Track tyre dilemma

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by richie K, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Yes but it's a lot of money init lol 600 for some boots ? I moan that my a6 tyres cost 250 each but the misses uses that every daylol
    Think I'll be a cheapskate this year and use up my old road tyres . Once I've got a few track days out the way will look at special rubber:thumbup: as stated above the accounts department is looking at every I spend[:x]:cry:
    Really appreciate all the advice though will come in handy later :clap:

2. EZ does it Forum Member

I've got Yokohama AD08's on my Mk2 and they were great at Bedford a few weeks ago. They're cheaper that the common semi-slicks, and much grippier than normal road tyres, so worth considering.

Sirguydo likes this.
  3. HummuH Forum Member

Totally up to you mate, lots of reasonable options if you want to go down that route, but there's two sides to that. How does the saying go: Buy cheap, buy twice? :thumbup:

Personally, I don't see the point in having a track only car and not putting decent rubber on it. You can still have bags of sideways fun with them but stand less chance of out-braking yourself or understeering into the scenery!

tshirt2k likes this.
  4. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

All good points just been offered some part worn a048r so may be following your advice [:D]
    Thanks

5. richie K Forum Member

Looks like brand new Ao48's for me then. Best get saving!

6. HummuH Forum Member

Bit of a thread necro here but wanted to add my findings to this as I've been spending a lot of time trying to find the best MSA List 1B tyre.

In short, I have now tried Yoko A048's, Yoko AD08R's, Direzza D03G's, Toyo 888 and Kumho V70a's all in medium compound except the AD08R's which only come in one compound. Used VBox data, **** dyno and official timing from Knockhill to analyse results.

In short, given the conditions I have come to the following conclusions for which tyres to use when on the Corrado when racing:

Cold/Normal Dry: Kumho V70a - 0.7 seconds quicker over the 1.3 miles of Knockhill than any other tyre I have used, consistently.
    Hot/Sunny: Direzza D03G - take a bit of work to get heat into them so love warmer conditions and don't overheat like others do when it's baking hot.
    Greasy/Damp: Kumho V70a - quite incredible grip in greasy/damp conditions.
    Full wet: Yoko AD08R, plenty of tread to clear water and predictable traction - I haven't tried Kumho Soft in the wet, largely due to low tread depth but will try these at some point over the winter.

Won't necessarily work for everyone but this is what I have found.

7. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

What about 888's?

8. HummuH Forum Member

Nige, just didn't work well in medium compound although they were pretty good for wear rate. What I found was that they got up to temp quickly but they fell off the quickest of all the tyres. Very good for early grip but after 4 or 5 laps they were starting to fall back and probably overheating. That's not to say they are a bad tyre, far from it, but for my specific application I have found other tyres work better. Views from other saloon racers seem to confirm this also.

It's important to point out, and I should have done that in my post above, that we are generally running more power than your average trackday'er, running very stiff set up's and what we are looking for is consistent grip over a 10 to 15 minute period when pushing the car as hard as possible and searching lap times.

To put this in context, most tyres I have tried will last a maximum of two race meetings before they are past their best, that's about 3 hours of track time (testing, quali and races) with swapping tyres to minimise wear.

Nige likes this.
  9. ianb Forum Member

Go for Dunlops.....best gripping tyre and last much longer and don't overheat.

Currently running Yoko Advans and have run 888's and D01j's.