twin webers not starting after engine out

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by phil88, Dec 30, 2009.

1. WAK

wak Forum Member

think i'll get a pro on the job lol, i did have it out on the road a while bak for about a mile, went ok but think it was down on power.. and last time it weezed after starting it after the run it started first time with no weezing etc and the following couple of days no probs, it was lying there for 8 weeks and i only tried to start it today but gave up after 5 mins cause i was jumping it off a mates car which was about to run out...

will have to wait until after new year now though :( plus it as bloomin cold working on it in the snow...

2. EZ does it Forum Member

I know what you mean, my projects moving slooooowly, frozen fingers and about 10 seconds of daylight per day [:x]

3. WAK

wak Forum Member

nie on perfectly horizontal... might have been a long puddle up to the butterfly, didnt really look all that good!!

4. EZ does it Forum Member

Heres a little bit of info from another site:

Does the puddle come back after you mop it up? Sounds like the float level is much too great or the jets are badly seated, when installing jets you should push them just a little way into the holder, then when you screw the holder into the carb the jet slides back into the correct position in the holder while seating firmly on the carb body.
    If you shove the jet all the way into the holder it won't seat to the carb body properly, and fuel will leak past!

5. EZ does it Forum Member

Some good general info on DCOE's here, here, here and here.

Hope they're helpful.

6. WAK

wak Forum Member

I've not touched the carbs since i've had it, just swapped them over from old engine (kr to kr) and they had been set up 500 miles before on rr, could me man handling them (not roughly lol) knock floats or anything out??

7. phil88 Forum Member

checked timing, notch on the top of the cambelt and then aligned the rotor arm to the notch on the distributor.

checked the float levels, I have about an inch deep of petrol in there:

[​IMG]

now for the jets spraying... looking down them are they the things halfway down? if so im not getting anything coming out

8. phil88 Forum Member

ah rite there at the back....
    [​IMG]

so to check these do i have to rev it when cranking?

9. WAK

wak Forum Member

that last link is so funny, and about the only one i understood (altough i only read it cause it was funny poor wee gnomes running about my carbs, i'll be more considerate next time lol)
    When i have more time i'll look through the other links,

cheers again

10. EZ does it Forum Member

I've never opened mine up after running the fuel pump, but thinking about the position of the floats, and size of bowls, an inch seems too little, first stop float level adjustment?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  11. EZ does it Forum Member

The thing with the spray coming out is the idle mix, the thing the right or that is the progression drillings, and further still to the right is the auxiliary venturi, where the main jet fuel comes out, if you have a look over those links you'll find stuff about the three 'circuits' (idle, progression & main). It's useful to understand them.

12. EZ does it Forum Member

Possible, the floats and tabs are made out of pretty thin metal, probably wouldn't be too difficulty to knock them out of position. You're recommended to check adjust the float levels as general maintenance every few thousand miles I think. Certainly won't harm to check.

13. phil88 Forum Member

Ok, the floats where a bit out, Ive adjusted them and checked them to find more petrol in the well.

just before i changed that though as i was cranking the engine i think i got combustion from a cylinder, i got a bang and smoke came out of the trumpets. but that was it

Ive took the spark plugs out, ive found that plugs 3+4 are coated in petrol and 1+2 are dry :S

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  14. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

15. phil88 Forum Member

cheers, that should help me out :)

I adjusted the regulator and im now getting jets of petrol coming from the accelerator pump jets. its a very thin dense straight jet of petrol. that correct?

16. EZ does it Forum Member

Yep, think so!
    Are they even?

17. phil88 Forum Member

yeah, had them all out to check there the same and gave them a clean.

it feels like the almost there, damn car....

the little beast:
    [​IMG]

18. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Just blast some easy start down them, my car will run on that stuff alone :lol:

Or when I've actually got some fuel connected to the carbs it soon remembers how to run properly after easy start has done it's job!

19. phil88 Forum Member

right...

cheers for the tip Jolfa, the car is practically running of the stuff [:D] but... doesn't seem like im getting the right level of petrol in there to keep it going. Need to get a gauge really and a haynes guide on carbs.

Unfortunately the car is up at my parents near manchester and im back down to london tomorrow. So looks like the project is on hold again... so nearly there too [:^(]

20. EZ does it Forum Member