Turbo on its last legs, n75 fault?

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Dubnutter, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Dubnutter Forum Member

Occasionaly when i rev the car up with no load past 4k rpm the car starts to belch out black smoke and appears like its fireing on 3 cyls.

If left to idle it will nearly always slowly start to clear up after a min or two.

Anyone experienced this???

I have reason to believe the turbo is the original, as is the n75, which clicks loudly at idle or slow down.

Car is at 208k

2. Dubnutter Forum Member

I dont know if it does it on load because i never rev past 3.5k even in anger.

3. bazmcc Forum Member

Which engine?

4. Seatman Forum Member

Is that the 1Z/AHU job? A mate has the same one and when not under load it does the exact same thing, no idea why. Under normal mental driving conditions it works totally fine, it's just if you rev it to much without load for some reason. It could be that the fuel is turned up a bit high and it's flooding the cylinedrs or the timing is to retarded, I would do something about it but he doesn't care so I wont lol.

5. Dubnutter Forum Member

1z, tested today, does not do it under load, no fault codes. Static timing is unknown at the moment, good suggestion, i will do thr cambelt and reset timing first.

It is chipped based on perfect timing so that could be the cause.

6. bazmcc Forum Member

My guess is that the MAF might be written out of the map so you can have problems with smoke as it can't regulate the air intake as well without one.

7. Dubnutter Forum Member

The maf hasnt been written out as its only a mild tweak. The maf is also reading correctly so its not at fault. Timing is the only unknown at the moment so thats looking most likely the cause.

8. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

I've seen this a few times on bosch ve pumps, both td and tdi all running the standard rubbish fuel return thermo control thingy...ditch it, change to a pre 87 golf filter and bridge the return...I believe its rapid airation of the pump, the reason it doesn't happen under load is that the engine obviously takes long to rev than without any load

I may be wrong but my tdi did this on mot during the emissions test, its not done it since I've done the above, not even when I tested emissions on wvo for a giggle (still passed easily)

9. Dubnutter Forum Member

Keep up lreg, i did all that months ago! Lol

I did find an issue the same as chris (mod) with worn feed pipe under the inlet trunking.

It doesnt always do it, and it did it pre tune too.

My n75 is very noisy too, ticks very loud at idle, is that normal? I have never heard one on any other car make the same noise.

10. LregG

Sorry mate, the chronicles of dubnutter must have slipped through the net ;)

Just a quick question...Why are you free revving your car past 4k?

11. Dubnutter Forum Member

Iv just been doing some spring cleaning in the inlet department, making sure the last of all the crud gets burnt up. I dont
    Make a habbit of it lol, i tend to shift up at 1800-2000rpm for economy and 3000rpm for power so i never need to at load.

Im very disapointed, i have been following your twin tank storys! Its next on my list once the meth kit arrives.

12. LregG

I wouldn't be concerned if it drives fine under load...and to burn off the crud, I'd go and find a nice big hill and go up it at wot changing at 3.5k rpm

13. Dubnutter Forum Member

Yeah thats my olan for the way home from work tonight. I need to get some clarifacation off you for the twin tank setup. Where to get bits, rough costs and layout etc. planning on running svo soon. May have to p.m a load of questions lol

14. m1keh Forum Member

You should rev right through to at least 4500 if you really want to clean it out ;).

15. LregG

As with any turbo application, the exhaust pressure will drop off near the top end of the rev range, especially with such a closed cam as on the 1z...hence why I suggested to change at 3.5k to keep it at full boost (I've not yet datalogged boost vs rpm yet, so this is a guess)

16. m1keh Forum Member

You'll find it doesn't drop off that much till at least 4000, from memory even 4500...
    [​IMG]

17. Seatman Forum Member

Dam straight m1keh, with my bigger nozzles and the timing up at the line (70) I have power right up till about 4400 rpm anyway, even bounced into the red the other day but then it's an ALH. I wonder if the pumps are better on the AGR/ALH engines.

18. Dubnutter Forum Member

Il be ready for to up the tune again soon mike.

Did you get my p.m btw?

19. LregG

Ahu uses a ko3, whereas a 1z uses the smaller gt15. Can it still hold boost as well as it's slightly smaller?

20. Dubnutter Forum Member

Tbh my turbo seems to cling on until the redline almost. Not bad for a 208k std blower. M1ke's responsible for that.