Throttle Bodies info

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by altern8, Mar 25, 2005.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

If i wanted to buy some throttle bodies for my mk1 what do i need exactly

ive read and like the post from "mk1." that sounds good and cheap too

what alternative ecu's are there any good/bad ones

anyone know how much and how good the kit is from badger5

http://www.badger5.co.uk

if you got any more ifo paste it here too :)

cheers

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Looking at nearly 2000 for Bills kit with the DTA and DTH bodies.

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Programmable ECUs are only as good as the bloke mapping them.

4. altern8 Forum Junkie

ive been gatherin some bits so far i have most the parts ready for carbs apart from the carbs so i could use some for the itbs i think

i also got a 2l 16v engine
    ported head
    4/2/1 manifold
    blank shrick cams ;)
    balanced flywheel

and a few other goodies so itbs would be quite nice to finish it off

is there a cheap way to fit itbs like using carbs cut up

5. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

You can chop up carbs, or use bike itbs, both are reasonably cheap. If you can find a set you could also get itb's off a toyota 20v 4AGE, or I think the nissan pulsar gti-r ones are useable. You'll need a manifold to mount them on, if you're chopping up carbs you could try to source a second hand DCOE manifold (if you don't already have one), but that means gutting an expensive pair of DCOEs [:s] It's not too challenging to chop up a 16v lower manifold and modify it to accept bike itb's, but welding cast ally is tricky so unless you're handy with a tig you'll need to pay someone to do it for you.

You'll need a MAP sensor based engine management. Cheapest way would be the pug ecu, or there's digi 1, megasquirt, and emerald seem quite cheap at the mo too.

If your mk1 isn't a gti then you'll need to change the fuel system for an injection one, the carb stuff isn't up to the high pressures. Either way you'll need to get a fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator, injectors, and some plumbing in the engine bay.

6. altern8 Forum Junkie

cheers mart its a gti already and i got a carb manifold too

7. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

DCOE t'bodies also folks.. not just DTH ones ;)

8. altern8 Forum Junkie

whats the differnce in them apart from the way they bolt on [:s]

9. flusted Forum Member

Sorry to hi-jack but does anyone have a list of bits needed to convert a gti to bike itbs?

10. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Assuming you mean a 16v, in brief:

Bike itb's

Manifold

Air box/filter socks

Throttle linkage - original probably won't have much pedal travel so you'll need to bodge something up.

Injectors

Fuel rail - can use the bike one if you aren't respacing the bodies, otherwise you'll have to find another, 20vt rail could probably work, otherwise it's a custom job.

Fuel pressure regulator

Management - can get away with fuel-only management as the 16v ignition is a standalone system, but if you're going to all that effort you may as well get mappable ignition as well. Management needs to be MAP based, you can run with just throttle position as a load input but it's apparently a bugger to tune, and not ideal for a daily driver. Been lots of posts recently about management.

Depending on your choice of management you will need various sensors, and the wiring loom.

Catch can - losing the standard airbox means the crankcase breather has nowhere to go.

Assorted bits of plumbing etc (fuel hoses from hard lines to FPR/rail, vacuum hoses etc)

...and half a dozen little bits i've forgottten about
    [:$]
    Edited by: martyn_16v

11. mk1. Forum Junkie

dth is the neater option also giving you more room in the eng bay for a decent filter setup,dont think theres any difference in performance iirc,with the dcoe setup you are also moving the inj`s further away from the head which should help,end of the day use whats available at the price you can afford

12. C-N-M New Member

im looking into this a well just seen this on flea-bay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category =72205&item=7963512182&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

any good i know it one unit on its own but hey really just wanna buy an engine done ask rob-t but i think i may have said it the wrong way to him about what i meant waiting for a reply from s-gault[:^(]

where the best place to buy a complete set-up including engine i have a dta p8pro allready (was gonna go pants 20vt) so that will helpkeep me cost down just need engine &tb sorted anyone[:?:]

sorry for the hijack seems pointless starting a new post:lol:

also which engine is the best one to use as i have a abf and a 9a sitting around just need help on this sorry again alten8
    Edited by: C-N-M

13. altern8 Forum Junkie

more info the better [:D] i saw that itb too ;)

14. flusted Forum Member

wot pug ecu are we on about? i can get a manifold made no probs,wots the best bike itbs to use?can i use an abf fuel rail and mod my lower half of manifold? sorry for all the questions but when you get summink in your head like this,i need to get it all clear before i reck my motor [:$] !
    Edited by: flusted

15. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Pug ec... magnneti marreli 8p, wayne from chip wizzards is the man for mapping

Bike itb-s... for 1.8 valver 42mm gsxr 1000 are ideal apart from steep angle of butterflies(hard to mapp)

You can mod lower half of manifold(i'v just done 1 ;) ), and still retain vacum point for brakes servo. You can weld tube intakes to match spacing of gsxr bodies or you can space them out but you 'l have to modify linkages

Vauxhall injectors are good to use with high impedance

16. mk1. Forum Junkie

17. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Basically what sambo said :) GSXR 750/1000 K1/2 (2001/2002 model year) are the ones to look for, they are 4 separate bodies which are fairly easy to respace to a custom setup, as opposed to most other bodies which are made of two pairs of two bodies. Apparently if you can get hold of a set of bodies off a pulsar gti-r they are already the right dimensions to fit a 16v, but i've not got my gruuby mitts on a set to confirm this.

I wouldn't use an ABF fuel rail, it's a slightly odd setup with stumpy injectors, basically it's not easily upgradeable to higher flowing injectors so you may find yourself running out of fuel at the top end. I think the 20vt has the same bore spacing as the 16v so the fuel rail should be useable, otherwise i've heard jenvey can do one for about 40 or so.

I really must pull my finger out and turn the pile of bits in my shed into a running itb setup, everyone seems to be overtaking me :lol:

18. mk1. Forum Junkie

iirc hotgolf of here had some unsold one`s on ebay,he should be able to confirm dimensions :)

19. flusted Forum Member

I think i just did [:^:]
    Im goin for it now but im unsure wot to use for the fueling? ive got vsam for ignition mapping and this also does 5th injector.Does anyone know if i could write a map for the 5th injector to run all 4 injectors? or is there an easier alternative?

Edited by: flusted

20. altern8 Forum Junkie

are the dth ones the same bolt patten for most models
    specficlly 16v/20v heads :)