The Golfs

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Quiksilver, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Paid Member Paid Member

@rubjonny So what you're saying the light output was always pants, the bulbs got old in the 6 years of use like all filament ones do and to top it of my eyes even older now?

Its time to create a proper uprated headlight loom, ready or the light nights and summer months.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

no no, just that the root issue with all of these cars is the same. as the switches age you get less and less current through them, and eventually they burn out. adding the relay kit bypasses all of this to get you the very best light output and on top of that it also makes all of your switches last longer as they no longer have any load put on them :)

3. Quiksilver

@rubjonny did they fix this with the MK4's? That shape and generation of Golf is finally growing on me.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

not really no, the power for the lights still passes from ignition to headlight and flasher switches so there is potential for these to wear out and drop voltages available to the lights. they are newer cars though so will usually overall be better condition. you can still make relay kits for these just a little more fiddly as you have to make an inline plug for the 10 pin connector (assuming you dont want to hack up the loom that is)

models with xenons obviously totally different kettle of fish

5. Quiksilver

Oh Jesus..

6. Quiksilver

[​IMG]

MOT Time and it passed.

My super particular MOT test added a couple advisories.
    Brake Flexi - slightly perished - Replacements braided flexi’s ordered before i left and finished my coffee.

And a really strange one.
    I fitted a refurbished subframe and new lemförder track control arms, a couple of years ago.
    There’s play in the bolt not in the bush, only very slight but still

It’s got the correct bolt - N 904 840 03. - M12 x 1.5 x 82 - so I’m guessing the bolt hole in the subframe has elongated some how.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
  7. Quiksilver

Keep saying I need to use the MK2 more, this year my aim is to get over a 1000 miles between MOTs.
    I’ve also been on a mission recently to get it running right, 100% like it was before it came off the road.
    First step was replace all the vac lines and check the carb mounting gasket, both have made a massive impact on the drive, to the point I’ve given it a run out to Llandudno this weekend.

And this sunset couldn’t be missed, surprising what you can do with good lighting and steady knee and a iPhone.

[​IMG]

GVK, copeidge and Zender Z20 like this.
  8. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Apart from two really nice, sunny days that meant I'd to do all the long overdue jobs about the house / garden, it has pissed the rest of the time here... very envious!

Gonna try and rack the miles up like you too, between the cost of tax / insurance and probably being banned from driving it in a decades time, need to get out and enjoy the thing rather than it cluttering up the garage.

Quiksilver likes this.
  9. Quiksilver

Updates have been a little slow, I've been doing some jobs on friends and family cars - proper fiddly annoying issues.

MK2 is still driving like a new car with all the vacuum lines replaced, what a difference 2 meters of pipe can make.
    I'm a big fan of the digifiz mini's in the MK2 and always in communication with the guys who make them for a MK3 style gauge, well here are some early production items with a few marks on the face (I'm not bother about that) The inpro check temp 4 isn't fully clicked in, tho it looks on the piss its not.

[​IMG]

Another job I've been wanting todo after going down a very deep internet rabbit hole on the whole K - Line and immobilisers on MK3's (those friends and family give the best jobs) was getting the MK4 Golf Gamma V fully working in the MK3.
    First step was adding an iso pin to 5 will another live, then a second wire in to pin 3 linking in to the K - Line buzz bar above the fuse box.

[​IMG]

and the end result

[​IMG]

yep you guessed it

[​IMG]

With this software WDH-Diag which from what I can gather is a slimmed down open source version of VCDS, some where in-between VW Tool and VCDS you can access the configuration of the radio and check its set up to be in a Golf, and not a Bora, Passat or T4

[​IMG]

This software won't get the radio code from the eprom, for locked units.

10. Quiksilver

The Mk3 has been rocking a black boot lid of a long time, after the factory one rotted out around the number plate lights, and lock.

Garage87 was stripping a 'Blue GTI' which happens to be Windsor blue, bonus.

[​IMG]

The MK2 Heckenblend is looking very bleached in the image, that because the driveway is basically like Mercury most days, and everything gets baked.

costel1969 likes this.
  11. Quiksilver

Guess who's not touched a VW in 8 months other than to drive, and washed them all about 3 times in that same time frame. :lol:

Struggled with the shows this year, none really grabbed my attention - was looking for the Deutsch Collective over in NI but that got cancelled as we set sail from Holyhead on the ferry.

Zender Z20 likes this.
  12. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Looking forward to plenty of piccies of the new project ;)