The best VW, ever made.

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Phil, Oct 26, 2003.

?

In your opinion, which was the best car VW made?

1. Beetle - First One

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mk1 Golf GTI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mk2 Golf GTI (8/16V/Rallye/G60)

100.0%
  4. Mk3 Golf VR6 - had to put this in [;)]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Mk4 R32

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Corrado VR6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Phil

Phil Forum Member

Following on from a thread by a scooby owner, I thought I'd post this, so you can make your own choice.
    Sorry its a bit limited with the choices, but thats just the forum software. You can always specify which variation of the model you voted for. :)

I voted for Mk2 Golf 16V - This was what got me into VW's. :)

2. HiAsAKite Forum Member

Mk2 GTi is a fantastic car... but I feel that the Corrado VR6 has the edge I'm afraid.

3. Admin Guest

yep mk2golf gti

4. nic_ape Forum Member

mk2 golf all the way, all the rawness of the mk1 with a lot more of the space and general practicality.

I gotta be honest im not a fan of the corrado, but then thats only because in my area all theres a couple of knobs who drive Corrados who don't get the idea of owning such a car, im sure its a good car tho.

5. scottmk1 Forum Member

mk1 for me :p

6. diggerbucket Forum Member

corrado vr6. if there was a vr6 mk2 golf i'd vote for that

7. Liam Forum Member

nice to see mk2 golf winning, doesnt surprise me though [:D]

8. Tommy Forum Member

mk1 all the way!

9. madmonkey Forum Addict

Where are the Ventos? [:x]

10. Dave J Forum Member

The poll is for the BEST Vw ever made! :p

I voted for the Beetle as without that, none of us would be driving dubs today. It is by the far the best VW. I think the best Water cooled VW is the MK1 Golf GTi as it was the first "hot hatch".
    Still think my Jetta is the best though...

11. Phil

Phil Forum Member

[:@)]

12. drew Forum Member

Predictably I would go for the Mk1 Golf. It has to be the one for many reasons.

1. It saved VW from going bust.
    2. It invented a whole market sector nobody knew was there.
    3. It was never outclassed in its production lifetime.

No other VW has managed all of these things. Everything that followed, even the mighty Corrado and R32, are derivative and could only happen due to the original success of the Mk1 Golf.

Cheers,

Drew.

13. Jeff Forum Junkie

Corrado VR6. [flame suit on]regardless of heritage, all golfs look like hatchbacks, because they are. I know the Corrado is actually a hatchback too, but its got that class that the golfs dont have, due to being based on "shopping" cars.[flame suit off]

and that VR6 engine note is almost as good as sex!

14. b'locks Forum Addict

the thread is biased. where are the mk3 8v and 16v's and the rest of the mk4's, 1.8T etc?? the mk2's whole range is listed and seeing as they are generally the most affordable and therefore the most widely owned, of course they will get most votes, as the majority of people will vote for whatever car they own (hence the reason they own it).

15. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

I've sorta changed my mind from the last thread, and gone for the Mk2, but only becasue I saw the word "Rallye" in there [:D]

Mind you, the car released by VW to us general public was stupidly under powered compared to the 300BHp Factory rallye cars, but you can't have everything.

I didn't use to like teh Rallye styling one bit, but since I've had mine I can't get enough of its wide look. Plus they have that "WTF!?!?!" factor for everyone not in the know and that "Wow, a Golf Rallye" factor for those that are in the know. They'll turn heads everytime. (Couple that with the noise of a VR6 engine, like wot I have done, and I don't think your'll find a finer car, ever. IMHO of course)

Also, with the mk2 golf, you cannot forget the ultra exclusive, 16v G60 powered Golf Limited. [8D]

16. S1MMA Forum Member

Rallye VR6, I know you love your car to bits mate, and it's a cool car, but:

There is no other car on the planet which is better, in your opinion? Really???

17. BagPuss

BagPuss Forum Member

Phil, I think the Poll is unfair.

There's no button for Mk.II Scirocco's????????? [:x]

It would be nice to see all the VW's listed, not just a Beetle, Golfs and a Corrado????

A bit unfair mate.

Fancy starting the Poll again and listing everyone.
    Polo's, Jetta's, Vento's, Bora's, Passat's, etc.

That would then give us an idea of what members have on the forum, therefore being a fair Poll?

18. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Well, seeing as this poll is about VW's then I was pretty much just talking about within the VW Family. It was also said , fairly tongue in cheek, hense the reason I put it in the smallest text!!

But other than that, with cars that I can afford to buy, or would want to own, then no, I do begin to struggle to come up with something else. Its More to do with the rarity and exclusivity that the Rallye (or Golf Limited as I also mentioned) can provide that interests me more.

The only thing on a Par with it for me is the Nissan Slyline R34. But, I would guess there are more of those built that the Golf rallye,(certainly more built that a Golf Rallye VR6) and I doubt very much I would ever be able to afford an R34.
    Edited by: RallyeVR6

19. drew Forum Member

The Rallye was a complete disaster both financially and in motorsport for VW.

In motorsport: Never won anything and hardly finished anything either as it kept blowing up. VW failed to see the upcoming rule changes and the Rallye became a white elephant.

Financially: Twice as expensive to buy new as a Mk2 16v. Unique body panels and even the doors.

On the road : Barely as quick as a Mk2 16v due to rather lame roadgoing power and excessive weight. Synchro system only allows 50% of power to go to the back, so not nearly as strong or effective as a Quattro.

The G60 supercharger was an R&D project management nightmare. It's been estimated that VW lost 300-500 for every supercharged car it sold, not counting recalls!

It's got its place. But it's hardly the best car they ever made!

Cheers,

Drew.

20. Scooby Dee New Member

You could have used my name ;)

It looks like the mark 2 Golf is a very popular model with you all, maybe another poll with all the popular models listed could be made (don't want to be upsetting Bagpuss and the others whose cars aren't on there :p ) [8D]
    Edited by: Scooby Dee