 16v hubs Ian, and possibly different bottom ball joints, some 8v ones don't fit the 16v hubs

Split opinions on cable change vs rod 'boxes, personally I can't stand the notchiness of the cable change (even in Claire's R32) and it means converting to hydraulic clucth if you don't use a Seat clutch mechanism which uses a clutch cable on a cable change 'box.

Up to you at the end of the day ;)

14. cordobabrendy Forum Member

Tb's and you wouldnt have to worry about anything fouling... you know you want to!!
    Edited by: cordobabrendy

15. 1990

Needs to be done on a tight budget, so i'll stick to just one tb :lol:

Which ever subframe i use is going to be blasted and coated before it goes on and i'm going to have the bay de sealered and painted, looks like i'll use a mk3 subframe with mk2 16v hubs, g60 disks and calipers and a seat engine. Time to scan some classifieds.

16. NormanCoal Forum Member

If you are a late 8v, there is very little difference in the ratios to a 2Y 16v box. The only difference is the input shaft and the size of the clutch

Cable box's are disliked because of their vaugeness, but its all about personal preference with them really

17. 1990

I didn't mind the cable change on the mk2 vr (until it snapped when someone was test driving it :lol: )

I'll stick with the 8v box and see how i get on with it.

18. cforehead Forum Member

Good stuff chaps. Whats a reasonable price for a
    low mileage ABF without a box?

19. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

the 8v rod box..........I'll give it a week before it blows up.....

20. damogti Forum Junkie

Are 16v rod boxes better than 8v ones??