The best VW, ever made.

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Phil, Oct 26, 2003.

?

In your opinion, which was the best car VW made?

1. Beetle - First One

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mk1 Golf GTI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mk2 Golf GTI (8/16V/Rallye/G60)

100.0%
  4. Mk3 Golf VR6 - had to put this in [;)]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Mk4 R32

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Corrado VR6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jazzy16v New Member

i have to say the best looking Golf is the Mk2, (both bumper variants)... just a shame about the creature comforts and dashboard, but then that's what gives it character i suppose. I have thought of getting a mk3 VR6 but i don't think i wanna give up my 16v, plus trying to find a decent one is getting more and more difficult, but atleast the price of them is dropping. With this new 200bhp GTI, i am sure VR6 owners will dump them for these 200bhp GTI's.

2. D17ONA New Member

I'd have to say the beetle since I've got one lol, but I would actually have to deffo say the best VW was the Splitty Bus, I absolutely love them, and having driven one for the first time the other day I want one even more.

However tho for the best Water Cooled VW, I would say the Corrado since I have been in a few VR6's and they were lovely.

[8D]

3. phulla Forum Member

I have driven a mk1 (GL and GTI) and loved it.
    I have owned a mk2 (16v) and enjoyed it.
    I currently own a mk3 (Colour Concept 8v)and even though it is nice and comfortable with nice seats, electric everything, a/c, etc i had to vote for the Mk2! I have driven a standard mk3 VR6 and even though it is rapid and held the road fairly ok even with the softish ride and body roll, i still have to say the Mk2.

There could be things done better on the Mk2, but i say that having owned one and had the problems with it that a car will have, having covered over 140,000 miles and trying to compare it to a car of the 90's, even though the Mk2 was an early 80's design based on 70's technology.

4. mark d New Member

Sorry Drew, but that doesn't make it the best VW ever built, the most important possibly, but the best??? sorry, but no!!!

5. lewiscypher Forum Member

the mk2 is the best all rounder for me

Ive had a mk3,(loved it) have a mk1 ( doesnt run yet but thats not affecting my vote)

the mk2 is mechanically simple and cheap to run, has masses of feel and feedback, performmance which is still competetive today yet delivers 40+ mpg if you want costs peanuts to buy and run as an every day car. if it breaks its cheap and easy to mend

Ive had mine for three years its done 160 000 miles and runs as good as new and every time i get in a look forward to driving it without exception.I take the long ay home just for the hell of it yet it will carry the kids dogs and anything else I want

I call it "the car with no buts" I cant find a downside , and I cant find a replacement which will give me the same without costing a whole lot more without offerinfg anything but more wieght expense and complication ( ok maybe a bit of refinement but thats for old people)

As an allrounder its not just the best vw, but the best car in the "real world" in my view

6. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

I couldn`t have put it better myself.
    Edited by: VIW 2227

7. lewiscypher Forum Member

except without the typos I guess

one bottle of wine too many hic!

8. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Had a few myself I didn`t even noticed.Well put anyway.
    Edited by: VIW 2227

9. wolfie2 Forum Member

yep its got to be the mk2,i've owned all mk's except a mk3 and i've driven plenty of em to class, the mk2 comes up everytime,i even sold my mk4 to buy another mk2 allbe it a golf limited.