Top speed of a standard valver?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Kozy, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive got a mk3 valver with some added bits. without trying hard it ran upto 120 on the clock yesterday. cannot say how accurate that is or exactly how much it had left, but it wasnt hard lol

2. turbotommy Forum Member

Yes it is :) the F plater
    Although its not mine! i just borrowed it for that trip;)
    then promptly blew it up 50mls into the trip home [:s] wasn't my fault really, the others all had faster vehicles and i had no map!!!
    Gary isn't it? i remember saying hello in the car park :)

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah, that's me!

I've got a pic somewhere of your car, i'll post it up when I find it.

4. turbotommy Forum Member

Cool that be great :)
    Havn't quite worked out how to post pics on here yet! not that good with "puters" hows the VR coming along? well i hope?
    Sorry for hijacking this thread [:$]

5. Bups01 Forum Member

Had 140mp out of mine..:)

6. Seraph Banned

common sense at last!:clap:

7. loadsavalves

loadsavalves Forum Member

:lol: [:D]

8. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

i got about 130mph ish(speedo) out of mine, but it was really strugling to make anything above 110, theres just no power left at that speed

9. gsxr600nick Forum Member

hi i've only changed the exhaust & fitteded an induction kit and mine pulls off the clock (120) in 4th think may be the previous owner may have been tweeking[:D] off the road on an airfield

10. GVK

Cool car, what's the spec? [ hijack ] :lol:

Couple of 'ring car park pics here

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/GVK34/2006_0819clubgtiringtrip20060181.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/GVK34/2006_0819clubgtiringtrip20060180.jpg

11. turbotommy Forum Member

Thats the one :p
    its just a std 325i engine brand new head (not any more lol) no LSD (but needs/getting 1)std brakes no strut braces and no p/s! not sure if it has U/R ARB'S but there is very little body roll.
    poly bushed koni coil overs,fuel tank in the boot,bolt in cage,buckets/harnesses etc,plumbed in fire ext with all the prep done to a high standard.
    running toyo proxys
    Fantasic little car that everyone loves to drive,it just gives SO much feedback and is very well balanced you always know whats going on with no nasty suprises [:D] .So good in fact everyone agree's that putting a big power engine in it & mabe gippy tyres would upset the balance (although it might be fun it would loose the satisfaction and we have faster cars anyway) it will be getting a cam mind and an LSD for next year though along with something in the braking department as they tend to fade quite badly by the corkscrew (wehrseifen) then not again for the rest of the lap.
    Its so much fun that its not allowed to leave our group in fact and will be back in the spring :p
    Thanks for posting the pics Gary :clap:

12. GVK

No worries, I like the old E30s a mate had a late 325i sport a few years back, cracking car.. sooooo tail happy but controllable.

13. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

Does it not depend on what rev limter you have fitted?
    Mine is set at around 6750, which is an indicated 130mph.
    Bounced off this on the odd occasion, once when racing a really tidy looking cossie granada(225bhp) down the m5, no difference in acceleration at all to 130, which aint bad, as it looked like it may have been tuned and had been well loooked after.
    What year car is the higher rev limiter from? and where is it on the relay board.
    6750 aint enough for a valver with p+p head and inlet, cams etc.
    :)

14. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Most speedo's on any car "over-read" by about 5mph anyway.

My rev limiter is at 7250. No idea how you change it though....

15. davey Forum Member

135 on way back from gloster! got on the motorway an floored it 7am sunday morn absolute scream! wether the speedo is accurate or not its a silly speed that you cant stop giggling!! done 155 on me ducati and that is scary! is all a blur!! fun tho

16. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

Ive never hit the limiter, so i couldnt tell, but would that not cause some sort of damage to your engine ? Hence the need for a red line in your rev counter !

17. GVK

Revlimiter stops the engine revving over it's 'safe' design limit.

18. Seraph Banned

is that anywhere near Gloucester?:p [:D]

19. Nav16v Paid Member Paid Member

Before i fitted the twin zorst cams i hit 141 in my 16v, after i fitted them i hit 144. The second time round the speedo was broken so i used GVK's website to work it out, the revs were 7400 ish.
    I had a race with my uncles Jag which had gps fitted to it and i passed him at about 125mph. He told me after he backed off at (GPS speed) 135mph and i was still in front of him. :lol:
    All this was done on my private drag strip;)

20. beezy16v Forum Member

pah, i frequent the 120 mark, im sure on the right road, right conditions, right driver, there would be quite a lot left.

tried to prove it with a camera phone once, never trying that again. ever.