The best polish!!!

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by andy216, Jul 7, 2009.

1. andy216 Forum Member

Hi guys, I have seen all the posts on polish, and I'm looking at getting that 3 step Meguiars gear!!!

What are you thoughts on this polish?? my car is pearl grey.

Cheers

2. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

I'd do these 3 steps lol

wash & chamois your car
    meguires polish (reddy brown bottle)
    meguires wax (same colour bottle)

unless your paint really needs tlc i wouldn't bother using a harsh polish or cut prior

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

meguires 3 step was utter shiiiiiiiiite when i used it once on sheryl's car. went on easily enough but wouldnt come off without leaving smears n things

like ben said, its all down to what you need to do to your paint

if you just want to clean and wax it, just get some autoglym super resin polish, its a fantastic product in every way. finish that off with some turtle wax extra gloss protection, just makes it shine more and protects for a long long time (makes the water bead for months)

4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

you could try some meguires clay too magical stuff. Still dont know how it works but it does

5. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

I'll second Matts comments - Megs is utter ****e! Wash, clay, then AG SRP (a pretty good aggressive polish and has decent fillers). Finish it off with AG High Deff Wax which lasts for a good few months! Job done. :thumbup:

6. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Autoglym all the way for me...

Wash, then polish with Aquawax (apply when the car is still wet, saves chamoising it off first), then HD Wax.

7. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

well I don't agree with the megs is ****e comment.. it turned my red golfs paint from red chalk-esque to deep shine

but I will be trying this wet polish as Stu suggests

*added* its a bit misleading of them calling a polish aquawax .. is it a polish or a wax?

8. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

i went claybar, autoglym high res poilish then zymol wax, and repeat the waxing as often as you can be bothered in a short space of time, I used a cheap electric buffer and it worked wonders.

9. AndrewF Forum Addict

I use meguiars gold class stuff and find it excellant

10. andy216 Forum Member

Guys, thanks for all your responses. Think I'm gona have a butchers down hallfords and get some Aquawax then HD Wax.

Andy

11. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Yep, Meguiars 3 Step polish is the best.

Ive used them all -

Mer polish
    Autoglym
    ect...

and nothing compares to the Meguiars gear :thumbup:

12. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

im an Autoglym fan, i think i have the entire range

13. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I have a cupboard full of Meg's stuff: 3 stage cut, polish, wax, some tech wax, etc - mostly half full bottles where I'm not 100% convinced by the results and buy something else. I found the same as Matt, with the smear marks on some meg's polishes, which is mega noticeable on my black car. All I use now is Auto-glym Super Resin, then meg's Gold Class wax, followed by a douse of the ol' Linseed oil on the plastics = perfect, long-lasting results every time.

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i was using the megs bits on a black car too. seemed you had to put 2 or 3 times the effort in just to get the finish consistent and smear free. with the autoglym, simoniz and turtlewax combo i use, everything comes off cleanly without much effort, or chalk actually.

15. gtijon Forum Member

I just completely did my mum's Harlequin. Went from being pastel colours back to proper bright primaries again.

Polishes:

For knackered, completely matte, dead paint, you want G3.

For paint that's a bit swirly, you want G10.

For 2 pack that's set rock hard and is impossible to polish, you want G6.

For all of the above, a 15 sander and a foam mop is a good idea. I tend to use one for all the compounds apart from G10 and wash it out between uses. I hope the detailing mob don't come around my house and kick my door in for that. For G10, I use a softer mop.

TBH with a polish, you just want one that works for you. I've never been able to get good results with Autoglym on dark cars, not tried any meg's stuff. The key thing with the Farecla stuff listed above is that the abrasive breaks down into smaller bits as it heats up, so you polish out your own polishing marks. You can use G3 to polish out scratches and then work up to a full shine needing no further effort. Whereas most polish companies want you to buy 5 different polishes for 5 different jobs...

Wax:

Collinite 476 lasts longer than anything I've ever used. Like a lot of people, I've a lot of half used stuff that was rubbish.

Clay:

I use it. I don't think it much matters which one you use.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  16. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Yeah that was a bit harsh and what I should have said was:
    The cleaner and the polish is not bad by any stretch but the wax is awful in yerms of longevity - Repeated applications and by the time a month has passed it's almost gone from the paintwork.

Autoglym HD was on the other hand.... 2 months after a claying and partial machine paint correction then a dose of HD wax and it's still going strong. Much better than the Megs wax by miles. :thumbup:

17. Azorenblau Forum Member

Meguirs is OK

Had only good experiences with Meg: Claying has a fantastic effect to get all that tree sap, tar spots off.
    I personally like their paint cleaner. Easy to apply and easy to polish. Quick job and leaves a good clean surface.

The Meg wax is wonderful. Lovely sheen and the smell... gorgeous!
    I could go on...:lol:

18. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

i just got some autoglym hd from a friend who ordered a batch direct from autoglym so i got a hd kit for 20 and its gleeming!! best polish/wax i ever used; so simple to put on and effortless to take off, no smeering or chalk!

19. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Another vote for AutoGlym Aquawax, really easy to use, good shine & lasts well.

20. mk28vICED Forum Member

funkbaron is bang on the money...
    autoglym super resin polish followed by meg gold class wax IMO gives very good results